Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

After the Fall - When the Rubber Didn't Meet the Road(Warning: Pic)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

After the Fall - When the Rubber Didn't Meet the Road(Warning: Pic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 09:54 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
As others have said, glad you were not hurt more. Typically broken collar bones occur when the rider stick his or her hand out to break the fall. Hitting directly on the shoulder tends to be a very ahrd way to break a collar bone. SOOOOO, one thing you can take out of this is that you did something right. You kept your arms and hands in. Heal quickly and completely.
Old 09-05-12, 11:35 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
As others have said, glad you were not hurt more.... SOOOOO, one thing you can take out of this is that you did something right. You kept your arms and hands in. Heal quickly and completely.
I've practiced, in my mind, falling off my bike, and relaxing my body in the process, and not sticking out a hand and an arm. However, I have to admit the fall was so fast, there was no time to think. I was just lucky I did what I think was an involuntary 180 degree flip, landing mostly on my back/side.
Old 09-05-12, 12:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Had my own crash last week, and suffered a "grade III acromioclavicular joint separation:"

No fractures, thankfully, some road rash and of course the AC joint thing. I just got back from the orthopedic surgeon, who is not recommending surgery ("studies show the outcomes are the same with or without surgery"), so it's rest, range of motion exercises, 5# weight restriction on that arm, and physical therapy once the swelling/inflammation is down. Surprisingly, he said I could ride, provided I "take it easy" and avoid putting pressure on the right arm.
Old 09-05-12, 04:17 PM
PatW

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
The gods of cycling are very pleased with your blood sacrifice and will reward you for your faithfulness. I asked just how they were going to do that and they gave me a somewhat evasive answer, but I'm sure it will be something really good.

Ive had two or three installation errors and I'm lucky they didn't kill me. For one, I can tell you never try to reuse a Shimano chain pin after you've removed it. That's a very bad idea.
That sounds like the voice of experience speaking. Is there a story there?
Old 09-05-12, 10:01 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

JohnDThomson wrote: "Had my own crash last week, and suffered a "grade III acromioclavicular joint separation:"

Have a speedy recovery!

Last edited by icyclist; 09-05-12 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 10:14 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
The gods of cycling are very pleased with your blood sacrifice and will reward you for your faithfulness. I asked just how they were going to do that and they gave me a somewhat evasive answer, but I'm sure it will be something really good.
It's a good thing it doesn't hurt to laugh. ;-)
Old 09-16-12, 11:17 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm delighted to read this wasn't much worse. I crashed last year at about 35-40 MPH, crushing my T9 vertebra and doing a lot of other damage. While your pic looks painful, riding out of it likely helped.
Old 09-17-12, 05:51 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Its amazing how fast things can happen. One moment, its a great day rolling along and the next split second...
Old 09-17-12, 07:24 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
JohnDThomson wrote: "Had my own crash last week, and suffered a "grade III acromioclavicular joint separation:"

Have a speedy recovery!
Speedy recovery to both of you! Two months tomorrow since I fell biking to work and broke nothing (hooray!) but am still nursing a shin hematoma which is s-l-o-w-l-y becoming smaller and less annoying. Has hardly affected my riding, thankfully.

Stay as active as possible..............
Old 09-18-12, 11:30 AM
TomD77

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I raced motorcycles, everyone wore leathers, saved my as* on a couple of occasions. Shame there is no practical way to adopt the concept to bicycling.