Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Uno Outlaw

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-24, 10:22 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Uno Outcast tire question

Getting a Uno Outcast from Bike Island. Can I switch the 700x38c to 700x32c?

Last edited by Lucillle; 01-17-24 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-24, 11:23 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
The bike as a whole isn't that exceptional and please don't be fooled by the fake price they list the price was never anywhere near 800 and will never climb that high. However ride the bike and the tires till you need replacements if you are deadset on that bike. The tires are tires that make sense on that bike it is a low initial cost single speed with a bought name to give it some prestige. It is a serviceable bike and totally rideable but it is so mired in marketing hype, that isn't even fun or cool, that you could easily be mistaken it is the best bike on the planet.
Old 01-20-24, 08:49 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
Why go smaller on the tires?
Old 01-22-24, 10:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
fitting a 32 tire won't be an issue. I've got the drop bar version, the bike has its issues but its also fun. Get new pedals, mine lasted less than 5 miles before the plastic split off the metal spindle. The weight is chunky, that all steel fork is heavy and there's not a lot of good alternatives for it. Crank is heavier but fine. Biggest issue I have with it is that it uses a 120mm rear hub, that size in disc offers no good alternatives. I've since rebuilt the hubs with some carbon rims I got cheaply and some butted spokes and alloy nipples, its still a 24lb bike. However, I've ridden all over NYC with it, through queens, brooklyn, manhatten and the bronx and always enjoyed the trip. I can toss it in a travel bag and take it off to St. Louis and enjoy kicking around there without worrying about damaging an expensive bike. In Dec I raced SS in cyclocross nationals in Louisville and the geometry saw to it the bike handled just fine through all the tight corners. Its often the first bike I grab to head out the door to go run errands; simple, comfortable, and handles well. It isn't a great bike, but its a nice bike, enjoy.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-29-24, 06:19 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
Yes, but I can't see why you would. You won't go any faster.

Originally Posted by Lucillle
Getting a Uno Outcast from Bike Island. Can I switch the 700x38c to 700x32c?