Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID this frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID this frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 03:30 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Maybe with enough force it might go back, but I have been tossed off a re-aligned bike once and I don't want to give it another go. Smiles, MH
Old 03-21-24, 07:09 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
My offer stands, because I assume you would find lots of other interesting things in the Co-op, from Vintage wool jerseys to a huge glass case full of goodies.

If you don’t like Pinot, fine, I’ll give you a bottle of cab from Walla Walla area. Perhaps a bottle made by agent Cooper himself.

And I’ll have a damn fine cup of coffee

But only after the bike has been straightened and Built up. Also, we have the calibration tools to see if you’ve done a good job.
Old 03-21-24, 11:27 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1

wait.
Does it have to be a Pinot?
"I am NOT drinking any (effing) Merlot!" - Miles, Sideways (2004)
Old 03-22-24, 08:32 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
"I am NOT drinking any (effing) Merlot!" - Miles, Sideways (2004)
That movie did great things for the price of Merlot (went to practically FREE) but effing Pinot went thru the roof!

Bit of Oenological trivia: back in ancient times the bulk of cheap jug wine made in California by huge industrial concerns (like Gallo and their ilk) which was called "Burgundy" or "Hearty Burgundy" was a red blend that leaned heavily on a cheap grape widely available at that time...you guessed it: Pinot Noir!

Their ratios varied but often Pinot would be 40% to 50% (or more) of the grapes in a typical jug-wine Cali-Burgundy blend!
Then Hollywood and Marketing entered the scene...
Old 03-22-24, 04:47 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

Top tube's bent. Okay, it doesn't roll of the tongue quite the way "fork's bent" does.

Or how about the other old chestnut - "That'll buff right out."

To you skilled metal workers out there, that may be fixable and rideable. With my dearth of such skills, my head and heart say "find something else." If it were a 1963 Unobtanium, Model Object-of-Decades'-of-Unrequited-Lust, in otherwise original condition, in my size, and someone I trust (someone like gugie, PortlandJim, bulgie or Ed Litton) assured me it would be safe for someone of my (large) size to ride the straightened result of "cold setting" that out (and that it would ride okay when straightened), I might - might - feel differently. As it is, the conservative side of my nature has no problem saying I would not want it, for free or otherwise.

Besides, it's too small.
Old 03-23-24, 11:29 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
That movie did great things for the price of Merlot (went to practically FREE) but effing Pinot went thru the roof!

Bit of Oenological trivia: back in ancient times the bulk of cheap jug wine made in California by huge industrial concerns (like Gallo and their ilk) which was called "Burgundy" or "Hearty Burgundy" was a red blend that leaned heavily on a cheap grape widely available at that time...you guessed it: Pinot Noir!

Their ratios varied but often Pinot would be 40% to 50% (or more) of the grapes in a typical jug-wine Cali-Burgundy blend!
Interesting!

My favorite episode of Columbo (dating myself) was one where Donald Pleasence played a fine vintner who had spent decades developing an award-winning vinyard, and his brother was going to sell it all out to a maker of jug wine, and it was more than he could take and offed him. Not greed, not malice, but dedication and pride. Columbo took it easy on him after he admitted it.
Old 03-23-24, 11:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts

Not quite.

There is a grape, not pinot noir known as Valdiguié. It was widely planted in central and Northern California and used in jug/box wines. Since 1989, it was often mislabeled as California Gamay or Burgundy.

Robert
Master Sommelier Candidate.
Old 03-24-24, 11:09 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
his has the potential to spiral into a "what's the best grease debate, but let's say for ground rules that beverage choice is a matter of personal taste.
I'm not a master Sommelier Candidate, but i think also "not quite", based only on (to paraphrase Will Rogers) "I just know what I read in the papers I mean the interwebs". Which is that there was/is a lot of variation in jug-wine "formulas" since this style was in California production from at least the "mid-century" until today.But focusing on just one of them, perhaps the longest-lived and best-selling of the many, many brands, here's what the web told me about Gallo Hearty Burgundy :"...Kelley (spokesperson for Gallo Winery) said the wine was originally made from grapes grown in California’s North Coast, mostly zinfandel, petite sirah and carignan. Now the wine sports a California appellation and is made from zinfandel, syrah, sangiovese, pinot noir, grenache and cabernet sauvignon. It’s a distinctly non-Burgundian blend, but the price is right: only $5 for a 750-milliliter bottle and $8 for a 1.5-liter jug.

The wine was a favorite of winery founders Ernest and Julio Gallo, Kelley said, “because it was the kind of hearty red wine they were raised on and it went well with their evening meal.”
And no I am not endorsing or recommending Gallo HB or any other brand of California jug-red...but I still am not a fan of Pinot Noir.
YMMV
Likes For unworthy1: