Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Fix my training oh CX geniuses

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 03:19 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On the flats and descents, I'm okay, but I'm getting dropped like stone on the climbs in races.

Current workouts are 1 day 3min VO2max intervals 1:1 rest, 1 day overunder 2x10-15 intervals, 1 day longer, easy ride and 1 day race.

So should I just drop the over under stuff and substitute another day of VO2 max intervals? I do feel that they were helpful in developing the ability to recover from hard efforts, but didn't really help with the hard efforts themselves.

This is more for thinking about the spring - nothing's going to help me tomorrow.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 11-21-09, 04:16 PM
flargle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you need to work on your climbing.
Old 11-21-09, 08:08 PM
gfactor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike birner wrote a series in CX magazine and I'm planning on doing base miles and then following / modifying that.

https://home.comcast.net/~mjbirner/Cy...CXMagazine.htm
Old 11-22-09, 05:29 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long are the climbs that you are doing poorly on?
Old 11-22-09, 06:09 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not the short ones - I can usually punch those out. It's the steep ones that are 30yds or longer, where if you stand you're wheel spins, especially when you have to brake before heading up (i.e., always).

What generally happens is, I can do them fine on the first lap, but then I'm pretty popped for any more climbing. I'm still okay on the flat's, so it's not like I'm totally done, but the climbing is pretty much shot.

Last edited by SpongeDad; 11-22-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 06:40 PM
jonestr

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
It's not the short ones - I can usually punch those out. It's the steep ones that are 30yds or longer, where if you stand you're wheel spins, especially when you have to brake before heading up (i.e., always).

What generally happens is, I can do them fine on the first lap, but then I'm pretty popped for any more climbing. I'm still okay on the flat's, so it's not like I'm totally done, but the climbing is pretty much shot.
sounds like you are lacking leg strength to mash big gears

I would do seated big gear workouts

get in the equivalent of a 53x13, start from a dead stop, muscle that baby with as little upper body movement as possible for 20 seconds with the goal of being "on top of the gear" by then end of 20 seconds, preferably sooner. Repeat every 5 minutes or so for an hour so you get about 12 of those suckers done.
Old 03-31-10, 03:41 AM
ambro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds more like an issue with muscular endurance/strength, rather than VO2 Max or aerobic endurance. I would highly recommend incorporating some strength training. If you have access to a gym - Squats are the best all-around lower body exercise you can do. If you don't have the time or access, get a pair of dumbles - start w/20 or 25 lbs and do 3 sets of lunges 2-3x per week from now till summer - then drob back to one day per week as you get close to the season. Believe me, they will help.
Old 03-31-10, 06:53 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meh. Sounds like you need to work on FTP development to me. Remember, you can get away w/ stuff on the flats & dh's that you can't when you climb. You need to raise the roof to raise the ceiling & all that jazz we talk about in the RR forum. 2x20', 3x20', 4x10', etc. I would add these to your routine if you're not already.
Old 09-15-10, 07:43 PM
RussellRides

Bikes: 2009 Blue RC8, 2011 Blue Norcross SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to further confuse you...

A higher threshold will always work wonders in cross. The bigger the aerobic engine and lactate tolerance/clearance, the faster you can go during the race. (think 2x20' workouts, etc)

Higher VO2 Max power will help you with 'surges', like a hot lap to prevent someone from trying to pass, or catching a group after a bobble. (think 3x3' intervals)

High muscular power (sprints and mashing a big gear) will help you over the hills without incurring as much 'oxygen debt'. (sprint workouts)

All the above is really just a fancy + complicated way of saying you should probably work on exactly what you're bad at. Find a hill that takes 30 seconds to climb, and do something like 3 sets of five ascents at max effort with ample rest between. Maybe work up to four sets of six.

Also, do you weigh too much? (what bike racer doesn't?), but the more you weigh, the harder the hills are.
Old 09-15-10, 08:50 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Certainly need to lose some lbs - down to 158 from 164 - hoping to get to 150 (someday).

I did some slightly hilly crits this summer. We'll see if that put a big more oomph in my climbing soon.