Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 06:23 AM
kritter2024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike needed

Hi, I am older and only 5' 6" . Looking to ride but not alot. What road bike would you guys suggest that isnt thousands of dollars.
Old 11-02-23, 06:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
There are "road bikes" and bikes to ride on the road. The "road bikes" generally have a more aggressive stance so you can go faster but if you are older you might consider a different design that uses straight bars, not drop bars. I owned a very fine lightweight road bike for years and found it less and less fun to ride because I was bent over riding it and it put too much pressure on my hands. I finally gave it away because it was taking up space and wasn't being used. Visit a bike shop and see what is available. If you know someone who is an avid cyclist, ask them for help in choosing a bike. If you don't want to spend a lot, a good quality used bike can stretch your budget to get a better bike. I'm a little shorter than you and fit perfectly on a 29" frame in an older bike. It's a lot harder to find small frame bikes though.
Old 11-02-23, 06:47 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
If you aren't an experienced cyclist, don't start with a narrow tire road bike. Go with a wider tire bike and possibly a step through frame. Take a look at a Trek FX or Verve. Doesn't have to be a Trek but I would suggest something similar.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 11-02-23, 06:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
This is a deep and murky pool into which we have leapt all too many times ... without learning.

First off ... decide on a budget. Then add ten percent ( ) Then also decide if you will need shoes, shorts or bibs, a couple jerseys, water bottles, bottle cages, lights, a seat bag, a mini-pump, mini-tool, whatever.

Also ... decide what you want to do with a bike. How far and how long might you want to ride? On roads, multi-use paths, trails, mountain bike paths ....

Go to a few big-brand web sites---- they are all similar, but I like Fuji, Giant ... a lot of people like Trek and Specialized and Cannondale.

See what is out there Learn a little about different levels of componentry, so you can tell what a salesperson or an online description is talking about ... that is all pretty simple and yo can ask about it here when you have specific questions.

Also, try going to local bike shops and test-riding bikes. Sit on some bikes, ride them around the parking lot, to at least see what the bikes you see online and see other people riding (or talking about here.)
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-23, 06:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Also ... all these people talk about "Don't ride road bikes" or "don't ride drop bars" .... bah. Try a bunch of things, and also, figure out what You want to do with a bike.

Flat bars and drop bars both work, and both can be very comfortable ... and one can set up a drop-bar bike with the flats at the same height as flat bars .... and wide or narrow tires, or a wide or narrow seat.... any combination can work. If you are planning to commute in an urban environment with lots of traffic, or ride a lot of challenging off-road trails, flat bars are probably more useful .... otherwise ... whatever.

One thing to consider: if you really want to ride rather gently, a traditional road bike might not be best ... and when you first climb on, it will feel weird because it demands using different muscles in different ways than you are used to ... but a lot of people start with sofa-seat balloon-tire comfort bikes---they feel immediately comfortable----, and after a few months want something different.

Also, what kind of gearing you might want depends a lot on terrain. if you live in a flat region, you can get away with a lot narrower range than if you live in hills or mountains.

Another strategy: Got o the nearest big-box store and buy a single-speed beach bike, a balloon-tire cruiser, and ride around where you would like to ride. See if you really like bicycling. The bike might set you back $100 or $150 at the very most, and if you want you can probably re-sell it for half that if you don't beat it up.

Hills will kill you if you live in a very hilly area, but these are the bikes almost all of us started riding, and we survived.

maybe you will find that a beach cruiser is all you really want or need ... or maybe you will want to buy a slightly more advance cruiser, with a little more gearing to help with hills and such, but still a comfort bike. Maybe you will find that you want something a little lighter and more flexible. Maybe you will decide to run errands, and get a rack---maybe you will decide to start bicycle touring on weekend trips. Who knows?

Thing is, if you buy the wrong bike, you are sort of stuck. if you buy a really cheap and simple bike, you can find out if you really like riding a bike at all, and how and how much, and decide how much more bike you might want or need.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-23, 07:28 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
With little info, this is all just guess work. At 5'6", likely a 51 or 52 cm size, depending on body dimensions. There are a lot of really good bikes available for under $1000. Maybe try a local bike shop that can give you some direction for the riding you do. Also, you can actually test ride a couple bikes. Bikesdirect.com has some really good options, but a bit experience and knowledge would be helpful if ordering from on online shop.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-02-23, 07:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
How do you envision the riding you will do with your bike? Are you just going on leisurely jaunts around the neighborhood for 30 minutes or less. Or will you be riding for 60 - 90 minutes or more at a fast pace that leaves you sweating?

If the former, then I'll recommend one of these bikes that has a very slack seat tube which will give you a very comfortable and leisurely ride. It's not a road bike. It's a cruiser.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...xoCYqsQAvD_BwE

Road bikes aren't the only bike made for the road. Road bikes in general are intended for longer distances and faster paces on the road. Cruisers are for slower paces and shorter time and distance.

If a road bike is what you want, then consider carefully what position you wish to ride in. Do you want to lean forward a little to leaning over a lot. And positions in between. Each model of road bike is made for a specific position. You do get a little bit of range you can move the bars up or down, but not much.

Welcome to BF!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-02-23, 07:41 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
too many unknowns here to give a reasonable answer. The advice to set a budget is sound.

I'd suggest 500 bucks. That will include new tires and a once-over by a reputable shop. Get a helmet at least. and a water bottle.

if you find a bike on CL, have a knowledgable friend accompany you to inspect the bike before purchase.

dojn't be afraid to bid low. If you don't have a friend, visit a shop or co-op. Tell them your budget and see what they say

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 11-02-23, 08:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
. I'm a little shorter than you and fit perfectly on a 29" frame in an older bike.
A 29" frame?
Likes For big john:
Old 11-02-23, 08:46 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A 29" frame?
A typo, 19" maybe? That's pretty small.
Old 11-02-23, 08:49 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
a used hybrid might be a good start. make sure it's your size.
Old 11-02-23, 08:55 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by kritter2024
Looking to ride but not alot.
That’s one of the variables that can really have a very broad definition in these forums. Do you mean 5-10 miles at a time, a few days per week around the neighborhood, maybe with the kids? Or, something more like 25+ miles at a time, several days per week? Maybe more? In these forums, one rider’s “not alot” can be another rider’s ‘weekend long ride.’ Which is OK. But, if you’re only going to be riding 5-10 miles every few days, you’re right in that you probably don’t need a bike that costs thousands of dollars. And you also should consider what you want out of riding, and which expense level is most suitable to your needs. Also…I didn’t notice that anyone above mentioned it…but you might want to consider shopping for a suitable used bike.

Dan
Old 11-02-23, 08:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
A typo, 19" maybe? That's pretty small.
Yeah, that makes sense. 19" would be 48cm. 29" is close to 73cm.
Old 11-02-23, 01:02 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Also…I didn’t notice that anyone above mentioned it…but you might want to consider shopping for a suitable used bike.

Dan
Originally Posted by mpetry912
if you find a bike on CL, have a knowledgable friend accompany you to inspect the bike before purchase.

/markp
That is why I do not counsel novices to buy used

It is a crap shoot whether they will get robbed, get lucky, or get a decent bike for an experienced mechanic which will be nothing but frustration for a novice. I figure a person who buys a bike for the first time, wants to Ride that bike and if it doesn't work the first few times, will park the bike and take up another pass time.

I am not sure I would trust anything off Craigslist or any local site to be ready to ride. Also, it is good to have some sort of a relationship with a shop---though that can be fostered by buying accessories, I suppose ... but even with a new bike, I recommend getting cables and spokes tightened after several rides.... and how many people who have never owned a bike are eager to do that? Some, for sure ... but I doubt most.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-02-23, 01:08 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A 29" frame?
OOPS! That should have been 21" frame for my old Motobecane Le Champion. My mountain bikes are 19" measured the same way from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube. Modern frames are often different from the diamond frame I am used to but yes you would have to be a giant to use a 29" frame.

I would never counsel a new rider to buy a POS from his local mass merchandiser. I was in Walmart a couple days ago at the customer service counter to arrange pickup of an item ordered online. While I was waiting to be served a mother and her child around 12 or so wheeled up his brand new bike that he bought just the previous day. It had several problems including one tire that went flat overnight. I suggested she instead consider a bike shop and get one that has a chance of being assembled correctly. If the OP does not know anything about bikes, contact the local bike club and ask if anyone is willing to help find a decent used bike.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 11-02-23 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added recent experience
Old 11-02-23, 02:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
First off ... decide on a budget. Then add ten percent ( )
OP said "isn't thousands of dollars", so $1,999 (which is just under thousands of dollars) divided by 110% = $1,817. For that, one can get a:

Cannondale Synapse AL 2 Bike | REI Co-op
Old 11-02-23, 02:41 PM
Maelochs

Almost any endurance-geometry Al frame/CF fork 11-speed ..... if he wants a standard road bike.
Old 11-02-23, 05:47 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 251 Posts
Hi, I am older and only 5' 6" . Looking to ride but not alot. What road bike would you guys suggest that isnt thousands of dollars.
At 51, many say I am older and others say I am younger. I'm 5'6" and purchased my first fitted bike right before COVID hit.

A cycling friend advised me to consider the following items when hunting for a bike:
  • know your inseam - take off shoes, stand against a wall, raise a book between your legs until it stops, marke the height on the wall, and measure up from the floor
  • try different bikes - you'll know when one works for you
  • know your budget

My inseam (as measured above) is 29.5" inches and I ride a small or medium depending on brands. (On many size chars I am in the overlap zone). If the bike has a measured size, a 51/52mm fits me well. I tried the Trek FX and Cannondale Quick families of bikes. I was planning on the FX 4 but stumbled into a beautiful Quick 1 from a friend.

If you are looking more upright, the Trek Verve would fit the bill. The Specialized Roll and Cannondale Treadwell are similar designs. My 5'2" wife rode the Verve and the Roll and picked the Verve. Of these three, I think the Verve is a solid choice plus it's a sharp looking bike.

Finally, I think a used bike represents excellent value... if you can find what you need and know what to look for.

Good luck and hit me up with the short guy questions!

Last edited by Trav1s; 11-02-23 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-02-23, 10:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Don't be afraid to spend money, the cheap bikes are expensive they just don't start expensive. Try a bunch of stuff out at your local shop or shops nobody really knows what you are looking for and what you are doing but when you go into the shop be open really really open and tell them everything they might need to know and don't say I am riding trails without explaining yourself because a trail could mean a paved path or an actual mountain bike trail or something completely different and not riding a lot could mean only doing 200 miles a week or only 20 miles there are so many factors in it but if you are open and answer their questions and ask some good ones of your own and test ride a bunch of bikes including bikes outside of your price range so you know what you aren't getting you will be better equipped to ask for help but more importantly find the right bike.

You don't have to be stuck with a Trek and I probably wouldn't unless that is all you can get. Trek is not a bad brand but you do certainly spend more for their branding and sometimes get less than a comparable bike just so it says Trek in big letters. While they are a fine brand and in the end you get a lifetime warranty on the frame they do rest a bit more on their laurels than needed and could up their game more but they really don't need to compete nor care to, if one of their stores (usually a bought out small trek dealer) fails they prop it up just to get the name out there.

Drop bars are great, flat bars are great, alt bars are greater (ATMO) if you find a great flat bar bike don't be afraid to try on some Velo Orange Crazy Bars or Surly Moloko or Koga Denham (if you can find them) or something different but also don't be afraid of drops they are also nice but my hands don't love the round bars I like the flatter top/aero bars (not too aero though). Also if you get a flat bar/Alt bar, get Ergon grips, your hands will thank you. Yes there are tons of other grips these days that look kinda similar but Ergon is the way. On my five flat/alt bar bikes five of them have Ergon grips and I will not accept anything else. I would rather pay full retail price for Ergons than go without. They are lock on so you can adjust them to your hand profile. My hands prefer the paddle relatively flat probably 86˚ from my measurement on the clamp (but not really sure it is an accurate measurement but I got the same on two bikes)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-03-23, 07:57 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Just go to local online classifieds and buy an old road bike, there will be dozens there for sale for next to nothing. You may have to put some new tires and brake pads on along with a squirt of oil on the chain, but you will be able to get a quality bike very cheaply. I was in a cycle shop a few days ago and they were selling new steel bicycles with straight-gauge frames for hundreds of dollars, even close to a thousand dollars for some models, but it is not hard to find an old Schwinn World Sport or other ten-speed bike for twenty to a hundred bucks on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.
Old 11-03-23, 03:24 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Lots of good advice here. What ever bike you get will also give you lots of good advice. After you have ridden for a while you will want something faster/slower/bigger/smaller/different color/etc. This is not a bad thing, it is inevitable since your abilities and preferences will change as you ride. You may notice that many people here have opened their homes to numerous bikes.
Old 11-03-23, 08:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
The red one.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-07-23, 10:11 AM
usmanali2020

Bikes: I have a bike of 70cc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should go with the option of electric bike because you have mentioned that you are old than may be paddling would disturb you. So, electric bike would help you to cover distance without applying massive amount of efforts.
Old 11-07-23, 08:34 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Suggest a local coop or charity a la "recycle a bike". Is there a nonprofit that takes donations and resells them to teach poor people how to fix their bikes and help get them going. Usually you get cheap bikes here for really cheap, lousy bikes for almost nothing, decent old beaters for almost nothing, and decent bikes for way less than what you'd pay brand new. They are in the business of fixing bikes so you would know you are getting something that is at least workable. Almost always the initial outlay is very low.

The one recommendation though is to stay away from something truly cheap. The old cheap bikes like 80's, 90's and before weren't that fun to pedal but reliable. The new super cheap Walmart bikes are just junk and don't last. You may experience mechanical problems early and often. Unfortunately there is a certain minimum quality and thus expense that you need to outlay for it not to be the bike's fault you don't like it. But a local coop may split the difference and get you on a mediocre to decent ride that will get you started and an abnormally low level of risk and cost. Then you could probably turn around and sell it for close to what you paid for it or donate it back and upgrade if you're feeling generous.

Me I got addicted to my Salsa Journeyman Claris flat bar back in 2018 for $700 including sales tax. I bought it at year end (like this time of year) November when business was slow and shop was trying to turn over previous years inventory as the outgoing bikes will lose value just sitting there. If you are going a bike shop route and getting something actually "nice" then now is the best time to get the good deals. That and the fact that there is a glut of bikes they need to get rid of that are just sitting there. But it doesn't sound like you're ready to justify spending that kind of money.... yet.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 11-08-23, 10:06 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I would search Craigslist and Facebook Market place, stay away from the Walmart brands and type of bikes, if you're not sure just google the make and model to see if it is a decent bike. I should be able to find a really nice bike for around $250, give or take $50. Make sure the bike will fit you before you buy it. It might need some work, so figure on $100 for repairs or just maintenance. If you're not sure if a bike you're looking at is any good just post it here and someone will chime in to help.

You might be wondering why not get a Walmart bike, that is a point, but Walmart type of bikes are only made to last about 1,000 miles, and most bike shops won't work on them when something goes bad, so if you take a liking to cycling getting a nice used bike means it will last a lot longer probably at least 50,000 miles, and then later if you decide you want a better bike then you'll know more about what you want in a bike.

You will need a helmet, but get one with a high head impact rating, the best one for the lowest cost is the Specialized Align II which is only $50 but it is out of production, Specialized.com doesn't have any left but if you live near a Specialized dealer they might still have one on sale for under $40. If you can't find that helmet look for the Giant Rev Comp MIPS at a Giant bike shop; or the Bontrager Solstice MIPS at a Trek store; or the OutdoorMaster Gem Recreational MIPS helmet found on Amazon; all the helmets mentioned should be found for under $60, they were 5 star rated by Virgina Tech Helmet test lab which is a much better and more trustworthy rating than CPSC or Snell. You can find the full list of helmets and how they faired at the Virgina Tech site.

You will need a bicycle pump to put air in the tires before you go riding each time, but if you stick to being within walking distance of home you may not need a mini pump to carry on your bike and a flat kit until you decide to venture further than what would be comfortable to walk home. I'm trying not to get you to buy too much stuff only to find out you don't like bicycling, or at least not interested in getting religious with it.

Really that is all you need, you don't need a water bottle cage and bottle until you're out riding for more than an hour at a time, you won't need tools if you have basic tools already at home those will get you by until you need more. Of course, YouTube university is there to help you fix anything on a bike, and most importantly, how to fix a flat, so once you start venturing further away from home you will need to know how to fix a flat, it really is not that complicated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.