Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bad behavior and witty insight...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bad behavior and witty insight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 12:34 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
.....The pretty lights won't save you. YOU must save you.....
♤♤♤♤♤♤
If you've ever seen a poker player fold after a raise, saying, "too rich for my blood." You'll understand what follows.

Whenever you proceed on a green light you're betting that the ALL cross traffic, is going to obey the red and stop.

It's not an unreasonable bet, and therefore we all drive our cars through on greens with a decent level of confidence. Otherwise the entire concept of traffic lights would be meaningless. In any case, it's a bet we're willing to make, since our potential loss is limited by a steel cage.

OTOH- when I'm on my bike, the stakes are much higher, and simply, "too rich for my blood".

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-14-23 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-14-23, 12:20 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
♤♤♤♤♤♤

Whenever you proceed on a green light you're betting that the ALL cross traffic, is going to obey the red and stop.
Agreed with your assessment with one footnote:

Even in my car I do not proceed immediately when a light turns green as SO MANY New Orleans motorists run red lights, and not just by accident. They just don't feel like waiting. So I use the same EXACT rules for traffic signals and other intersections in my car as I do on my bike. The only difference is in the car I actually obey all the traffic laws, on the bike - not so much.

1. Look BOTH ways before crossing any street, even a one-way street.

2. If you CAN'T SEE, you CAN'T GO.

3. If you're NOT SURE , you can't go.

My bones are at risk on the bike. My money is at risk in the car. I spent too much on my current "steel cage" (Camry) to have it damaged, or risk some monster truck climbing through my driver's side window into my lap.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-14-23, 01:11 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Agreed with your assessment with one footnote:

Even in my car I do not proceed immediately when a light turns green
My late father instilled this habit in me when I started driving. From experience I've seen numerous times from behind the wheel of my car the red-light runners. More imperative that I practice this on my bike.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 10-14-23, 01:13 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
Joey Bike:
it's not just NOLA. I had my first ever car to bike collision in 60 years of riding last fall. Fortunately I saw the left hook at the stop light early enough and was able to make it a glancing blow.

Also fortunate that I already had my Winter studded tires on, so the car needed to have the side repainted. Yes, it was an inattentive driver, probably a cellphone...

But I see at least one serious violation almost every day. I even saw a car blow a red light right in front of Fargo's finest and the cop didn't do anything.

Your rules are spot on, and I normally do the same thing, but I was headed for a business meeting and got sloppy. And I did have the right of way and we were both sitting at the light waiting for it to change, but... yeah. Hopefully it will be another 60 years until the next time.

I used to commute by motorcycle in SoCal and I was sure that cars were much more cautious on the days I had a softball bat with me.
​​
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 10-14-23, 02:00 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
...it's not just NOLA....I see at least one serious violation almost every day.​​
Drove my car to a doctor's appointments just yesterday. It's about a 15 minute drive each way. A pickup truck next to me blatantly ran a red that I stopped for. Almost can't blame him as the light is TWO AND A HALF MINUTES each cycle. We had already waited once. The intersection is very wide and he was in it for at least five seconds. Thankfully cross traffic was obeying "Joey's Rules" as well. Then I saw another stop at a red and just go when it was clear endangering no one but STILL! On the way home it was school zone time and a sedan flashed by me weaving through 20 mph traffic in the school zone. He/she likely missed the school zone sign which is very easy to do in NOLA. Many are hidden behind overgrowth of the lights are not functional. Most are photo enforced.

So THREE blatant violations in 30 minutes of driving that I noticed.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-16-23 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For JoeyBike: