Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding in rain and keeping feet dry

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 01:31 PM
jdotconnor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a relatively new rider (500 miles since end of July bike purchase) I rode in the rain for the first time on Saturday as Charlotte has been getting a lot of rain. I was fine with it. Used a lightweight convertible jacket/vest that kept me plenty warm in mid 60s drizzle although not dry at the end, not drenched. I wore a cycling cap under my helmet and used light colored sunglasses I use for cycling and golfing. At times I was a little warm but didn't want to risk getting cold on my 25+ mile route. At the very end my feet were so soaked they started to get cool. My shoes and socks were easily twice their weight.

Are there any very lightweight overshoes that are near waterproof? Seems most water resistant are heavier, most lightweight are focused purely on aero.

If I get another set of lenses for my Oakley flak jackets for darker days should I go clear or yellowish? I don't feel comfortable without them.
Old 09-29-15, 02:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've been using Sugoi Resistor booties for many years and like them. They are waterproof and light. However if you're really going out for a long rain ride, water will still run down your legs and get your feet wet anyway. Putting a pair of dry suit leg seals over the tops of the booties prevents that.

I like to have both clear and yellow. I use yellow for low light days, and clear for riding at night.
Old 09-29-15, 02:08 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velotoze, aero and waterproof.
Old 09-29-15, 02:19 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
no joke, saran wrap your foot before putting on booties
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-29-15, 02:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Get fenders. Will make riding in the wet a ton more fun.
Old 09-29-15, 02:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been using Sugoi Resistor booties for many years and like them. They are waterproof and light.
+1. Got a pair at The Bike Gallery in Portland before the '12 edition of Cycle Oregon and really like them.
Old 09-29-15, 02:58 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Get fenders. Will make riding in the wet a ton more fun.
Or not. I literally just got home from work. It rained on me for the whole time--one hour. Even with fenders my feet were still wet. Yeah, my back is not, but doesn't protect your feet.

OP, I've worn overshoes in the rain too. The water still seeps down my leg, into the socks and then into the shoes. Get a second pair of shoes so you can ride the next day.
Old 09-29-15, 03:00 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Wrap some Walmart bags around them.
Old 09-29-15, 03:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Velotoze.
Old 09-29-15, 03:06 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Toe covers and thin socks that don't hold a pound of water. I don't want my feet totally waterproof unless it's winter weather.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-29-15, 04:45 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are some neoprene or similar material waterproof socks out there. Personally, I prefer to just use wool socks and if it's cold also use shoe covers.
Old 09-29-15, 06:25 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
I think there are some neoprene or similar material waterproof socks out there. Personally, I prefer to just use wool socks and if it's cold also use shoe covers.
This^^^, Both wool and or neoprene in thickness determined by temp are best at maintaining warmth.
Old 10-01-15, 10:57 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Velotoze.
What do you think of them? Do they work well? I've been looking for water proof shoe covers for a while now and they vary wildly in price. This brand seems pretty inexpensive compared to many others. Specifically I'm wondering if they tear easily? And how many seasons you are able to get out of them.
Thanks!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-01-15, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Wool socks. You'll thank me later.
Old 10-01-15, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
What do you think of them? Do they work well? I've been looking for water proof shoe covers for a while now and they vary wildly in price. This brand seems pretty inexpensive compared to many others. Specifically I'm wondering if they tear easily? And how many seasons you are able to get out of them.
Thanks!
They are inexpensive and they can tear if you are not careful. So far I'd say I've gotten an infinite number of seasons out of them, but that's because it's been so dry the last two years. Also keep in mind that because they are absolutely water proof, they do not breathe at all and if it's merely cool rather than cold, my feet sweat a fair amount. That can be a deal breaker for some folks.
Old 10-01-15, 12:55 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Or not. I literally just got home from work. It rained on me for the whole time--one hour. Even with fenders my feet were still wet. Yeah, my back is not, but doesn't protect your feet.

OP, I've worn overshoes in the rain too. The water still seeps down my leg, into the socks and then into the shoes. Get a second pair of shoes so you can ride the next day.
How dry your feet stay is related to how much coverage your front fender has over the circumference of the wheel. The closer to the ground your front fender&mudflap is, the drier your feet will remain for longer.

Sounds like you have been in driving rain, which you'll get soaked through and through no matter what...in which case bring a spare pair of socks in your go bag and set a fan up to blow dry air into your shoes at work.
Old 10-01-15, 01:16 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
They are inexpensive and they can tear if you are not careful. So far I'd say I've gotten an infinite number of seasons out of them, but that's because it's been so dry the last two years. Also keep in mind that because they are absolutely water proof, they do not breathe at all and if it's merely cool rather than cold, my feet sweat a fair amount. That can be a deal breaker for some folks.
Heck, for the price you can't go wrong. I have a ~20 year old pair of PI shoe covers that are pretty beaten up. Looks like I found my replacements.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 10-02-15, 07:36 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I believe that you are not joking but holy cow--saran wrap? Don't your feet get extremely hot in that? Personally, I do not ride enough in the rain to care. I just wear my normal outfit and if it rains, it rains. I live in Florida so I don't stay wet for long as it tends to dry. Either way, I try not to ride in the rain. Running in the rain is a different story. I love running in the rain, but only during the summer. During the winter, it is miserable.
Old 10-02-15, 07:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by jdotconnor
As a relatively new rider (500 miles since end of July bike purchase) I rode in the rain for the first time on Saturday as Charlotte has been getting a lot of rain. I was fine with it. Used a lightweight convertible jacket/vest that kept me plenty warm in mid 60s drizzle although not dry at the end, not drenched. I wore a cycling cap under my helmet and used light colored sunglasses I use for cycling and golfing. At times I was a little warm but didn't want to risk getting cold on my 25+ mile route. At the very end my feet were so soaked they started to get cool. My shoes and socks were easily twice their weight.

Are there any very lightweight overshoes that are near waterproof? Seems most water resistant are heavier, most lightweight are focused purely on aero.

If I get another set of lenses for my Oakley flak jackets for darker days should I go clear or yellowish? I don't feel comfortable without them.
I ride in all conditions, including century rides in pouring rain. For rain in mid-60s, I just get wet feet. If I know I'm riding in the rain, I wear Merino wool socks. These are great at keeping your feet comfortable in wet conditions. I have wool in variety for weights for mild days to sub-zero days.

Pouring rain on my Pugsley, feet are wet but fine in wool socks:

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-02-15, 08:11 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Heck, for the price you can't go wrong. I have a ~20 year old pair of PI shoe covers that are pretty beaten up. Looks like I found my replacements.
Yeah, as caloso said, just be careful. They are easy to tear if you are walking around in them. You can make them last a long time if you get directly on and off the bike and watch where you put your feet when you're not on it.
Old 10-02-15, 09:05 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
I believe that you are not joking but holy cow--saran wrap? Don't your feet get extremely hot in that? Personally, I do not ride enough in the rain to care. I just wear my normal outfit and if it rains, it rains. I live in Florida so I don't stay wet for long as it tends to dry. Either way, I try not to ride in the rain. Running in the rain is a different story. I love running in the rain, but only during the summer. During the winter, it is miserable.
Usually rain means 40-50 degree temps here in the PNW, so heat is not an issue. Booties get way more hot in the same conditions
Old 10-02-15, 09:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
This^^^, Both wool and or neoprene in thickness determined by temp are best at maintaining warmth.
+1
Old 10-02-15, 10:15 AM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Wool socks. You'll thank me later.
This^ if its raining and your out for any length of time your feet will get wet. Wool keeps you warm. I like to cover for wind and insulate for warmth.
Old 10-02-15, 11:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
this works.. or just use one of those thin plastic grocery store types of bags to stick your foot in. cut away what you don't need.. wind and waterproof, but you'll have more sweat buildup obviously.
Old 10-02-15, 11:26 AM
Ajkollme

Bikes: SuperSix, Nature Boy, Mattioli R1, Burley Tandem

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's almost impossible to keep your feet dry in the rain. Water will either get through your shoes/raincovers, drip down the top of your shoes/raincovers, or your feet will be so insulated you'll sweat through. You'll be comfortable with wool socks, which let you stay warm even when wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.