Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My family on bikes in 1942.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 04:22 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts

Found clearing out a relative's house. My maternal Grand Aunts & Uncle... Ruth, Beulah, and Roy Werkheiser from Stroudsburg, PA in 1942. Zero story on the photo, and nobody left to ask. They didn't have money or ride bikes as far as I know, so it's a bit of a mystery. We also never threw anything out, and in all my years I never saw bikes in anyone's basement. Cool pic I'm happy to have though.

I knew Ruth best. The family was religious and fairly conservative, so I was surprised as a boy to hear her say if death was her eternal rest she wanted to go in her pajamas. She made it to 91...and indeed was buried in her pajamas.

Old 12-03-23, 05:06 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
What, no drive side pic?!

Just kidding. Great pic, and snappy outfits too!
Old 12-03-23, 07:35 PM
FrejusFlyer

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 73 Posts
Nice! Very dapper family!
Old 12-03-23, 08:01 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Who's in the basket?
Old 12-03-23, 08:53 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Bet it’s a Wild basket
Old 12-04-23, 09:48 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
My mom used to carry my little sister in the front basket the same way, although she did lay a blanket in first for a bit of padding. Once, she spilled my sister out onto the sidewalk while walking the bike at a crosswalk. The front wheel hit the curb and, with no weight on the seat, the back end flew up. No injuries besides a skinned knee, but my sister was pretty scared.
Old 12-04-23, 03:33 PM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Found clearing out a relative's house. My maternal Grand Aunts & Uncle... Ruth, Beulah, and Roy Werkheiser from Stroudsburg, PA in 1942. Zero story on the photo, and nobody left to ask. They didn't have money or ride bikes as far as I know, so it's a bit of a mystery. We also never threw anything out, and in all my years I never saw bikes in anyone's basement. Cool pic I'm happy to have though.

I knew Ruth best. The family was religious and fairly conservative, so I was surprised as a boy to hear her say if death was her eternal rest she wanted to go in her pajamas. She made it to 91...and indeed was buried in her pajamas.

Oh man that is awesome!
Old 12-04-23, 04:10 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Who's in the basket?

Not labeled, so unknown.

Ruth did have a son Roy born in '39. I suppose the kid in the basket could be 3 year old Roy.

This is the one thing I look forward to and like about facial recognition and AI technology...I assume at some point the computer will be able to tell us who all these people are so long as it can find other clearly established matches. I'm holding lots of old photos (even tin photos) with hopes of knowing who's in them some day.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 12-04-23, 05:46 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I always like looking for the outhouses and clotheslines in those old photos. So much a part of life back then.
Old 12-04-23, 07:03 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by MaxKatt

This is the one thing I look forward to and like about facial recognition and AI technology...I assume at some point the computer will be able to tell us who all these people are so long as it can find other clearly established matches. I'm holding lots of old photos (even tin photos) with hopes of knowing who's in them some day.
I hear that. I ended up with a bunch of family photos. Finally had a chance to talk to my oldest living relative before he passed away. I showed him a stack of photos that had fallen out of various albums. He shuffled through the pile, then shook his head. “I’m sorry,” he said, “ I don’t recognize any of these people.” And this was a man who was as sharp as could be until the day he died. I don’t want to be the one to throw the photos away, but I have no idea who these people were and I’m two generations from people who might have the answers.
Old 12-04-23, 07:10 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I always like looking for the outhouses and clotheslines in those old photos. So much a part of life back then.
While you won’t find an outhouse in my backyard, I’m C and V when it comes to drying clothes. Yes, I have a dryer, but the clothesline is the preferred option for drying clothes. Especially towels. Line dried a load just last week. They smell like outside.
Old 12-04-23, 08:21 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
What a great memory.......
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 12-04-23, 08:24 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Our historic family farm is near Liverpool, not far from Stroudsburg. That's Pennsylvania Dutch (Amish) country down there and you see a lot of young people riding bicycles in straw hats and bonnets.The roads in that area are fantastic as long as you stay off the main drags, which are loaded with insane rednecks. Just be prepared for short, very steep climbs. With all the non-motorized users -- walking, on bikes, or in buggies -- drivers seem to be more watchful on the secondary roads than in many areas, not that bad things never happen.

I recall as a child my father having a flat seat with a steel back attached to the handlebars, with a couple of braces going down to the front axle and footpegs attached to these. I remember being a bit scared because the only thing protecting my feet from the spokes were his instructions to "Keep your feet out of the spokes." I instinctively realized that would, indeed, be a very bad thing when I looked down and saw all those ankle slicers spinning inches from my feet. No safety straps, no helmets, today he would be arrested for child abuse but, boy, it sure was fun.