Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1978 Trek TX770 531??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1978 Trek TX770 531??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 10:04 AM
triathloner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
1978 Trek TX770 531??

An older gentleman has had this bike since new, he rode it about 100 miles total, had a special bag made to fit it, and it has sat in his basement forever, I have voiced my opinion about liking the bike many times in the past. Him and the wife are moving from their home into a townhouse as they are getting older, now I have the option to buy and he doesn't want much. It is pristine, It comes with a set of schwinn spokes and nipples, Dura ace special crank remover, and cassette tool still in the box. The bike has dura ace crank, headset, and brakes, with crane derailleurs. It doesn't fit me, but I want it, I don't think I could sell for profit, it's too nice. But I have the vintage sickness so I'm going to buy it, and probably put it on the wall in the garage where I work. Am I crazy.

It has a serial number of G4G8032 which vintage trek tells me was a TX770 that was made as a custom TX700, if you look at their subnotes about having a G in the front of the serial number, It says that the customs with the G were made out of Columbus tubing instead of Reynolds 531. This bike has 531 stickers on it so I'm a little confused. The guy did say he made two trips to the factory, one for measurement, and one to pick up the bike, so it is a custom. Any thoughts on this?

I know pics or it didn't happen, I'm not computer savy but once I get it cleaned up I will try to figure out how to post pics on here, cause I think it's pretty to look at a nice piece of history like this. Thanks for any help or thoughts. Al.
Old 07-14-11, 10:17 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Nice bike. I've got a '78 TX500 with Ishiwata tubes. Just completed a century on it this past Saturday. Comfortable, stable, spirited ride quality.

I'd take the Vintage Trek pages info with a grain of salt. There are lots of anomalies. It's possible he requested 531 vs. the Columbus they may have used as a 'standard' on custom frames.

I think you should buy it if it's available. Why not. Maybe you can trade for a similar frame in your size in the future?
Old 07-14-11, 10:32 AM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Super cool. In for pics.
Old 07-14-11, 10:34 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
If you buy it and would like to sell or trade, let me know, if it is a 24 inch frame!
Old 07-14-11, 10:39 AM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's a 24" but I don't think I will sell, sorry.