Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bladed spokes and tensioning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 08:33 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts

Hey all - quick question. What's the preferred way to keep bladed spokes oriented correctly when tensioning nipples? I need to dish my wheel just ever so slightly but when I turn the nipple the bladed spoke turns as well. I'm guessing I need to hold to spoke in place somehow while I turn the nipple?
Old 10-24-22, 08:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
You can get special holders for the spokes for tensioning or just use an adjustable end wrench. The holders are a little less effort to use if you use them a lot and less likely to leave marks on black spokes. bladed spoke holders - Search (bing.com)
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-24-22, 08:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I just true my wheels and ignore windup. Then the last step is unwinding the spokes once true.

No special tools needed other than the spoke wrenches.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-24-22, 10:09 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I just true my wheels and ignore windup. Then the last step is unwinding the spokes once true.

No special tools needed other than the spoke wrenches.
If you don't prevent bladed spokes from twisting, they will often wind up with a full twist or more before the thread catches. That negates the aero effect of the blade and can't be good for the spoke. Sometimes I can hold them by pinching with my fingers just above the nipple. I always keep a tool handy, though. Like this one: https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-...d-Spoke-Holder Your local shop might have them for sale, too. Or they might have some spares lying around. Sometimes they're included with the bike or wheel set.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-24-22, 10:54 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I made a spoke holder
I used a cheap plastic screwdriver handle. Cut it off near the metal blade. Then saw a slot in the end of the handle. I used a 32 tooth hacksaw blade.
That was a bit too narrow for my CXray spokes, so I widened it with a folded piece of fine sandpaper.

It works fine for me, it's easy to keep the spoke from twisting. I use it as close to the nipple as possible.

Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-24-22, 11:19 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
If the nipple is seized ,putting a permanent twist on a light bladed spoke like a CX Ray or Aerolite can happen easier and quicker than you think. I build quite a lot with these spokes and on a new build with lubricated threads, it is easy enough to keep the spokes correctly oriented using a twist resist tool.
When truing well used wheels with a risk of seized nipples, I first put a drop of light oil where the spoke enters the nipple and let it penetrate.
I watch the spoke closely for signs that the end of the spoke is turning with the nipple while holding the spoke as close as possible to the nipple.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 10-24-22, 01:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I've been building whers with light 15gDB spokes for half a century, so managing spoke twist is old hat.

2 tips.

1 - lubricate threads to reduce twist in the first place. Use either a thick grease or something like corn oil which will become be sticky over time.

2- learn to feel the twist and use a motion like 3 steps forward and one back with every adjustment. This will become second nature, and stand you well on all future builds.

FWIW - blade spokes are easy because twist is obvious. But all light spokes twist, you just don't see it. So managing twist is important for all builds.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-25-22, 12:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I either use needle nose plyers or use the "3 steps forward, 2 steps backward" method.

The advantage to bladed spokes is it's easy to see how much spoke twist there is and compensate for it. I find them much easier to work with than round spokes.

And it goes without saying to oil those spoke threads before you start.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 10-25-22, 02:49 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Working with blade spokes is frustrating to me. I have a couple bikes with them. When I’m truing those wheels, I use a pair of channel-locks that have the jaws angled at 45° to hold the blade from twisting. The angle allows me to pinch the blade evenly. I keep telling myself that I’m gonna get (or make) one of those tools like pictured above.

Dan
Old 10-25-22, 06:11 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by FBinNY
1 - lubricate threads to reduce twist in the first place. Use either a thick grease or something like corn oil which will become be sticky over time.
I build with spoke prep, and every pre-built wheel I've worked on used spoke prep. How stable are your wheels built with oiled threads?
Old 10-25-22, 10:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I build with spoke prep, and every pre-built wheel I've worked on used spoke prep. How stable are your wheels built with oiled threads?
Very.

Note that I use a thick grease which provides a decent amount of viscous sticktion.

In any case, there's also nipple/rim friction. Overall, I believe that loosening spokes are the result of spokes not elongated enough by tension, as might be by the case with 14g NDS spokes.

While there's tons of of discussion about tension, the reality (IMO) is that spoke elongation is more important.

A 14g spoke at <80kgf may need adhesion to stay tight, but a 14/16g or 15g at the same tension will stay tight without help.

FWIW spoked wheels predate spoke prep by almost a century. Somehow we managed.
Old 10-26-22, 01:18 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I just use pliers and only put enough pressure to break the initial friction. If I were worried about scratching or gouging the spoke, I suppose I could put some tape on the jaws, but I've never bothered.
Old 10-26-22, 06:05 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Very.

Note that I use a thick grease which provides a decent amount of viscous sticktion.

In any case, there's also nipple/rim friction. Overall, I believe that loosening spokes are the result of spokes not elongated enough by tension, as might be by the case with 14g NDS spokes.

While there's tons of of discussion about tension, the reality (IMO) is that spoke elongation is more important.

A 14g spoke at <80kgf may need adhesion to stay tight, but a 14/16g or 15g at the same tension will stay tight without help.

FWIW spoked wheels predate spoke prep by almost a century. Somehow we managed.
I use mineral oil on my threads and none of my wheels have ever had spokes loosen. Spoke prep is a crutch for a poor build. NDS tensions in the 50-60kgF range are sufficient to keep spokes from loosening as long as your tensions are even on each side and you have stress relieved your wheels properly. Granted that I build wheels as a hobby and not for a living, so I can take my time in being very thorough about all the steps.
Old 10-26-22, 12:24 PM
oldbobcat

Very.
I'll give it a try. The rims on my Bontrager Race Lites are nearing the end of their life, but the hubs are strong. I've been thinking of rebuilding them with Aeolus Comp TLRs.
Old 10-26-22, 07:19 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Thanks all, super helpful!
Old 10-27-22, 10:57 AM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Lombard
NDS tensions in the 50-60kgF range are sufficient to keep spokes from loosening as long as your tensions are even on each side and you have stress relieved your wheels properly.
Does that mean no dish, or does that mean even tension on one side?
Old 10-27-22, 11:49 AM
FBinNY 

It means exactly what he said.

There's even tension on EACH side, independent of, and not necessarily equal to the other.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-27-22, 01:34 PM
oldbobcat

There's even tension on EACH side, independent of, and not necessarily equal to the other.
OK. I wasn't trying to be obtuse.
Old 10-27-22, 01:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Even tension on one side.