Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How best to lift handlebars ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 01:00 AM
lanzarote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I'm getting back into riding bikes after a long time. I've found bikes that fit well except for the height of the handle bars. These are generally flat bar hybrids like the Alpenchallenge line by BMC where the stem is angled at 90-degrees causing the handlebars sit quite low relative to the saddle. I would need to get the handlebars vertically up by 2-3 inches while keeping the horizontal position of the handlebars about the same as it is currently.

Questions:

1) If we assume the spacers have been all utilized to the maximum, what's the best way to go about this?
2) I have been looking at some replacement bike stems as a possible solution but am unclear on which specs I need to look at to gauge compatibility with the bike. Could anyone clarify?

Thank you so much!
Old 12-27-23, 01:25 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Damn. That is extreme. Spacers? What spacers. Only thing for this is ... this and longer cables. Those brakes aren't hydraulic by any chance? Or a different bike. TL;DR: Different bike FTW.
Old 12-27-23, 02:35 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
You would need a monster stem to achieve 2-3 inches of height with the same reach. Quick modeling suggestions something like 130mm at 30 degrees, if the stock stem is 90mm at 0 (right angle to the steerer).

Maybe looking for a bike where your desired stack and bar heights are designed in is a better route.

Last edited by Frkl; 12-27-23 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-27-23, 06:13 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
An Alpenchallenge is as nice a hybrid as there is out there but not easily suited to raising the bars due to the way it is equipped. Consider something along the lines of a Cannondale Treadwell instead..

​​​​​…
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 12-27-23, 08:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I agree. Put in the time and effort to establish your preferred stack and reach, shop for a bike that fits. "Stem extenders" do exist but they are an unfortunate kludge, used when people have an inappropriate bike they are trying to make rideable. There is no need for this compromise when you are still shopping.
Old 12-27-23, 08:25 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I have used 2 remedies

But then I have a bike with proprietary handle bars (no stem) and went with this

Some esteemed members here will argue that being low in the front is better. Do what works for you
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-27-23, 08:33 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
If the bikes are flat bar wouldn't the easiest answer be a riser handlebar?
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 12-27-23, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
lanzarote - solutions have already been suggested, and they would work, but here is some more detail on what you asked, in the hopes that it creates clarity.
If you want your bars up 2 to 3 inches while keeping the bars the same distance from you as they are now, you will need to change a lot.
The stock stem on this bike is set at -7 degrees and is 90 or 100mm depending on frame size.

So assuming your bike size comes with a stock 90mm stem, you would need to swap the stock stem out for a 35 degree stem that is 140mm long, and remove 20mm of spacers. I havent seen a 35deg stem that long, but maybe it exists. This is what is required to get your bars up 3 inches and also have the handlebars set at the exact same position forward(reach) as they are now.

A more realistic option- cheaper, likely more readily available, and also likely more what you need if you need the bars to be as high as you say- just get a 110mm long 35deg stem and install it.
Your bars will be 2.8" higher than they are now and also .8" closer to you. So the bars will be higher up but also closer. That is typically what someone wants when a current setup has them too stretched out. Bring the bars not only up, but also back closer to the rider.

Some context for those here, like me, who dont just automatically know what an 'Alpenchallenge' looks like.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-27-23, 08:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
The fit of that bike is unique, for sure. Wonder if they sell many.
Old 12-27-23, 08:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I wouldn't call that a hybrid, I'd call it a flat bar road bike.

I had a K2 mtb with a 45 degree stem.

Last edited by big john; 12-27-23 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 12-27-23, 09:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
If the bikes are flat bar wouldn't the easiest answer be a riser handlebar?
Agreed. Although the OP should be aware that new brake and gear wires and housings, and readjustment of the brakes and gears after installing them, would be necessary---but that would be true for installing a significantly taller stem, too, of course.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-27-23, 09:17 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They also have a booming aftermarket riser stem/bar business.
Old 12-27-23, 09:31 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
I thought this was an interesting bar/ stem setup. I might pick it up if I'm in the area.
Old 12-27-23, 09:40 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
stem raiser

Look up the "Delta Stem Raiser" as a possible solution. There are several versions priced around $35 from bike shops. Since it is sold by Universal Cycles it is available at any LBS that orders from them. Personally I would look on eBay where all of the versions are available and the price is much lower than $35 for most types. I have one on a vintage Balance AL450 mountain bike with straight bars and have used it for many years. It used to cost ~$20 back then. There are lots of similar knock offs for sale like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/335182729121. I did not have to do anything to the cables when installing mine.
Old 12-27-23, 09:56 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

In all seriousness, and even with all the technical workarounds, handlebar height is such an important aspect of fit, that I am having difficulty with the idea that the bike can fit well "except for the height of the handle bars" as you wrote.

It's sort of like buying shoes that are a little too short or too narrow because they look sleek and are (perhaps a factor here too) on sale. If it were a used/rare bike, I could understand, but there are so many new bikes out there to choose from, why not choose exactly the right one?

Plus, it's not a good start with a new bike to be purchased with the intent of having to make significant changes to it. Maybe you like the handling of the Alpenchallenge you have test ridden, but the handling will change with whatever solution you try here. Perhaps you like the sleek look, but that will certainly be gone with a steering tube extender or adjustable stem.

There are companies that build bikes that might better suit you. I don't think Marin has been mentioned, but in addition to their hybrids and fitness bikes, they have "flat bar gravel bikes" (ugh, don't let's start on that market category . . . this is just an example, not an endorsement) that have at least level handlebar-saddle relationships. And are price competitive with the Alpenchallenge:

Old 12-27-23, 10:10 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
That looks to me like an ordinary threadless stem. If so, an easy fix to get exactly what you want is to have a frame builder make you one of the dimensions you need. (Easy. Not cheap and not fast. You will have to rethink cable/hoses and probably a few other things.)

A framebuilder that could build you exactly the stem (and bars if wanted) you want/need would be Dave Levy at Ti Cycles. I'm guessing it would be several hundred dollars but it would be exactly what you want, look right and be keeper quality. He would do it in steel or titanium. The steel ones get (usually) very high quality black paint. I took a quick look at the Alpenchallenge at Mike's Bikes and it looks to me like that bike is easily a nice enough bike to justify a sweet fix to keep it "yours". Dave has done a bunch of belt bikes and loves challenges like the cleanest way to run stuff like hoses.

And for me, replacing a sweet bike for the want of the right stem? Huh? Says a guy who has had quill stems of 155, 175 and 180mm (and a ti threadless at 120mm just because) built by Ti Cycles and another 180 built for me years ago in Seattle. (If I am wrong about yourt stem being "ordinary; ie a usual threadless standard, well, Dave Levy is exactly who you want to do an unusual project. He thrives on that stuff. Machinist, engineer. And he'd be proud to put something that belongs on a bike as nice as yours.

Now, if you have a local framebuilder, that's worth a lot if this is something he's interested in.
Old 12-27-23, 10:21 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Are you just looking at bicycle manufacturers' websites or do you have the BMC bicycle right now? if you haven't purchased one then go into a dealer and see if they have any still boxed and if one of those can be adjusted to fit you. Lots of times the stem isn't cut to fit until in the bike shop so they can adjust the handlebars higher or lower for a customer. They might also NOT cut it at first, but put it at an intermediate height and leave some stem above the bars, then adjust it up/down after you've had time to ride it a week (or two) to see what you like.
Old 12-27-23, 10:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You are looking at bike with too low of a frame stack for what you are wanting. Probably because you are looking at what looks aesthetically pleasing to you and not what meets your wants for position. Don't buy a bike that doesn't get your hands up at the height you wish. There are plenty made that have them higher. You might even look at a road bike or gravel bike in the certain models that have a high stack height.

The BMC Alpenchallenge has a stack height that is going to put your hands in the same place that the average road bike does, which apparently is lower than you wish. A Specialized Roubaix which is a road bike will put your bars and hands quite a bit higher than what the BMC will. There are some gravel bikes that have a higher stack still.

Some brands of bicycle don't make bikes for a very relaxed fit that you desire. So you might need to look at more brands than just BMC.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-27-23, 11:31 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
We sell a decent number, they are really nice bikes.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-27-23, 12:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Despite the potential kludge look, a stem riser/extender is the cheapest way to go. I would imagine you need to make sure the bike has at least an aluminum steerer and not carbon fiber.

If that is not acceptable, I would get a hold of BMC, or a store rep, and get the fork specs and get a fork made (or already offered) with a taller/longer steerer and use a stem with some angled rise to it. It you set it up correctly it won’t look like some frankenbike.

If you rode that bike before, there is a chance in the future you can get back into enough condition to ride it again, or at least use the original fork with a 15*/20* rise and gain an inch or so.

John
Old 12-27-23, 02:08 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Sorry if I missed this in a prior post, but just flipping the stem on this bike would bring the bars up and back a significant amount.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-27-23, 02:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzarote

Question:

1) If we assume the spacers have been all utilized to the maximum, what's the best way to go about this?
The easiest way to get your handlebars higher is to purchase a 25 degree or even a 35 degree stem and MTB style riser bars. Riser bars come in different heights, it can be 20mm raise, 30mm raise, 40mm raise etc. You have lots of options to choose from...The other option is to purchase a new fork and leave the steerer tube uncut and just pile on spacers.
Old 12-27-23, 02:43 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'm certainly not as conversant with the techniques and consequences of changing a bike's bar height as the above contributors, but if I were in your situation, I would be tempted to wait a bit on changes. You say you are getting back into riding after a longish layoff, perhaps as you start riding more, you will become more flexible.
Old 12-27-23, 03:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Bend the knees, arch the back. Lift with care. After a certain age, anything below table-top level becomes a serious lift, as in, I could seriously tweak my back or some odd muscle picking that up off the floor.
Old 12-27-23, 05:10 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
lanzarote

if you are looking at flat bar hybrids / road bikes - in addition to the BMC consider additional similar bikes including Trek FX, Specialized Cirrus, Cannondale Quick

many (if not most ?) will have a higher stack height and / or longer steerer with spacers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.