Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 11:23 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
The OP is a complete numpty . Why replying to them.
Likes For Artmo:
Old 11-01-21, 11:28 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk
Old 11-01-21, 11:29 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I've been told i need to ride on sidewalk no the road
Old 11-01-21, 11:31 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Get a review helmet mirror and watch traffic coming from behind. I have had more trouble with oncoming traffic crossing in front of me than trailing traffic forcing me to the right. (or left if you ride in the UK)
Old 11-01-21, 11:33 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I tell this folks that even they should be smart enough to figure out why a side walk is called a SIDE WALK.
Old 11-01-21, 11:36 AM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by psystemupdate
ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
I remember when I was young, I was told to ride against the traffic so the drivers can see me better. I always drove against traffic with no complaints. Now I'm back to riding bike, I noticed everybody is riding with the traffic. When did all this changed? Or is this depends on what city, or state?
Old 11-01-21, 11:47 AM
fuji105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just because its law don't mean it isn't stupid...do you really want to put full control of your life at the hands of strangers, especially with todays statistics about drivers distracted by phones? safety is shared when you can see them and they can see you.
Try it in your car, and you might get a glimmer of insight as to why following the rules of the road is a successful strategy in life.
Old 11-01-21, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dvdvija
I remember when I was young, I was told to ride against the traffic so the drivers can see me better. I always drove against traffic with no complaints. Now I'm back to riding bike, I noticed everybody is riding with the traffic. When did all this changed? Or is this depends on what city, or state?

I think there was a period decades back where the "ride against" was a bit of "folk wisdom" that a lot of people had. When people actually started collecting data on it, it was so obviously wayyyy more dangerous that people and states have been adamant about telling people not to do it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-21, 12:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
I remember being told to WALK against traffic, but from the moment I got a bike - and that was 57 years ago - I was told to ride WITH traffic, never against.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-01-21, 12:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think there was a period decades back where the "ride against" was a bit of "folk wisdom" that a lot of people had.
Like putting butter on a burn.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-01-21, 12:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Why is it always a steak on a black eye in the old movies?
Old 11-01-21, 12:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What about butter on a burned steak?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-01-21, 12:35 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts

Ice was too expensive back then.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-01-21, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Because they didn't have frozen peas in a bag?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-01-21, 12:39 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
No, I always ride on the correct side. Riding where nobody expects you could end in death.
Old 11-01-21, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Ice was too expensive back then.

Well, if you were in one of these movies, you probably had a big block of ice sitting on top of your ice box to keep the food cold, but you couldn't use the ice pick to chop off a piece of it for your eye because you were too busy using the pick as a murder weapon.

I blame Westinghouse for eliminating ice pick murders. Not a lot of those lying around when everybody has a refrigerator.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-21, 02:09 PM
robertAltman

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ride with traffic

What happens when you pass cyclists going with traffic? Now you have an extraordinarily dangerous situation with bikes going on two directions in the same “lane” AND cars potentially passing at the same time.

The OP might think this he is being smart, but he is just shifting the dangers into others.

I do like knowing where traffic is; I ride with a Garmin Varia radar. Many people use a bike-mounted or helmet mirror.

I’m not going to argue or be rude. It is unsafe and anti-social to ride against traffic. Do some reading at bicycle advocacy groups like bikemn.org.

Lastly, people aren’t correcting OP to be jerks; they are trying to keep the roads, riders, and OP safer.
Likes For robertAltman:
Old 11-01-21, 02:13 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic? There's countless reasons for the more experienced riders to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side of the road.
Well, it's use and now. There are some places where I ride in bike lanes on various roads, and jerks on bikes who are in them going the wrong direction when there is no apparent reason I have ZERO patience for.
ON the other hand, there's a road I commute on where there is a bike lane. Busy automoative traffic. I come to a place where I need to turn left, and when I'm heading there, and the traffic has let up, I will cross the road (this could be how much of a distance I'm not sure...hundreds of years?) and go in the wrong direction in the bike lane over there (where there are hardly ever any cyclists)...If there is another person on the bike, I will get the hell out of their way.
A related thing that annoys me is: I'm riding on a busy road (without a bike lane). There is a pedestrian or jogger coming at me. They ARE supposed to be going against traffic, it's true. However: they never seem to move to let me by (yesterday I was riding on a busy road where a pedestrian COULD have stepped up over the curb.
THEY can see what's coming. Instead, I move out into traffic to get around them. I of course, can only see behind myself so well. Seems to me those jerks should accomodate me.
Old 11-01-21, 02:20 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Never get yelled at to get on any side of the road, since I always ride on the right (U.S). So no love is lost or wasted.

The OP apparently doesn’t realize that the yellers believe that, based on your choice of sides, that you most likely ALWAYS ride incorrectly and are trying to keep you from being killed. They are being caring, not jerks.

Since the OP believes he knows better than the people trying to help him, I will wait for his inevitable pushback. (When walking my dog on a curvy street with bad sight lines, I do go from one side of the street to the other to maximize the visibility of drivers to our presence. - so I do understand what you are doing, but don’t understand your attitude towards others.)
I don't think most people like that are caring. they're jerks.
The time I came closest to getting doored by a thoughtless jerk, they yelled at me to "ride on the sidewalk". It wasn't because they cared about my well-being.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 11-01-21, 02:27 PM
A Wanderer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OP, please be careful not to damage too many organs on the way out. There may just be a use for you, yet.
Likes For A Wanderer:
Old 11-01-21, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by dkatz1
I don't think most people like that are caring. they're jerks.
The time I came closest to getting doored by a thoughtless jerk, they yelled at me to "ride on the sidewalk". It wasn't because they cared about my well-being.
Where their passenger could have doored you?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-01-21, 03:50 PM
SDkid605

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Myself, I ride on the opposite side;
If a car is going to hit me, I'd like the option to ditch and avoid a crash; I can see them;
As opposed to someone blindly hitting me from behind.

Have had some freaks swerve at me.
But at least I saw them coming at me. Gave me the chance to bail out; wouldn't get that chance from behind.

Mostly I just ride sidewalks, even though it's "Illegal" here to do for those over 12 years old;
I ride by my local Police station regularly on the sidewalk;
No one but old freaks looking to cause trouble says a thing about it.
Cyclists around here with half a brain know when it is time to walk your bike, or at least put a leg down and scoot yourself along safely.
Old 11-01-21, 03:56 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Wrong side riders

I was a volunteer for a local Bicycle Federation for a few years and attended some farmer's markets and other events to get the word out. Every event we attended we had people who were advanced in age come up to us and say we should educate riders to have them ride against traffic. They always said that they were taught to ride that way. I think they were confusing walking/running and cycling. I don't remember being told to ride against traffic. I do remember being told to walk/run against traffic.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Straight Dope but and article devoted to this was published some time ago.

https://www.straightdope.com/2134434...gainst-traffic

I was a Bike Officer for 9 years in a downtown
setting and saw some pretty crazy things but the one that stands out is a guy who rode his bike backwards because he said he felt safer. He rode on the handlebars facing backwards. He rode like this he said because he had been hit a couple of times by cars and said he could see them better riding backwards. He approached me a couple of times to brag about riding that way. I'm not sure what happened to him. I haven't seen him for a couple of years.
Old 11-01-21, 04:19 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 253 Posts
I did yell at an idiot recently, who decided to check his mobile (I'm guessing for navigation / address as he was a delivery guy) and was going not so much against the traffic, as across the road. Suddenly.
If it was a rainy day, I wouldn't have a chance of breaking in time. If someone was in my position in a car and only slightly distracted, the delivery guy would be a wet bloody spot on the road. Just don't. Don't ride on the wrong side of the road, no matter what country you're in and whatever imaginary reason you might have. Other road users might and should be paying attention to what's going on around them, but they will also assume you are following at least the basics of the highway code. By all means, get yourself killed if you wish, I don't really care, but if you do, at least do it in a way that doesn't ruin someone else's day.
Old 11-01-21, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
ever encountered people who yell at you to get on the correct side of the road when you choose to ride against traffic?.
You should listen to all those people who tell you to ride on the correct side of the road because they are right and you are the one who is doing it wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.