Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Rack Mount/Light

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Rack Mount/Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 02:46 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bike Rack Mount/Light

Hey Everyone!
So I have this rack, https://www.amazon.com/Dreamoon-Adju...1zcF9tdGY&th=1 I'm having a really hard time finding a mount and/or Light for the back of the rack. It has one hole on the underside of the end of the rack to maybe screw in some sort of mount. I see lots of really cool lights with blinkers and breaks that I would love to add but none of the mounts will work. I do have a light under my seat but my panniere kind of hides it. Any ideas? Thank you!
Old 01-28-24, 03:08 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
that rack doesn't have the standard mounting plate for a permanent rear light. You could use something like these to make a mounting point. the first one replaces the nutted end of the quick release, or you can bolt it to something. I use this one on several bikes.

https://a.co/d/5cdVFOl

I haven't used this one, but have seen it. you can bolt it on

https://a.co/d/aI8VXLl

your rear light might not be in the right orientation anymore (most removable brackets rear lights assume a vertical, not horizontal mounting position) which usually wouldn't matter. but if you want one with an accelerometer that gets brighter when you stop, it might.

but quite honestly, if you paid nearly 40 for the rack then another 15 or so for this, I would return the rack and buy one with standard mounting points. the rack does not look especially high quality.
Likes For Frkl:
Old 01-28-24, 05:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Assuming it does have a hole, the Grateful Red comes with a mounting bracket. It’s what I use with my Nitto rack. They make a USB version as well.

https://www.planetbike.com/grateful-...RoCYI0QAvD_BwE
Old 01-28-24, 06:47 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Assuming it does have a hole, the Grateful Red comes with a mounting bracket. It’s what I use with my Nitto rack. They make a USB version as well.

https://www.planetbike.com/grateful-...RoCYI0QAvD_BwE
I'll give this one a shot. I may have to drill a couple holes in the very back of the rack as the hole's on the bottom or underside of the rack. But I'll let you know. Thank you!
Old 01-28-24, 09:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
All it takes is a single "L" shaped corner bracket and some small bolts and washers to adapt a standard bike rack to accept many of the rear lights. I'll send you a private message later today with links to pictures I provided to someone else who asked this question. I can find the brackets at my local dollar store or at any of the home centers like Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware. It points the light directly back and does not sag the way attaching them to a rack bag does.
Old 01-28-24, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I probably wouldn't trust that rack to hold much of anything. There are good racks out there from real companies that you can get from your local shop that won't be much more than that thing (or maybe even the same price) but will be a solid well made rack with proper mounting points and will likely weigh less. Topeak, Axiom, Delta, Planet Bike...all make fine racks that aren't as complicated and cheaply made. Plus if something does happen they will support you more than some fake Amazon/Alibaba and his 40 thieves brand is going to do. There are even other no-name racks from the Billionaire Bezos that look better than that one at basically the same price, I am not recommending any of them just noting that some look better. However there are also a lot that claim ridiculous carrying capacities which would beyond overload those racks and are more weight than I would carry on my Tubus rack which I would actually trust to be able to carry those weights once some of which are double the capacity and look flimsier than a sheet of loose leaf paper in the wind.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-28-24, 07:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Whatever you do, I would urge that you use locktite on all your fasteners. One missing bolt can ruin your entire ride.

Old 01-29-24, 06:23 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I probably wouldn't trust that rack to hold much of anything. There are good racks out there from real companies that you can get from your local shop that won't be much more than that thing (or maybe even the same price) but will be a solid well made rack with proper mounting points and will likely weigh less. Topeak, Axiom, Delta, Planet Bike...all make fine racks that aren't as complicated and cheaply made. Plus if something does happen they will support you more than some fake Amazon/Alibaba and his 40 thieves brand is going to do. There are even other no-name racks from the Billionaire Bezos that look better than that one at basically the same price, I am not recommending any of them just noting that some look better. However there are also a lot that claim ridiculous carrying capacities which would beyond overload those racks and are more weight than I would carry on my Tubus rack which I would actually trust to be able to carry those weights once some of which are double the capacity and look flimsier than a sheet of loose leaf paper in the wind.
Sheesh. I didn’t look at the description before my earlier post,

I would not put 55 lbs. on that thing, if I would put anything on that thing.

Also notice that one part of the description reads “rear seat mount”, but another part reads that you need mounting holes. I don’t trust any seller that can get things straight. And look at all those nuts a bolts to come loose. My Nitto rack attaches with 4 bolts. All other joints are welded.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-01-24, 01:57 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went ahead and used the GRATEFUL RED BIKE TAIL LIGHT Recommended by Indyfabz. I had to drill a couple holes in the back of the rack. But it works beautifully! Thank you Everyone! You guys rock!
Old 02-01-24, 02:04 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sheesh. I didn’t look at the description before my earlier post,

I would not put 55 lbs. on that thing, if I would put anything on that thing.

Also notice that one part of the description reads “rear seat mount”, but another part reads that you need mounting holes. I don’t trust any seller that can get things straight. And look at all those nuts a bolts to come loose. My Nitto rack attaches with 4 bolts. All other joints are welded.
You're probably right about the rack. But I already have it on and it seems to work just fine, I also add this Pannier https://www.amazon.com/Sportneer-Bik...%2C102&sr=8-45 They seem to do the trick just fine. I'm sure things will change or upgrade later but so far so good. Live and learn! Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-01-24, 02:30 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
At least it looks pretty cool if nothing else! lol
Likes For beauknowsdiddly:
Old 02-01-24, 04:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by beauknowsdiddly
You're probably right about the rack. But I already have it on and it seems to work just fine, I also add this Pannier https://www.amazon.com/Sportneer-Bik...%2C102&sr=8-45 They seem to do the trick just fine. I'm sure things will change or upgrade later but so far so good. Live and learn! Thanks again everyone!
You should put the weight a little higher to improve handling even more.

I would definitely carry tools to tighten all those bolts mid-ride.

Oh. A waterproof bag doesn’t need a rain cover.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-01-24 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-01-24, 04:47 PM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You should put the weight a little higher to improve handling even more.
How would I do that?
Old 02-01-24, 05:19 PM
indyfabz

How would I do that?
You shouldn’t, so I am not going to tell you.
Old 02-02-24, 08:07 PM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You shouldn’t, so I am not going to tell you.
LOL well that's just wrong, what changed your mind? funny.
But I definitely agree that I shouldn't! And thank you
Old 02-02-24, 09:03 PM
indyfabz

LOL well that's just wrong, what changed your mind? funny.
But I definitely agree that I shouldn't! And thank you
I didn’t change my mind. That load is already too high up for my liking, especially with all those bolts. And I know a thing or five about carrying loads.

Old 02-03-24, 04:20 AM
beauknowsdiddly

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Haha That's awesome! Yes you do! Now THAT looks like a road trip!
Do you have a tent in there somewhere?
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by beauknowsdiddly; 02-03-24 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-03-24, 05:04 AM
indyfabz

Haha That's awesome! Yes you do! Now THAT looks like a road trip!
Do you have a tent in there somewhere?
Thanks for sharing.
It’s on the rear rack, on top of the tarp between the panniers.

The goal is to get the weight as low and as narrow as possible. During that part of the trip I was in a more remote area, so I had extra food supplies. Those rear bags could have held a lot more. (Just look at how loose those lid straps are.) But I’m not one of those people who feels the need to fill every cubic inch just because the capacity exists. It’s called packing discipline. Take what you might need, not all that you can carry.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-03-24, 10:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
It’s on the rear rack, on top of the tarp between the panniers.

The goal is to get the weight as low and as narrow as possible. During that part of the trip I was in a more remote area, so I had extra food supplies. Those rear bags could have held a lot more. (Just look at how loose those lid straps are.) But I’m not one of those people who feels the need to fill every cubic inch just because the capacity exists. It’s called packing discipline. Take what you might need, not all that you can carry.
What is this packing discipline you speak of? I have never heard of it.,,,
I wish I had that discipline but I am always a chronic overpacker. Next time I pack I just need you with a straight edge smacking my hands if I try to put something in I don't really need.
Old 02-03-24, 11:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What is this packing discipline you speak of? I have never heard of it.,,,
I wish I had that discipline but I am always a chronic overpacker. Next time I pack I just need you with a straight edge smacking my hands if I try to put something in I don't really need.
That particular tour required packing for a range of potential weather conditions, including snow/sleet. For local trips in the summer, by bags are almost embarrassingly empty.
Likes For indyfabz: