Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

In praise of modern dual pivots.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 09:13 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts

I was riding my 650b Raleigh professional today on pavement in downtown Peoria IL. Riding about 14-15mph when a car crossed the road directly in front of me. I have tektro 559 brakes with tourist style levers. I nailed the brakes and both of my smooth gravel kings slid as I came

to an almost immediate stop. I'm a believer. I test brakes but never panic test. I just missed getting hit or hitting that car. The only reason I missed was really excellent brakes.
Old 05-09-23, 09:40 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I was riding my 650b Raleigh professional today on pavement in downtown Peoria IL. Riding about 14-15mph when a car crossed the road directly in front of me. I have tektro 559 brakes with tourist style levers. I nailed the brakes and both of my smooth gravel kings slid as I came

to an almost immediate stop. I'm a believer. I test brakes but never panic test. I just missed getting hit or hitting that car. The only reason I missed was really excellent brakes.

Your bike knows it's gorgeous and wasn't about to get itself messed up so it assisted you in stopping 😁
Old 05-09-23, 09:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Bergz
Your bike knows it's gorgeous and wasn't about to get itself messed up so it assisted you in stopping 😁
It freaked me out so much I didn't chase the car down. Just a completely oblivious driver.
Old 05-09-23, 10:42 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 863 Posts
I have dual pivots on my Pro as well. From that elite brand known as "Nashbar", but they do work much better than the Dia-Compes I had on it during my racing days.

Before anyone asks, I bought my Professional 40 years ago as a bare frame and fork - all the original Nuovo Record components had been harvested long before by a prior possessor.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-10-23, 05:14 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I have dual pivots on my Pro as well. From that elite brand known as "Nashbar", but they do work much better than the Dia-Compes I had on it during my racing days.

Before anyone asks, I bought my Professional 40 years ago as a bare frame and fork - all the original Nuovo Record components had been harvested long before by a prior possessor.
Mine was bought as a fixie so I understand completely. I like dia comps but I am sure they wouldn't have stopped as well.
Old 05-10-23, 11:17 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 553 Posts
52telecaster glad to hear you were unscathed.

2 things I NEVER cheap-out on - brakes and tires.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-10-23, 11:54 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by RustyJames
52telecaster glad to hear you were unscathed.

2 things I NEVER cheap-out on - brakes and tires.
Absolutely!