Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thomas DeGent no fan of hookless…

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 09:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Maybe I was being sarcastic. I thought the rant about large flange hubs would give it away. It didn't so that means it was the perfect amount of believable. People are too serious here on BF.

That being said, I do have 3 sets of wheels with large flange hubs. They do have a better ride than small flange. I wish they were still around.
Again, the perfect amount of "believable." Well played.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-06-24, 10:33 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I must not understand what 'sliding out' means because to me it seems really easy for someone to slide out in a sharp turn, regardless of hub design or spoke lacing and regardless of tire type, if the tire deflates or if the tire loses contact with the ground.
The fact that a tubular tire will stay attached to the rim doesn't mean a wheel won't slide out on a sharp corner if the tire deflates or if the rider hits a bump at a bad angle during the turn.
A shallow box rim won't keep a rider from sliding out on a sharp corner if the rider hits a bump, the wheel loses contact with the ground, and the rider is at a bad angle during the turn.
The lacing pattern of a wheel won't keep a rider from sliding out on a sharp corner if the rider hits a bump, the wheel loses contact with the ground, and the rider is at a bad angle during the turn.

I was responding to Fredo76 whose post I find to be of little value and erroneous because he attaches benefits to something that doesn't inherently contain those claimed benefits.
If someone slides out on a sharp turn using a carbon rim and disc brake, there is 0 reason to think they wouldn't have slid out on that same sharp turn using a box rim with tubular tire and traditional lacing to a low flange hub.
Like really, what does the lacing pattern have to do with anything? Why would a low flange hub stop a wheel from sliding out in a sharp turn better than the hub flange height of a modern hub?...and speaking of, why is Fredo assuming the modern hubs aren't also low flange?

I think his post was bad and contained erroneous information which misdirects the issue and frames the type of equipment he likes in a positive light. So I questioned his comment.
But since you two have responded, I am open to underswtand hat I am missing here. Why would a low flange box rim 3 cross laced tubular wheel not slide out in a sharp turn? And if that can be answered, then this can also be answered- why do carbon rim tubeless wheels with disc brakes slide out in that same sharp turn?
I mean the rear wheel losing traction in the fashion that motorcyclists call a "low-side" crash, without sand, gravel, rain or oil present as an obvious cause. They just seem to me to happen more often on disc wheels, with my woefully inadequate sampling consisting of watching a couple of team time trial stages and being surprised by low-side crashes, as if someone had rolled a tire. I don't know the reason they would be more common, technically, and so supposed what might solve it - older equipment, because I don't recall it happening much before disc wheels. Just a guess, not an engineering claim.

And my conclusion stands, regardless - not crashing is faster than aero.
Old 04-06-24, 10:43 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
I can't say how this fits into modern wheels and tires, but back in the late 70s and 80s my sewup wheels were noticeably better at cornering than my clinchers. It was my impression that the clincher tires were somewhat oval, so grip was lost suddenly if I leaned over the "edge" of the oval. Whereas the tubulars had no edge, so were more predictable. I am far from having very good balance but I was able to catch a skid on the tubulars. On clinchers, I just went bang.
Old 04-06-24, 11:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
They just seem to me to happen more often on disc wheels, with my woefully inadequate sampling...

I didn't question your conclusion, I questioned the reasoning you used to reach your conclusion. The fact that you don't understand I was questioning your reasoning, even though I laid out in detail why I question your reasoning, is spot on for this conversation.
Old 04-06-24, 11:23 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
I can't say how this fits into modern wheels and tires, but back in the late 70s and 80s my sewup wheels were noticeably better at cornering than my clinchers. It was my impression that the clincher tires were somewhat oval, so grip was lost suddenly if I leaned over the "edge" of the oval. Whereas the tubulars had no edge, so were more predictable. I am far from having very good balance but I was able to catch a skid on the tubulars. On clinchers, I just went bang.
I rode/raced on tubulars exclusively from 1964 to about 1990, and I don't remember my clinchers, once I made the transition, being noticeably inferior to tubulars for cornering. I'd crashed enough times on tubulars by then to have likely become more cautious at cornering, both on tubulars and on clinchers, though.
Old 04-06-24, 12:55 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I didn't question your conclusion, I questioned the reasoning you used to reach your conclusion. The fact that you don't understand I was questioning your reasoning, even though I laid out in detail why I question your reasoning, is spot on for this conversation.
Please instruct me on how to Ignore a member. Does this forum have that feature? How do I do it? I'm serious.

I've got a list, of people who like to argue about arguing, it seems.
Old 04-06-24, 01:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Please instruct me on how to Ignore a member. Does this forum have that feature? How do I do it? I'm serious.

Is that list pretty much just as long as the list of others who question your reasoning behind some comments and claims?
I bet it is...

Click on my screen name. Go to my profile. Go to user lists. Select 'ignore.
Old 04-06-24, 03:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
I mean the rear wheel losing traction in the fashion that motorcyclists call a "low-side" crash, without sand, gravel, rain or oil present as an obvious cause. They just seem to me to happen more often on disc wheels, with my woefully inadequate sampling consisting of watching a couple of team time trial stages and being surprised by low-side crashes, as if someone had rolled a tire. I don't know the reason they would be more common, technically, and so supposed what might solve it - older equipment, because I don't recall it happening much before disc wheels. Just a guess, not an engineering claim.

It might help if you could point to the actual TTs you were watching. Usually when they slide out it is because the grip level was unexpectedly low or they chose the wrong tyre compound for the conditions eg Bissenger when he crashed twice in the 2022 TDF TT.

Disc wheels are sensitive to crosswind, so that could be a factor in certain cases, but otherwise I don’t see much relevance. The pros push the limits in cornering and TT bikes are not the easiest handling.

Your suggestion of using old equipment would guarantee losing before they even left the starting gate. Sometimes it’s a case of win or bust in a TT.
Old 04-06-24, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts

Here's how I do it:

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: