Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody Crack The Bruce Gordon Serial Number Code?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 01:36 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts

Just got in a BG road frame, looks to be late-'70s to early-'80s, serial number G020278. I'm pretty sure the "G" is a G, not a mis-stamped 6 or 8, and the following "0" is a zero, not a capital O. I'm wondering if anybody has cracked BG's code, if there is a code. I'm familiar with all the "BG is a curmudgeon," "ask him, he might tell you" and "for $90 he'll look it up for you" comments, at this point I'm only mildly curious about the mfr date and was just wondering if anybody has cracked the code.

The frame looks like a solid-but-not-deluxe custom build, has BG's fastback stays/seat cluster but doesn't have the cool asymmetrically drilled lug holes, no bridge or bottle boss reinforcements. Lugs are thinned longish-point, french-style stay ends, over-bb cable guides, two bottle cage mounts, pump peg, no rack/fender eyelets/mounts. Heart-shaped bb shell cutout. Recessed brake mounts, 10-o'clock brake casing stops on top tube. Relatively short 41cm chainstays for a tallish 61cm c-c frame with clearance for at least 32mm tires. 73/74.5-deg ST/HT, haven't measured drop or trail yet.

Steer tube is rifled Columbus with visible Columbus stamp, no seat tube rifling, no identifying frame tubing sticker.

The combo of over-bb cable guides, recessed brake mounts and dual cage mounts strikes me as '78-'82ish, and the "78" in the serial number fits that, but if it was custom it could have been a later build, the "78" could be unrelated to prod yr. I don't think BG was building stock frames at this point.

Don't think this will be a quick build, I'm thinking either Spb Pro or Dura-Ace, with fat rubber.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8409318442_f628a3a1b4_z.jpg (99.5 KB, 134 views)
8409318792_a8661f0441_z.jpg (98.1 KB, 119 views)
8409319082_a0751b56a8.jpg (76.9 KB, 116 views)
8408225467_6297bb62a8_z.jpg (89.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-23-13, 01:53 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Why not email the man himself?
Old 01-23-13, 01:56 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Very pretty frame, whenever it was crafted.
Old 01-23-13, 02:11 PM
pcb 

I kinda know Bruce and I don't think digging into his old build records is something he enjoys doing, so I figured I'd shout out here to see if anybody knew the code. If it's as simple as "the last two digits are the build yr," or some other known code, I don't need to bother The Man hisself.

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Why not email the man himself?
Old 01-23-13, 02:30 PM
pcb 

Thanks, I've always liked his work, never had a lugged BG before. I think his lugged frames have a nice understated but identifiable style, even his fancier builds don't usually shout "fancy." Around '90 he introduced a tig-welded production road frame that rode great and was more affordable than his lugged frames, but less identifiable. Surrounded by Marin MTB tig builders, he's offered a few tigged production frames over the years. Bought one of the '90 tigged road frames a while back from an email buddy in Tejas, traded it back to him after a bit when he realized he really wanted/needed it back.

Originally Posted by due ruote
Very pretty frame, whenever it was crafted.
Old 01-23-13, 02:35 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
As for the numbers, I am 99.9% certain that "020278" means it the second frame started (or finished) in February 1978. This is the same numbering system Albert Eisentraut, from whom Bruce Gordon learned his craft and for whom he worked in the mid-70s, used. I think the first two digits are frame number and the second two are the month, but I am not positive it isn't vice-versa. I've been told several times which it is (including by Bruce Gordon himself at NAHBS) and can never remember. In your case, it doesn't matter - it's the second frame from February 1978.

I am much less certain about the "G", but my somewhat-educated guess is it simply stands for "Gordon." Eisentraut used no lead-in letter on his "A" frames and an "L" lead-in letter on his "Limited" frames, which Gordon helped build. So I surmise that using the "G" lead-in letter was to distinguish his frames from Eisentraut's while keeping the same serial number system. It makes sense, but as I said, I am not certain about that part of the serial number.

Is that the frame that was up on eBay a week or two ago? Regardless, it's a beauty.
Old 01-23-13, 05:34 PM
pcb 

Yay, the code is cracked---thanks! Makes sense that BG continued with Eisentraut's scheme. I had a '75 Eisentraut Limited, the ser# format was a little different; #75L493, so a '75 Limited (75L), frame #493. Don't know if that was #493 for '75 or #493 of all Limiteds. Evidently 'traut's custom/non-Limited frames were numbered differently. At any rate, you heard it from BG himself, so Feb '78 it is. That would be less than 2yrs after Bruce left Eisentraut and moved to Eugene to build under his own name, so a relatively early frame.

An active ebayer snagged this from Sultan on ebay, then decided not to keep it and listed it. I didn't see it on Sultan's listing, then somebody else got it on the first relisting, but decided it wouldn't fit and bailed. I outbid one other bidder on the third listing (third time's the charm) and triumphed. So it percolated through ebay a few times in less than a month. Looks like a keeper to me, I'll post some better pix once she's cleaned and built.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
...I am 99.9% certain that "020278" means it the second frame started (or finished) in February 1978. This is the same numbering system [used by] Albert Eisentraut...I think the first two digits are frame number and the second two are the month...I've been told several times which it is (including by Bruce Gordon himself at NAHBS) and can never remember. In your case, it doesn't matter - it's the second frame from February 1978.

I am much less certain about the "G", but my somewhat-educated guess is it simply stands for "Gordon." Eisentraut used no lead-in letter on his "A" frames and an "L" lead-in letter on his "Limited" frames, which Gordon helped build. So I surmise that using the "G" lead-in letter was to distinguish his frames from Eisentraut's while keeping the same serial number system. It makes sense, but as I said, I am not certain about that part of the serial number.

Is that the frame that was up on eBay a week or two ago? Regardless, it's a beauty.
Old 01-23-13, 05:46 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Pretty frameset!

Certainly high on my list.
Old 01-23-13, 05:57 PM
bgcycles 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
As for the numbers, I am 99.9% certain that "020278" means it the second frame started (or finished) in February 1978. This is the same numbering system Albert Eisentraut, from whom Bruce Gordon learned his craft and for whom he worked in the mid-70s, used. I think the first two digits are frame number and the second two are the month, but I am not positive it isn't vice-versa.
You cracked the code!!!
the G020278 means it was the 2nd bike built in February 1978. Some one said I charged $90 for that info - Wrong - I charge $100 to look up the Tubing Spec, Geometry, & Original Owner. That is because I need to spend over one hour looking through dusty, moldy boxes. I'm not that much of a grouch that I would not tell what the serial # means. Those who were told the $90 to $100 refers to looking up build info. I don't need to spend any time to decipher the serial # - I made them up and they are fairly logical.
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
brucegordoncycles.blogspot.com/
Likes For bgcycles:
Old 01-23-13, 06:17 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by bgcycles
You cracked the code!!!
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
Well, I can't take too much credit for code-cracking skills, since you told me your serial numbering system at NAHBS in Sacto last March.
Old 01-23-13, 07:09 PM
pcb 

Cheers, Bruce---thanks for confirming the code cracking! Since it's not obvious from my frame #, are the first 2 digits the sequential build no. for the month, and the second two digits the month? So the 15th frame built in Jan of '88 would be 150188? This is a lovely frame, I've been wanting to add a lugged BG to the herd for quite a while now.

Thanks again, and there's a PM heading your way...

You cracked the code!!!
the G020278 means it was the 2nd bike built in February 1978. Some one said I charged $90 for that info - Wrong - I charge $100 to look up the Tubing Spec, Geometry, & Original Owner. That is because I need to spend over one hour looking through dusty, moldy boxes. I'm not that much of a grouch that I would not tell what the serial # means. Those who were told the $90 to $100 refers to looking up build info. I don't need to spend any time to decipher the serial # - I made them up and they are fairly logical.
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
Old 01-23-13, 09:33 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You cracked the code!!!
Regards,
Bruce Gordon
www.bgcycles.com
So awesome that this happened.
Likes For JReade: