Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How Were Rear Racks Mounted in the Old Days?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 11:45 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

I have this Raleigh Capri and want to mount a standard rack. I'd love to find an old silver ratrap but I don't want to pay a fortune for it. Anyway since I don't have braze-ons on the seat stays, how were they mounted back in the 80's? Is there some hardware I can buy to do it that way now?
Old 10-16-23, 11:52 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
The Pletscher type racks clamped on the seat stays and seldom left them unmarred. A Blackburn or Vetta rack, which is more rigid, would fasten at the rear brake bolt or with P-clamps to the seat stays.
Likes For daka:
Old 10-16-23, 11:54 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
P-clamps on the seat stays or on the rear (solid) axle.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-16-23, 01:46 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
There was a Plestcher rack that mounted to the seatpost clamp in the 70s, but it isn’t common. I personally cringe at the ones that clamp to the seat stays. I have one of the seat post clamp style on my 73 Schwinn. Of course there is also the Blackburn rack that can mount to the rear brake bridge bolt. They are quite versatile, and I even have one mounted that has the mounting strut going through a center pull brake straddle cable.
Old 10-16-23, 02:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Nearly all (all that I ever saw) racks before the modern seatstay braze-ons mounted on the rear brake bolt. Usually going over the brake and bridge and acting as a washer under the brake nut. Cantilever braked bikes were a joy because there you needed just a bolt through the unused brake bridge so rack on and off was child's play.

This was not as stiff as seatstay bossed rack mounts but worked quite well and before recessed brake bolts, it was not hard to add racks to existing bikes with a clean installation.

Edit: What I am looking for is an easy, clean way to convert seatstay compatible racks to the old brake bridge style. I own zero bikes with seat stay braze-ons and to me, P-clamps belong on crawlspace pipes, not my bikes. Rack on-off isn't as easy and straight forward and they are paint nickers if you don't pay attention. I've never owned a bike that didn't have a brake bridge and I look at brake bridge paint at the brake and nut as I look at paint on dropout faces. Expendable.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-16-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-16-23, 02:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by sd5782
There was a Plestcher rack that mounted to the seatpost clamp in the 70s, but it isn’t common. I personally cringe at the ones that clamp to the seat stays. I have one of the seat post clamp style on my 73 Schwinn. Of course there is also the Blackburn rack that can mount to the rear brake bridge bolt. They are quite versatile, and I even have one mounted that has the mounting strut going through a center pull brake straddle cable.
"...I even have one mounted that has the mounting strut going through a center pull brake straddle cable." Done all the time in the 1970s. No one would blink. (Or even notice.)
Old 10-16-23, 03:38 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Pletscher made a bracket that would allow their rat trap rack to be attached to the brake bolt, instead of the stays. I've never seen one in the wild, but there are probably a few on FleaBay.

Another problem with the Pletscher racks was that they only had one strut on each side and were prone to swaying (which probably helped with the paint removal on the seat stays).

A vintage Blackburn (or Vetta) has 3 struts on each side and is much more rigid.
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 10-16-23, 03:45 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts

Or a rack with a center mount for the brake caliper mount:

​​​​​​
Old 10-16-23, 03:54 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
My mountain bike lacks any eyelets on the dropouts, so I use padded P-clamps. The drive side chain hanging peg prevents downward slippage, and the upper anchor is to the seat post bolt. (I replaced the original quick-release skewer with an Allen bolt and nut to at least slow down any Brooks Pro thieves out there.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-16-23, 03:57 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by abdon

Or a rack with a center mount for the brake caliper mount:

​​​​​​
That second one is interesting, but it looks very narrow. You'd absolutely have to buy panniers. I would probably do it anyway but it would be nice to have the option to just bungee stuff to the top.

As to the p clamps. I have read on here I can buy them at home Depot? Any idea what size?
Old 10-16-23, 03:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Pletscher made a bracket that would allow their rat trap rack to be attached to the brake bolt, instead of the stays. I've never seen one in the wild, but there are probably a few on FleaBay.

That bracket wasn't meant to be used instead of the seat stay mounting hardware. It was supplied in the package of mounting hardware along with the usual seat stay mounting pieces and the bolts, screws, and nuts. The rack was meant to be installed using all of the pieces in the package.

The piece pictured above was added to the package at some point in an effort to prevent the rack hardware from sliding down the seat stays (and taking off paint) when the rack was carrying a significant load.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-16-23, 04:14 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I have a couple of these old Pletscher racks, The struts bolt to the eyelets on the drops...

And the front clamps onto the seat stays...

Hope that is a help...
Old 10-16-23, 04:27 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
That second one is interesting, but it looks very narrow. You'd absolutely have to buy panniers. I would probably do it anyway but it would be nice to have the option to just bungee stuff to the top.
you don't have to get that model. Browse rear racks on Amazon, all sorts of racks come with the center mount, a bunch with dual hardware for whichever the case may be.

For vintage Blackburn are popular. They came with center mounts
Old 10-16-23, 04:46 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have a couple of these old Pletscher racks, The struts bolt to the eyelets on the drops...

Hope that is a help...
for a long while before the Blackburn, that was almost IT for everyone during the bike boom.
before the bracket that extended down to the brake mounting, the way we secured them was to hammer the stamped bracket around the stays each side- it was a quick two man task, one with a big ball peen hammer and the other with a small sledge with a blunt chisel end to buck up the strikes. 2 whacks each side and secure. We did appreciate the accessory bracket before Pletcher included one with the parts kit.
a procedure not done in front of a customer.

there was the Wald rack….
Old 10-17-23, 05:38 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Here's an image from my '75 Schwinn Sports Tourer which compliments the ones randyjawa posted. I used some dense foam to help protect the paint on the seat stays.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-17-23, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
I have this Raleigh Capri and want to mount a standard rack. I'd love to find an old silver ratrap but I don't want to pay a fortune for it. Anyway since I don't have braze-ons on the seat stays, how were they mounted back in the 80's? Is there some hardware I can buy to do it that way now?
You can go old school and use p-clamps but those do suffer from several problems…paint marring being only one. They are easier to install if you have a few extra hands. An octopus would probably have some difficulty. A far better alternative is a Tubus rack clamp. The ones in the picture below are a little too small (they come in different diameters) but it worked well for roughly 25,000 miles.

IMG_0622 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

That bike had rack mounts on the dropout but I’ve used them successfully for bikes that didn’t have mounts. I used them top and bottom on this frame and have never had any issues with carrying smaller loads. I’ve never used loaded panniers on the bike but I have used the rack with 10 to 15 lbs in a rack bag while doing mountain biking.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-17-23, 09:07 AM
79pmooney

Thanks guys. Pre-head-injury memories. Pletscher racks. I remembered the rat trap but not the clamp. I thought I'd always been using the downturned early Blackburn style but these posts bring me back to my first several bikes and setting up those Pletschers. (The journey of two lives, one before my 1977 accident, one after. Periodically windows onto that first life get opened. Again, thanks.
Old 10-17-23, 03:15 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by randyjawa

Hope that is a help...
Yes that is a help. Wish I could find a rack that did that. I may have to resurrect my old eBay account
Old 10-17-23, 03:26 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Here you are

Rear rack-ebay

Hardware

and as another used foam above, I've used cork/rubber automotive gasket material to mount the
stay brackets.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 10-17-23 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-17-23, 04:57 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
Here you are

Rear rack-ebay

Hardware

and as another used foam above, I've used cork/rubber automotive gasket material to mount the
stay brackets.
Lol.. Well there it is! Almost perfect enough for me to re-activate my eBay account! Although I guess for $65 I could get a pretty solid rack on Amazon. But yeah that would be tempting to get
Old 10-18-23, 11:38 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Aren't pieces of retired innertube considerd the universal material for protectively mounting things like Pletscher-style brackets?
Old 10-18-23, 02:16 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I just took a look and I have one rack left. In fact, I think it is the one that I took off of the Freddie Grubb (I could be wrong about that). The rack is complete with mounting bracket and in good shape. The only problem is some surface rust on the steel clamp. I rubbed the rust with aluminum foil and it cleaned up not to bad. Let me know if interested via a PM.
Old 10-18-23, 03:22 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist

Another problem with the Pletscher racks was that they only had one strut on each side and were prone to swaying (which probably helped with the paint removal on the seat stays).

A vintage Blackburn (or Vetta) has 3 struts on each side and is much more rigid.
Originally Posted by Trakhak
That bracket wasn't meant to be used instead of the seat stay mounting hardware. It was supplied in the package of mounting hardware along with the usual seat stay mounting pieces and the bolts, screws, and nuts. The rack was meant to be installed using all of the pieces in the package.

The piece pictured above was added to the package at some point in an effort to prevent the rack hardware from sliding down the seat stays (and taking off paint) when the rack was carrying a significant load.
These also work for keeping Wald rear baskets from sliding downward on seat stays. I use one on my chrome cruiser - even though the chrome is resistant to scratches, it helps keep that large assembly more stable at the seat stay mounting point.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 10-18-23, 08:36 PM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
Needed a rack for my 21" 1971 Raleigh Sports ... I tried the Ventura Universal Bicycle Carrier Rack --- which has proved to fit well and support fully loaded panniers. Some like, some don't, but I do.

See photos for how I attached it successfully. It took a while to figure it out. Basically, attached it to the rear brake bolt and the fender drop out holes.

The label for the Ventura Rack ... available on eBay and other sources (in the US)

Attaches over the rear mudguard nicely (with about 1 mm to spare), and parallel to the ground

Attached to rear brake bolt

Share the rear drop out mudguard holes

Panniers attached. Note that there is no place to attach the hook of a bungee cord. Oh well.
Old 10-19-23, 10:21 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by bharrisonb
Note that there is no place to attach the hook of a bungee cord. Oh well.
For racks without a lower hook, I'll take an S hook, push one end into a closed loop, turn the other end 90 degrees, and then put it on the rack eyelet bolt. Seems to work well.
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.