Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Banff/Jasper and back

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Banff/Jasper and back

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 05:45 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Banff/Jasper and back

We would like to tour/camp the icefields parkway some time in July, banff/jasper and back. Seems like campgrounds are often full. Do we need to book campgrounds more a month ahead of time?
Old 03-14-24, 08:54 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Do you have any fixed dates, e.g. either arrival or departure days - or is your arrival/departure variable and you might have some late flexibility on when you arrive/depart?

I don't know the current situation but it was also quite busy when I cycled through in mid-August 2016 and may have gotten worse. I was coming from down the Cassier/Yellowhead highways and didn't know until shortly before exactly when I might arrive but I did have some flexibility to shift a day or two depending on what was available. In my case, I ended with a mixture of campground and hostels. I made my reservations a few days before entering the parks and did have to slide by a day from what I otherwise would have done. So I didn't have flexibility to change from day-to-day but did make my reservations a week before cycling through.

Again, I don't know how much of a zoo it will be this summer - but depending on the first question above, I would at least:
= If my arrival date is fixed, I would go ahead and make reservations pretty far in advance and be slightly conservative so I could still react to a day of inclement weather, etc.
= If my arrival date is unknown, I would at least anticipate waiting until the arrival date was more certain and also expect I might have to adjust my timing depending on campground availability and/or look at hostels as well as campgrounds.

What I wouldn't do is expect to wild camp in the park - both not allowed and also unwise.

Also not July but that first Canada Day weekend (June 29/30) and the Civic Holiday (August 3/4) I would anticipate even busier than an already busy July - https://www.canpay.com/payroll-infor...-holidays.html

Last edited by mev; 03-14-24 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-14-24, 10:28 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I was in Jasper a 3 years ago. Couldn't book in advance because not clear I would be on schedule. Campgrounds were full, overflows as well, there are no provisions for hike&bike and the overflow looked like a refugee camp. I ended up setting my tent in the bushes, in a corner of the overflow, and was very lucky to be able to secure a room at the Youth Hostel for the following night

So, not obvious what's the best course of action other than booking far in advance.

Kananaskis (south of Banff) is much quieter. Perhaps plan something other than the overwhelmingly popular Jasper Banff stretch -- rent a car for a day to see what's left of the glaciers, assuming that there are no major forest fires at that time...

Last edited by gauvins; 03-14-24 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-14-24, 04:31 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Thank you for the information/feedback. We have backpacked the parks for weeks when younger, but our (now) older knees have a tough time with the weight. So hoping to bike tour/camp. Such a beautiful area to be in, but the campground hassle puts us off. 'Tis ok, many other beautiful areas to tour where we can camp without a firm schedule.
Old 03-17-24, 12:03 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
We arrived in Jasper last year on Canada Day, camped two nights, then biked down to Banff. Every campground we showed up at had hiker/biker sites available. We never reserved ahead, just showed up each evening.
Old 03-17-24, 04:03 PM
Norts

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I contacted Parks Canada in January this year as I will be riding the Parkway in June,this was part of their reply
"Whistler’s campground does have a loop of sites that are specifically for visitors who are in the park with no vehicle. These sites are only available on a first-come first-serve basis, no reservations would be available."
"Additionally, Jasper National Park has several self-registration, first come first served campsites along the Icefields Parkway and one on Highway 16. These campgrounds can only be reserved on arrival, in-person, at their self-registration kiosk. Checkout time for guests leaving the campgrounds and earliest arrival is 11am."

Roger
Old 04-02-24, 04:57 PM
northerntier

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
We would like to tour/camp the icefields parkway some time in July, banff/jasper and back. Seems like campgrounds are often full. Do we need to book campgrounds more a month ahead of time?
We were told by park rangers (2017) that they would never turn away touring cyclists, and that was our experience.