Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Any old friends here?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Any old friends here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 01:05 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Any old friends here?

Hello,
I'm pretty new to this forum and more so to this sub forum.
I'm wondering if there others of my generation riding fixed and single speed.
I took up riding road fixed gears 10-12? years ago.
I'm now 72, but it's still my preferred choice.
I especially want to hear from my seniors for inspiration.
Thanks much in advance to your response.
By
Old 03-06-24, 05:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I'm 72 as well. My first good racing bike (i.e., with tubular/sew-up tires) was a track bike and was given to me on my 13th birthday. I've owned maybe a couple of dozen high-end bikes over the years, including a series of track bikes. There are still 3 fixed-gear bikes in the collection, although I do fewer long hilly rides on them than I used to, out of consideration for my knees.
Old 03-06-24, 11:00 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I took up riding fixed probably close to the same time. It was maybe the golden age of the fixed gear trend? I think TejanoTrackie is old school cool
Old 03-06-24, 11:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
70 here. I raced long ago. My club vets told me I needed to set my beater bike up fix gear to educate my legs to pedal better. They were so right! Learned that winter that fix gear riding was like driving in snow with a standard vs automatic. Easier to stay upright. (And nothing to break when you couldn't.) Sold. That was 1976.

Since then I have always had one; that bike as a continuous entity with parts replaced as needed. (The frame 4 times. Once all but the Campy track hubbed rear wheel. Stolen with an inferior wheel on it.) And starting 2006, I added one, then a couple of fun, performance road fix gears. (That first was and still is a '70s-'80s frame, fenders, LowRider rack, U-lock and miles of reflector tape workhorse.)

Now I have two good ones. The bike of my avatar photo - a custom Ti Cyles, fix-fix hub - and sometimes a lightweight chainwhip you can see on the top tube and all the cogs from 12 to 24 teeth. And my old Peter Mooney, now running an 1/8" triple and fix-fix hub. For mountain days, I run a 21-17 double cog on one side and a little downhill cog on the other. Typically a 46-42-36 crankset. 3 very different gear ratios, 3 very good chainlines. And all on a regular horizontal Campy dropout. Fun! Both bikes have been up to Crater Lake, around and down.

As you might have guessed by now, I absolutely love riding fix gear.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-06-24 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Accidental post. I was still typing
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-06-24, 06:20 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I just turned 64 and have been riding "mostly" SingleSpeed for the last 10+years because I discovered how peaceful it was to ride Solo and at my own pace.
The last time I rode Fixed was when I was still in my single digits on my Big Wheel . Learning to ride Fixed now gives me the Willies.
My most recent SS purchase also happens to be my first BMX. Looking forward to ripping up the hood lol
Old 03-06-24, 09:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
This thread is an older thread but generally active-ish:
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...thread-41.html

Also another +1 for TejanoTrackie he is up there (I want to say 80s and still racing?) and I think has almost all fixed gears and single speeds, dude is what we all should aspire to be : )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-08-24, 07:50 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
This thread is an older thread but generally active-ish:
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...thread-41.html

Also another +1 for TejanoTrackie he is up there (I want to say 80s and still racing?) and I think has almost all fixed gears and single speeds, dude is what we all should aspire to be : )
Hey, thanks much for the love. I’m only 77 and don’t race anymore, but I do ride fixed a lot. I have 12 fixed gear bikes and 5 single speeds, and don’t plan to build or buy anymore. I’m a steel is real kind of guy, although I do prefer aluminum for racing. I began riding fixed in the early 1970’s, converting my geared road bike to fixed in the winter with very low gearing to regain the speed in my leg muscles. I raced track for about 40 years, during which time I did manage to win a few state masters championships and medal at nationals. I now ride bikes strictly for recreation, health and fitness.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-08-24, 08:53 AM
halb 

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Next month I'll be 82 and have been riding mostly one speeds for 30 years.
I'm a better runner than cyclist. I did finish 5th in vets class cyclocross nationals once, but there was snow, and I got to run up the hills.
The bike has saved my chronic achilles, and I consider it cross training, but in truth, I love it more than running.
Tried fixed gear, but scared myself on downhills. I don't know how you guys do it.
Likes For halb:
Old 03-08-24, 02:33 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by halb
Tried fixed gear, but scared myself on downhills. I don't know how you guys do it.
It’s really easy if you use a front brake. The secret is to keep pedaling so that you don’t bounce, and ride the front brake to control your speed. Also, good foot retention is a must.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-10-24, 09:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by halb
Next month I'll be 82 and have been riding mostly one speeds for 30 years.
I'm a better runner than cyclist. I did finish 5th in vets class cyclocross nationals once, but there was snow, and I got to run up the hills.
The bike has saved my chronic achilles, and I consider it cross training, but in truth, I love it more than running.
Like Tejano said use a brake or brakes and make sure you have good foot retention. Nothing scarier than your foot slipping and you having to try and get it back on the pedals which happened to me in my early days. It really isn't super difficult once you figure out your bike and get comfortable on it. Obviously at 82 it is going to be maybe more of a challenge but one that can be overcome. I will sometimes try and slow my legs a little (no skidding or locking up per say) while using the brakes for modulation. I am lucky I don't have any huge hills near me so I never have too much steep and long downhill but little bits here and there.

Basically it is just a commitment you are making with your bike to stick with it and trying on more mellow hills will help build that up. I am certainly a bit more of a nervous cyclist at more potentially dangerous points but knowing people do it all the time and just saying you got this helps get that confidence up and you get through it quite easily.
Old 03-11-24, 06:42 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
I'm 47 and the fixed gear riders here are really an inspiration. I want to keep it up for another 30+ years!
I haven't raced since 2009 but I think this is the year I get back into road racing and I'm hoping to get up to TTown to try my legs on the velodrome.
An inspiration, I tell you!

Phil
Old 03-11-24, 07:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
It’s really easy if you use a front brake. The secret is to keep pedaling so that you don’t bounce, and ride the front brake to control your speed. Also, good foot retention is a must.
On foot retention - the best is old fashioned toestraps, clips and slotted aluminum cleat. Because downhill you can end up pedaling really fast. Like 200-250 RPM fast. At those speeds, you have no clue what angle your foot is and I am certainly not going to look down to check. Unclipping happens. With clipless pedals - well that spinning pedal better not hit your foot or ankle. Unclipping with toestraps also happens. Less often if you use very good leather straps in good condition and pulled tight. But the grace is those toestraps. Your foot's still on the pedal despite your heart being in your mouth. Touch the brakes (you did bring them, no?), swallow that organ back to where it belongs, slide your foot forward until the cleat re-engages and all is good. Carry on!

Now, it is true that you will have more pedal unclipping related crashes. But those happen at speeds of downwards of 3 miles per hour. Usually not life threatening. I've lived through dozens. Skinned a couple of elbows and knees. Holed a few pieces of clothing. Dented my ego. Scuffed bar tape and pedal outers. But all my joints still work. (Trick - great the road with every corner you have. Elbow, knee, then forearm, ankle and hip. Rotate elbow and knee out. Not rigid, but just a firmish first impact. Enough places and none get more than very minor bruising. You are going slow so you will probably not even break the skin.

With good brakes and toeclips, downhills become fun. You pedal just shy of going bouncy haywire. A little too much? Dip on that brake. Keep doing it. You will get smoother and faster and have more fun. And you reap wonderful pedaling benefits all the time on any bike you ride. Plus this wonderful gift of learning to recover as you pedal. Races and group rides that are a little too fast? Thank you, fix gear! Every slight break in the action you can go full-time into recover pedaling 120 RPM.

70 years old now. I do far less of this stuff. But still, more than half my miles are fixed. I did my last 450 mile Cycle Oregon fixed at 69. Long ago I used to ride up Oakland, CA's Joaquin Miller Road to Skyline, turn around and descend insanely fast. Never got passed by a car going down. Nice wide road but I was probably considered too crazy to mess with. (And side benefit - I would be completely loose and relaxed when I got home despite climbing 1000' on a 42-17.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-17-24, 09:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Just 63 here; been riding fixed just over a year. Kind of loving it actually.

I've been into randonneuring since 2010, and was inspired to see guys on long brevets riding fixed. In England two years ago I came across an old school fixed gear dude - wool jersey, wool shorts, toe clips. He was probably ten years my senior.

Finally jumped in, and rode my first fixed 100km ride December 2022. Per Strava I have 2k miles fixed. I think about eight 100km rides and one at 200km. This year I'm going all in and attempting a Super Randonneuring series. We'll see how that goes.
Old 03-17-24, 09:22 PM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
55 here....senior discount time. Get out and ride.
Old 03-17-24, 09:26 PM
chunkymonkeybik

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
55 and have a track bike since 1987. A DeBarnardi frame. A workout! Want a thrill? Do a track bike ride and then get off and go for a jog. Your legs will be burning. Have a good one.
Old 03-18-24, 04:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Started riding track bikes in 1964, at age 13, with a Reynolds 531 Helyett; so 60 years ago. Still have one steel 531 track bike - a mid-1960's Peugeot with all its original Campagnolo components.

But I do all my fixed-gear riding on a Specialized Langster - aluminum frame and fork, road geometry. Of the many bikes I've owned over the decades, it's my all-time-favorite.

Came with two brakes; took the back one off when the bike was new, in 2005; put it back on last year. That little bit of increased safety has made the bike more fun to ride, especially in traffic.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-18-24, 04:58 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
But I do all my fixed-gear riding on a Specialized Langster - aluminum frame and fork, road geometry. Of the many bikes I've owned over the decades, it's my all-time-favorite.

Came with two brakes; took the back one off when the bike was new, in 2005; put it back on last year. That little bit of increased safety has made the bike more fun to ride, especially in traffic.
Bought my first SS in 2010....a 2009 Langster. The bike is a blast to ride and was my go to for almost a decade.
I swapped out the drops for bull-horns a few years ago and found the TT levers provide so much more stopping power.
One of my "never sells" ...........
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-23-24, 12:39 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Soon to be 64 youngster here riding a 31-year-old bike set-up as a carbon belt drive single speed.

Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 03-23-24, 06:26 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
69 here, and I started riding fixed gear in 1995 after purchasing an Ibis Scorcher. Over the years I’ve sold off most all of my FG rides. I still ride fixed on occasion…an old Bianchi Pista.
Old 03-24-24, 06:05 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
69 here, and I started riding fixed gear in 1995 after purchasing an Ibis Scorcher. Over the years I’ve sold off most all of my FG rides. I still ride fixed on occasion…an old Bianchi Pista.
Should've kept that Scorcher, hmmm?

Another old guy riding a sw8 phiksie here - amazed there's so many of us still hangin' in this place. Ride Safe...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 04-11-24, 07:44 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
62-year-old here, on-again-off-again cyclist since 1974 or so, and more than half my mileage since 1998 has been on fixed or single-speed bikes. I only owned one track-ish FG, a Bianchi Pista I bought in late '99 and sold maybe a year later. Today I own THREE fixed-gears, a converted '71 Gitane TdF that is my get-on-and-go beater, a converted '73 Raleigh Competition )set up with 35 mm cyclocross tires with a Surly Dingle cog and a White Industries 2-speed freewheel and two chainrings which gets me fixed pavement and gravel road gears on one side of the hub and general noodling and gentle single track freewheel gears on the other), and a full-on custom road fixed-gear I spec'ed for long haul distance rides like centuries and brevets.

The hipster scene never came to this corner of South Carolina, but I have a couple of associates I ride with sometimes who understand the appeal of fixed or ss on the road. It helps that there WAS a serious scene of single-speed mountain bike guys here a few years back - the local twisty, turny, woodlands trails in this part of the Upstate work really well with fully-rigid 26-in tire bikes!

I have never been a competitive rider, but I have led several multi-surface rambles around here, while riding fixed and attempting to revive old-school British cycling club jaunts rather than all-out hammerfests.
Old 04-11-24, 08:08 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
62-year-old here, on-again-off-again cyclist since 1974 or so, and more than half my mileage since 1998 has been on fixed or single-speed bikes. I only owned one track-ish FG, a Bianchi Pista I bought in late '99 and sold maybe a year later. Today I own THREE fixed-gears, a converted '71 Gitane TdF that is my get-on-and-go beater, a converted '73 Raleigh Competition )set up with 35 mm cyclocross tires with a Surly Dingle cog and a White Industries 2-speed freewheel and two chainrings which gets me fixed pavement and gravel road gears on one side of the hub and general noodling and gentle single track freewheel gears on the other), and a full-on custom road fixed-gear I spec'ed for long haul distance rides like centuries and brevets.

The hipster scene never came to this corner of South Carolina, but I have a couple of associates I ride with sometimes who understand the appeal of fixed or ss on the road. It helps that there WAS a serious scene of single-speed mountain bike guys here a few years back - the local twisty, turny, woodlands trails in this part of the Upstate work really well with fully-rigid 26-in tire bikes!

I have never been a competitive rider, but I have led several multi-surface rambles around here, while riding fixed and attempting to revive old-school British cycling club jaunts rather than all-out hammerfests.
I moved to Portland at the height of the fix gear/hipster scene. Pretty funny. They looked down at my workhorse with fenders, U-lock and LowRider. Until they started getting that I'd been riding fix gear since before they were born.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-11-24, 01:43 PM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
51 here did the BMX racing thing mid and late 80's. Switched to road from 1991 until current. Started the fix gear about 6 years ago. I really like the workout and the simplicity. Below is my fixed (pedals are now toe clips). Usually do 10-12 mile routes couple times during the week and ride the road bike on the weekend.
Likes For EJM73:
Old 04-25-24, 07:01 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Wow! Allow me just to say you guys are an inspiration! Age is just a number, keep on keepin' on brothers and sisters.