Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wire bead tire on hookless rim with a tube?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-23, 03:26 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 723 Posts

I recently came into some very affordable tubeless rims in 27.5" while looking to change the wife's c-dale dual suspension to 27.5", didn't realize at the time of order that they were new enough to be hookless, but due to their price I snapped up enough to build an extra set for my kid. Basically, after ordering the rims, plus tires for the wife, and still needing to order hubs and spokes, plus some other wheels for other kids, I haven't really got the cash for yet more tires. The kid's bike has wire bead tires which wouldn't stretch like a folding tire which I understand is the principle issue with non-tubeless tires on hookless rims, and I can remember when hookless rims were somewhat common on the cheapest crap you could buy at ames or sears and we still safely installed them as long as you didn't go above 65psi. Same concept, obviously with a tube, work with the modern carbon version?
Old 04-04-23, 03:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
I run Conti non tubeless road tires on WTB tubeless rims, with a tube. Just pay attention when putting on or removing that the beads need to be in the center of the rim, not on the shelves.
Old 04-04-23, 04:00 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I run Conti non tubeless road tires on WTB tubeless rims, with a tube. Just pay attention when putting on or removing that the beads need to be in the center of the rim, not on the shelves.
This is more in relation to hookless rims which is a different concern from standard tubeless rims.
Old 04-04-23, 04:24 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This is more in relation to hookless rims which is a different concern from standard tubeless rims.

Yes, you stated hookless, but as I've no clue what a hookless rim is vs. a standard tubeless, I will admit I have no useful advice to give and will shut up now.