Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

33.4 mm seatpost clamp?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

33.4 mm seatpost clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 01:58 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
33.4 mm seatpost clamp?

Greetings...

Today I decided to work on early 90's Trek 7000 MTB I picked up in 2022. Upon getting it into the light I discovered the seatpost clamp is missing. I figured this would be easy enough to replace: just go to the parts bin and pick one...but I figured wrong. The OD of the seat tube is 33.4 mm, which appears to be a very odd size since there near zero references (that I can find) to a corresponding seatpost clamp.

There is a not-so-close-to-me bike co-op that I could rummage through next time I'm in the area. I thought about trying to "expand" a 31.8 mm clamp but not sure how that would turn out. I also have a 34.9 mm clamp that I suppose I could somehow shim. I did find a couple of (somewhat expensive) 34.0 clamps on ebay that may or may not work.

Beyond those options, am I SOL?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-24, 06:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
I suspect that there's some measurement error, either your mistake or some distortion at the top of the tube.

If this is a metal frame, measure the middle of the seat tube where you know it's OK. Since the tube extends to the end, that's what the right clamp would match.
Or-----
Measure the seat tube after a proper fitting seatpost is in place, checking that it's snug and can't rock, nor are there any visible gaps.

Of course there's always the option of finding a published spec. online.

Worst case, if it actually is a screwball, you can build it up to a standard diameter with multiple windings of tape.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-07-24 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-07-24, 07:12 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 667 Posts
what is the measurement (Outside diameter) of the seat POST ? I suspect it's 31.8

that's the measurement you need. then go to eboy and type in "seat post clarmp 31.8" and see what you get.

seat post clamp 31.8 for sale | eBay

/markp
Old 01-07-24, 07:25 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
what is the measurement (Outside diameter) of the seat POST ? I suspect it's 31.8

that's the measurement you need. then go to eboy and type in "seat post clarmp 31.8" and see what you get.

/markp
The clamp needs to be sized to fit the seat TUBE of the frame, not the seat post.

Salsa makes a 33.3mm clamp.

Last edited by bboy314; 01-07-24 at 07:50 PM.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 01-07-24, 09:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by mpetry912

/markp
Sorry, but no.

You have to keep the OD of the post distinct from that of the tube it fits into.

Frame seat post clamps are sized by the OD of the frame tube, not the post, they fit.

So, assuming a 31.8 (1-1/4) post, we'd expect a seat tube with that ID, a and most likely a 1/16" wall and 34.9mm (1-3/8") OD.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-08-24, 04:01 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Greetings...

Today I decided to work on early 90's Trek 7000 MTB I picked up in 2022. Upon getting it into the light I discovered the seatpost clamp is missing. I figured this would be easy enough to replace: just go to the parts bin and pick one...but I figured wrong. The OD of the seat tube is 33.4 mm, which appears to be a very odd size since there near zero references (that I can find) to a corresponding seatpost clamp.

There is a not-so-close-to-me bike co-op that I could rummage through next time I'm in the area. I thought about trying to "expand" a 31.8 mm clamp but not sure how that would turn out. I also have a 34.9 mm clamp that I suppose I could somehow shim. I did find a couple of (somewhat expensive) 34.0 clamps on ebay that may or may not work.

Beyond those options, am I SOL?

Many thanks in advance.

Let us see if we have one in our bins, I will check later this morning for you

Old 01-08-24, 08:18 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Greetings...The OD of the seat tube is 33.4 mm, which appears to be a very odd size since there near zero references (that I can find) to a corresponding seatpost clamp.

I also have a 34.9 mm clamp that I suppose I could somehow shim.
A shim of 0.75mm thickness is all you would need the reduce the 34.9 to 33.4, about the thickness of some aluminum cans which you could use. I had a bike for 20 years with an aluminum can shim for the seat tube clamp and no issues.
Old 01-08-24, 09:04 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Can confirm the bonded Trek frames take an odd clamp. I usually kept one in the seat clamp bin as they are hard to find. I might have one let, would have to check. An older Trek dealer, not a Trek branded store would probably have one somewhere.
Old 01-08-24, 02:47 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

OD verified

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suspect that there's some measurement error, either your mistake or some distortion at the top of the tube.

If this is a metal frame, measure the middle of the seat tube where you know it's OK. Since the tube extends to the end, that's what the right clamp would match.
Many thanks for your feedback. I probably should have inserted a pic of the caliper measurement originally but I will post it here for posterity in case anyone else stumbles upon this oddball:

Above is at the top of the seat tube where it is smaller than the rest of it to accommodate the clamp (note lip below the caliper). There does not appear to be any undue "stress" - either inward or outward - on the clamp area as the slot opening looks parallel (to my old man eyes). The rest of the seat tube appears to be 35.2 mm FWIW. Frame is aluminum.
Old 01-08-24, 02:56 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

good idea

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Can confirm the bonded Trek frames take an odd clamp. I usually kept one in the seat clamp bin as they are hard to find. I might have one let, would have to check. An older Trek dealer, not a Trek branded store would probably have one somewhere.
Thanks for confirming!

I had briefly considered calling a pre-Trek-store shop and asking if by chance they had one of these laying around but thought the odds were pretty long...BUT...after reading your post I started to think the odds have to be a bit better than rummaging through bins at a co-op
Old 01-08-24, 02:58 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by HMJ
Many thanks for your feedback. I probably should have inserted a pic of the caliper measurement originally but I will post it here for posterity in case anyone else stumbles upon this oddball:

Above is at the top of the seat tube where it is smaller than the rest of it to accommodate the clamp (note lip below the caliper). There does not appear to be any undue "stress" - either inward or outward - on the clamp area as the slot opening looks parallel (to my old man eyes). The rest of the seat tube appears to be 35.2 mm FWIW. Frame is aluminum.
Yes, we're past that now. As confirmed by another post earlier, Trek, for whatever reasons of their own, opted to neck (or turn) the tube down slightly to make it require a unique clamp. Then, of course, stop making that clamp.

Either shim it to accept a standard 35mm clamp, or visit an old time Trek dealer and hope they still have the right clamp.

FWIW I'm impressed, though never surprised at the lengths companies will go to create oddball sizes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-08-24, 03:04 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, we're past that now. As confirmed by another post earlier, Trek, for whatever reasons of their own, opted to neck (or turn) the tube down slightly to make it require a unique clamp. Then, of course, stop making that clamp.

Either shim it to accept a standard 35mm clamp, or visit an old time Trek dealer and hope they still have the right clamp.

FWIW I'm impressed, though never surprised at the lengths companies will go to create oddball sizes.
Another option: use the readily available clamp in the correct size manufactured by Salsa.
Old 01-08-24, 03:07 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

thanks for the lead!

Originally Posted by bboy314

Salsa makes a 33.3mm clamp.
So they do...many thanks for the intel!

I'd have to check the width of the Salsa clamp to make sure it is not larger than the clamp area of the Trek's seat tube, since it is smaller than the rest of the tube (see above). I wouldn't think it is an issue...but then again I didn't think getting a clamp for this bike's seat tube would be a big deal either
Old 01-08-24, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
So they do...many thanks for the intel!

I'd have to check the width of the Salsa clamp to make sure it is not larger than the clamp area of the Trek's seat tube, since it is smaller than the rest of the tube (see above). I wouldn't think it is an issue...but then again I didn't think getting a clamp for this bike's seat tube would be a big deal either
I would have high doubts that Salsa clamp wouldn't fit it is such an odd size that it would be silly of them to make it incompatible with the Treks which have that odd ball size and might be the only ones.