Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bought a Cheap 80s road bike with those accessory handlebar brakes. Why are they bad?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bought a Cheap 80s road bike with those accessory handlebar brakes. Why are they bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 07:04 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Pretty much like it says in the title. I have brakes in the drops and then those other levers that are on the top of the handlebars. They are a little sloppy but they actually work pretty well. Why are they considered evil?
Old 10-15-23, 11:25 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Funny enough when they first appeared in 1969 they were a hit. Overnight Schwinn moved all their bikes but one (the paramount) to them. Weimann found the prospect so intimidating that they cross licensed all their parents to dia compe in exchange for access to them turkey levers.

To a lot of folks they look dated. Nobody on the tour de France used then so they were obviously for people that were not serious :-/

So yes, they don't work as well as the front levers but they work well for driving around in the upright position. I put them on all my touring bikes.
Old 10-16-23, 03:50 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Pretty much like it says in the title. I have brakes in the drops and then those other levers that are on the top of the handlebars. They are a little sloppy but they actually work pretty well. Why are they considered evil?
The ones on the top of the handlebars are "inline" brake levers and are main or primary brake levers. The ones that extend horizontally in the drops are the "safety" or "suicide" brake levers and are secondary brake levers. Historically, bike experts and mechanics consider and think that the inline/main/primary brake levers on the top of the handlebars provide the best braking force of the two, and the safety/suicide/horizontal brake levers do not provide as much braking/stopping force as the inline/main/primary brake levers, and are garbage/trash.

Ironically, safety/suicide/horizontal brake levers are my "go to" levers and I almost always reach out to them first to break and stop my vintage Schwinn bike, as being placed horizontally under the handlebar they are much more easily accessible to my hands and fingers than the inline/main/primary brake levers. Mine (safety/suicide/horizontal) break well and perfect. I ride long distances in the city and in an upright position. I can't imagine myself riding a >25 mile distance bending over throughout.
Old 10-16-23, 04:40 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
What is this doing in appraisals?
Old 10-16-23, 06:47 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
When I starting refurbing bikes long ago, I would regularly remove the "suicide" accessory brake levers based on personal bias. I didn't think they helped, so off they went. Easier to apply handlebar tape too.

Then a buyer asked me where the suicide levers went. Told them I removed them, and they shot back: "Do you still have them?" Nope, they're long gone.

But that one incident made me rethink my strategy. After that, I left the suicide levers on, and instead gave the buyer the typical warnings about them and best use practices.

In the end, business sense won out over personal bias. I still don't like them, but it's a buyer's prerogative, so I left every single pair on after that.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 10-16-23, 07:25 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I had the modern-day version of those levers (interrupter levers) on a bike in the early 2000s and have often wondered why I don't use them again. They worked great.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-16-23, 08:22 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Not really evil, but they're a sign of a lower end bike. And as you say, they tend to be sloppy.
Old 10-16-23, 08:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from Appraisals to reggly C&V.

Old 10-16-23, 09:24 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Not Bad if you admit that the braking effectiveness is reduced. way back we sold them a “comfort” levers, not safety levers. customers wanted the appearance of a “racing” bike but these allowed steering and braking from the tops, often paired with stem shifters. Not a braking position for max braking.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-16-23, 09:47 AM
abdon 

The reduced breaking is blown out of proportion. You could call the front end of my brakes suicidal because if I slam on the front one hard enough I would go flying over the handlebar. Heck a friend of mine did just that on a bike I let him borrow, he wasn't used to brakes that actually worked as intended. Or riding on the top of the handlebar without "suicide" brakes suicidal, if you have to make an emergency stop you have to let go of the bars in order to reach the brakes.
​​​​​​
the reality is that on a well adjusted bike they offer adequate breaking power, which is less than the front, which in most cases is more than you could even use. Plus is your bike, you know what works best. Many times when I see a hard stop coming I automatically switch hand positions.

I'm waiting for a specialized expedition touring bike to arrive in the mail. I don't think it ever had them turkey levers, it is about to get them for the first time.
Old 10-16-23, 10:20 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Yes those, if one was not paying attention and used the safety lever at the wrong angle the lever could, and would, pop out of position leaving one for a oh dang moment.
Old 10-16-23, 11:48 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Not Bad if you admit that the braking effectiveness is reduced. way back we sold them a “comfort” levers, not safety levers. customers wanted the appearance of a “racing” bike but these allowed steering and braking from the tops, often paired with stem shifters. Not a braking position for max braking.
It seems to me that if a rider is spending so much time on the tops that they want the brake levers there, perhaps converting to upright bars/levers would be prudent. Full travel for the brake levers would then be restored.
Likes For daka:
Old 10-16-23, 01:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
The extension levers of the 1970s usually had two issues that reduced maximum braking. Typically they would bottom out on the handlebar tops or come parallel to the tops; nullifying your squeeze. And this often happened well before the main lever was fully squeezed. And at least the DiaComp extensions pulled the main lever down with a tab that prevented the main lever from returning all the way so maximum braking power is reduced using either lever. The Weinmanns, as I recall (it's been 40 years) had a different connection and left the travel of the main lever untouched (but still not fully used by the extension).

Now the modern (CX cyclocross) inline levers are fully effective, do nothing to the basic braking with the main lever and are real stoppers. They do assume modern "aero" brake levers with the brake cable housing run under the handlebar tape.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-16-23, 02:25 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Properly set-up, the levers do work OK but there is a distinct need to apply more pressure. Improperly set-up will result in poor stopping performance...

Properly set-up means ensuring that the hubs are adjusted, the wheels are true, the brake pads are toed in, and clearance from pad to wheel is optimal. Get that all correct, and those comfort levers will do their job, until something goes out of adjustment, cable stretch, pad wear and ??? occurs, then the levers will, sooner or later bottom out. I base those comments on personal experience.
Old 10-16-23, 03:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I used to be kind of in favor of them- they didn't seem to affect my braking too much. Until that one time that it affected my braking just enough to almost cause a serious accident.

If people are comfortable with them - all power to them- and they considered with all the other things that people dig that I don't. Turkey wings, "the Rules," Strats, Taylor Swift, etc...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-16-23, 03:39 PM
abdon 

Is not like you remove the front levers in order to use those. The only difference is that you get a choice that you can apply based of conditions.
Old 10-16-23, 05:18 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
It seems to me that if a rider is spending so much time on the tops that they want the brake levers there, perhaps converting to upright bars/levers would be prudent. Full travel for the brake levers would then be restored.
Yeah, and the real tragedy is (was) that so many people in the bike boom days ended up with bikes that weren't comfortable for them so they just stopped riding.
Old 10-16-23, 07:55 PM
88ss

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
I like the accessory levers and miss them a lot when I ride a bike without them. Some years Shimano 600 brakes had them so they were not all on low-end bikes.
Old 10-16-23, 08:30 PM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
1) they are closer, longer, and easier to squeeze.
2) they are farther (making you and your body to stretch), shorter, and harder to squeeze.

It's a no-brainer what brake levers my hands automatically reach out to in order to slow down or to stop.
Old 10-16-23, 08:36 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
the Power of marketing and styling. You are being sensible, people do not spend money on being sensible as often as spending money to look sophisticated. Hip, with it. Young, sporty.

we added convenience levers to Mafac brakes very often way back, Peugeot would not put them one the UO8 for the longest time, that was a profitable decision for bike shops, especially when the converting pin was made to allow Mafac levers to use the Dia-Compe extension levers. They liked the way the Peugeot rode, but wanted the ease of use.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-16-23, 08:58 PM
abdon 

I used to do long distance and touring. On open roads and God forbid a strong headwind, it would suck something fierce not to be able to be on a more aerodynamic position. On the other hand it is awesome when you are slow riding through towns to stretch and relax in a more upright position. I would not want to be forced into either and them turkey levers buy me that flexibility.

As a matter of fact if I'm going fast I'm in the drops using the main levers, when I'm upright I'm going slower. I'm not a mechanical genius but I can get my turkey levers to give me all the stopping power I could need.

Last edited by abdon; 10-17-23 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 10:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Don't get 'em, personally.

I would never own a bike that had suicide levers. But I also would never own a bike with a kick stand, bell, streamers or an orange pennant flag attached to the rear axle. To each their own.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-17-23, 11:12 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Is not like you remove the front levers in order to use those. The only difference is that you get a choice that you can apply based of conditions.
They're complete crap. Over time, they get sloppy and loose - which means you can pull them with all your might and yeah... you might slow from 20 mph to 13 mph before you crash.

fwiw - my uncle owned a bike shop when these came out. He would spend a few minutes with customers explaining their shortcomings and encouraged that they either remove them, or not rely on them.
Old 10-17-23, 11:13 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Not really evil, but they're a sign of a lower end bike. And as you say, they tend to be sloppy.
Not always a sign of a lower end bike. Schwinn used them on their fillet brazed chrome moly models such as the Sport Tourer. My 70s Sekine SHS 271 has them and it's a pretty decent bike with a double butted chrome moly frame and forged drop outs. It's a fun bike:

Old 10-17-23, 11:18 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
the Power of marketing and styling. You are being sensible, people do not spend money on being sensible as often as spending money to look sophisticated. Hip, with it. Young, sporty.

we added convenience levers to Mafac brakes very often way back, Peugeot would not put them one the UO8 for the longest time, that was a profitable decision for bike shops, especially when the converting pin was made to allow Mafac levers to use the Dia-Compe extension levers. They liked the way the Peugeot rode, but wanted the ease of use.
Same Mafac story when I worked at a Peugeot/Nishiki dealership (1972-74), to supplement my teaching assistant salary at UCLA.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.