Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

27" gravel tires choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 01:03 PM
Johnmwny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
27" gravel tires choice

Hey all I'm converting an old steel tourer into a bit of a more modern gravel rider. My choices for tires seem pretty slim but it looks like Panaracer Pasela ProTite 27"(aw278-lx-18pt2) and Kenda K161 KrossCyclo tire (05742002) seem like the best options. love to hear opinions on these and or other choices.
Old 09-11-23, 02:44 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
If you're going to be dealing with mud or wet foliage or other stuff where some knobs are going to make a big difference, the K161 isn't a bad choice. For gravel which is mostly dry aggregate, and especially if you want it to retain good road attitude, a road tire like a Pasela will probably be overall better.

The big limiting factor is width. 27" is historically a road wheel, so wide option for handling chunky stuff just don't really exist. Also, obviously nothing is made for tubeless setup, if you want to go in that direction.

Depending on how major of a rebuild this is, one possible option would be to switch to 700c. Besides opening up wheel and tire options, it also sometimes buys a bit of extra tire clearance. But you'd need to be able to lower your brake pads by 4mm.
Old 09-11-23, 02:48 PM
Johnmwny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I considered switch rims and might but at this point the bike is a play ground for learning other techniques for modification and I’d hate to invest a big chunk of money and then much up the frame or something. I have A set of road tires right now that are okay but won’t survive long so I’m going to hit up some of the rougher trails I’d like to ride and see how poorly they handle and go from there.
Old 09-12-23, 01:30 PM
Johnmwny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
There's really no mucking up the frame switching to 700c wheels/tires. Tektro makes "long reach" road brakes, which is a simple and cheap swap, and allows these older road bikes to run modern wheels.

I built up an early 80's road bike that was originally on 27" wheels. The wheels were crap. I ended up only re-using the frame/fork, and headset. Switching to 700c allowed that frame to run 700x35 tires, which was pretty darn nice. I went with 100 quick release in the front, which was the original hub width for that bike. The rear was likely 126, but it took a 130 without needing to be cold set.
im not worried about the wheels messing up the frame haha. I am not going to invest into rims when I plan on modifying the frame and might have useless rims at some point. Im sticking with 27” rims I made it clear.
Old 09-17-23, 06:32 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 525 Posts
Sand Canyon tires by Swift, made by Panaracer. 27x1 3/8, these are my favorite 27" tire for gravel.