Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Felco or Knipex spoke cutter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 12:55 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

I feel like the sorting hat in Harry Potter, hmm.

I want to snip stainless spokes (2.00-2.6mm, up to 3mm would be nice to have, but not essential) to size, which to choose? Felco C3 or Knipex 95-62-190?

Can not find HRC for Felco but some web sites claim (this is hard to find info on the web) 10-15% harder than C7, but cuts up to 3mm wire. C7 brochure advertises 2.5mm Piano wire.

Knipex advertise HRC 64 and up to 2.5mm Piano wire.

One dealer told me via email he thought C7 was what I required. When I asked what he based that on, considering I didn’t need the 7mm opening and was dedicating this cutter to spokes, then would not the C3 be a better choice? No answer as yet.

Felco 30% more expensive than the Knipex, should be a done deal, but is the C3 a better cutter UP TO 3mm? That is my question folks?
Likes For awac:
Old 01-24-24, 01:24 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Bahco 1520G are pretty good.

I've mostly used them for cutting cables, but they can handle "beefier" stuff (rated for up to 3.8 mm piano wire).

Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 01-24-24, 01:33 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
I want to snip stainless spokes (2.00-2.6mm, up to 3mm would be nice to have, but not essential) to size, which to choose? Felco C3 or Knipex 95-62-190?
For cutting just the occasional spoke, or multiple wheels' worth? I ask because we had a little bench shear, with an adjustable stop, that made short work of cutting dozens of spokes accurately.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-24-24, 01:38 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-24-24, 01:41 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
Bahco 1520G are pretty good.

I've mostly used them for cutting cables, but they can handle "beefier" stuff (rated for up to 3.8 mm piano wire).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVQWp0NywI
Hi Relja,
Always liked Bahco stuff, they have some good stuff, (and some bad stuff, you got to be objective with it, especially wood working tools).

These will leave a chisel point, yes can run a file over the end, but was trying to find as square a cut as possible.

When ever I see your avatar or read your website I always think about a song called “The song of the gremlin”! Part 1 & Part 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captai...e_Starfighters

The concept was based on the German Air Ministry's purchase of the Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, which was eventually nicknamed Widowmaker by Luftwaffe pilots. In German service these planes had a poor safety record, with 262 out of 916 Luftwaffe Starfighters lost in accidents during the aircraft's time in service, which lasted from the early 1960s until the mid-1980s”.
Likes For awac:
Old 01-24-24, 01:59 PM
awac

Originally Posted by grumpus
For cutting just the occasional spoke, or multiple wheels' worth? I ask because we had a little bench shear, with an adjustable stop, that made short work of cutting dozens of spokes accurately.
The odd pair so up to 72 at a time. I seem to find nos long spokes on ebay for very little money (last box of Bradkiss stainless db cost me Ł10), so have got a Hozan coming (from the US via Amazon, cheapest I could find).

I have the usual box of extra spokes, and it is annoying when I want a different length for the drive side. I build for myself, family and friends so a little time on cutting is ok.

Thought I might make a holder for the cutter to sit on a table to snip to length with a stop.

If the inheritance comes in before I retire or die the Phil Wood will be mine, oh yes! Try finding a used on in the UK, no chance, it has to be new.
Old 01-24-24, 02:01 PM
awac

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Lol. I have a spare room as a wheel build, I would start a fire!
Old 01-24-24, 06:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I use a cut off 5" cutoff wheel when cutting out spokes from a wheel. Unless you have open combustibles in the area where you are doing the cutting, it is unlikely to start a fire. Also keep in mind that this can be done outside where the mess is no big deal. Put a rubber rim strip around the rim to keep the spokes from shooting out of the spoke hole opening.
A thick cut off wheel will last significantly longer than a thin one.
Old 01-24-24, 06:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Having blunted a few nice wire cutters over the years I now use small bolt cutters or diagonal cutters that don't cost much. Andy
Old 01-24-24, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
In the debate between Felco and Knipex, I went with Knipex but honestly either is good but in the end I probably would use neither for cutting spokes personally. However to cut a spoke it would probably be another either or situation.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-24-24, 09:36 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I bought the Hit Tools 22-WRC75, had the same material handling capacity as the Knipex at half the price and made in Japan by a reputable company. I've cut a fair number of spokes with my and it shows no sign of fading. I've done your plan before and its very long tedious work. I found its easier to find shops with cheaper priced spokes or search ebay for random boxes. I might have a drawer full of small bags and boxes each containing a dozen or less spokes but I still have my sanity.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-25-24, 03:05 AM
awac

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I use a cut off 5" cutoff wheel when cutting out spokes from a wheel. Unless you have open combustibles in the area where you are doing the cutting, it is unlikely to start a fire. Also keep in mind that this can be done outside where the mess is no big deal. Put a rubber rim strip around the rim to keep the spokes from shooting out of the spoke hole opening.
A thick cut off wheel will last significantly longer than a thin one.
Thank you. For Cutting out, it is the tool, I want to trim the ends.I have a choice of disc cutters at work but I wanted something quiet and focused I could use in my spare room. I am not doing this commercially so a little time is ok.
Old 01-25-24, 03:40 AM
awac

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I bought the Hit Tools 22-WRC75, had the same material handling capacity as the Knipex at half the price and made in Japan by a reputable company. I've cut a fair number of spokes with my and it shows no sign of fading. I've done your plan before and its very long tedious work. I found its easier to find shops with cheaper priced spokes or search ebay for random boxes. I might have a drawer full of small bags and boxes each containing a dozen or less spokes but I still have my sanity.
Looks like the Felco, doesn’t it? Must drive them mad to see so many copies! Thank you for the recommendation.

I should change my name for when the UK economy crashes (er, did I say when?), maybe “eco spoke warrior worrier?”. Lol.
I also like finding boxes of spokes, but it annoys the hell out of me not being absolutely spot on with my build, so being able to alter them is King for me. OCD, autism, call it what you like (tedious, really? Lol) but it calms me to deep dive and focus (I used to carve wood to relax, let me tell you this forum has nothing on the sharpening forums!).

You assumed I had my sanity to begin with! Always love that word assume-they say never do that because it makes an ass out of you and me, lol.

When the great day comes, ie work slavery is finished, (assuming I don’t die one day before pension received, they keep moving it!) I will then sit and build wheels and supplement the meagre UK pension for however long I have left. I will not have to go for quantity but focus on quality (said the bishop to the actress), I will die over a truing stand and will be smiling. I will have of course, the Phil Wood by then, anyone out there have a used one for sale? Sigh…..
Likes For awac:
Old 01-25-24, 06:22 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Knipex mini bolt cutter all day. will do up to 5mm stainless. Spokes, fender stays, QR skewers and pretty much whatever will fit in the jaws.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 01-25-24, 06:41 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I also like finding boxes of spokes, but it annoys the hell out of me not being absolutely spot on with my build, so being able to alter them is King for me. OCD, autism, call it what you like (tedious, really? Lol) but it calms me to deep dive and focus (I used to carve wood to relax, let me tell you this forum has nothing on the sharpening forums!).
I suspect it's an old design so I'm not certain who originated it. Leaving it to whoever makes the subjectively best one. Most important is the one whose handles don't touch each other which is great for pinching the palm of your hands.

As for sharpening, the sandpaper on a glass plate is best. Just need 2k,4k,6k and 8k grit wet paper and a good strop properly charged. If you can shave with your plane blade you're spot on. Unless it's a new blade, then you start at 400 grit to flatten the blade and set your angle, don't forget to surface the plane too.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-25-24, 08:28 AM
awac

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I suspect it's an old design so I'm not certain who originated it. Leaving it to whoever makes the subjectively best one. Most important is the one whose handles don't touch each other which is great for pinching the palm of your hands.

As for sharpening, the sandpaper on a glass plate is best. Just need 2k,4k,6k and 8k grit wet paper and a good strop properly charged. If you can shave with your plane blade you're spot on. Unless it's a new blade, then you start at 400 grit to flatten the blade and set your angle, don't forget to surface the plane too.
Ha! A man with a problem! Not alone! Sharpening gets you like that…..can’t say anything, Sorby Pro-edge and finish with a translucent Arkansas stone, or my traveling friend a Luther best maide 51and a 105 (insane little hand crank which can get up to 4000rpm with a bit of gusto!). Hollow grind or flat bezel or mix the two, so many choices…..lol.
Old 01-25-24, 08:31 AM
awac

Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Knipex mini bolt cutter all day. will do up to 5mm stainless. Spokes, fender stays, QR skewers and pretty much whatever will fit in the jaws.
Thank you. I expect a v notch is left. Not a deal breaker, was just trying to find a clean square cut with the cable cutters, but maybe this is the way to go?
Old 01-25-24, 09:19 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts

When the great day comes, ie work slavery is finished, (assuming I don’t die one day before pension received, they keep moving it!) I will then sit and build wheels and supplement the meagre UK pension for however long I have left. I will not have to go for quantity but focus on quality (said the bishop to the actress), I will die over a truing stand and will be smiling. I will have of course, the Phil Wood by then, anyone out there have a used one for sale? Sigh…..
If you broaden your search for a spoke cutting/threading tool to include the Morizumi, you might have more luck. Used machines, both Phil Wood and Morizumi come up now and then on wheel building groups, but they do hold their value quite well so you will still pay a fair amount for a used machine.
For what it's worth, I have had my Morizumi for about 11 years, put more than 60,000 spokes through it with one change of the dies and still serving me faithfully. I could not run my shop without it.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 01-25-24, 03:27 PM
awac

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If you broaden your search for a spoke cutting/threading tool to include the Morizumi, you might have more luck. Used machines, both Phil Wood and Morizumi come up now and then on wheel building groups, but they do hold their value quite well so you will still pay a fair amount for a used machine.
For what it's worth, I have had my Morizumi for about 11 years, put more than 60,000 spokes through it with one change of the dies and still serving me faithfully. I could not run my shop without it.
Hi Dan.They are both great machines, but neither come up for second hand sale here. I have heard great things about both.The import tax from the US puts 20% on top of the shipping, and buying second hand over such a distance carries its own risk. I have a feeling it will be a new purchase. When I do set up shop it will be a business expense.
Old 01-25-24, 04:30 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Thank you. I expect a v notch is left. Not a deal breaker, was just trying to find a clean square cut with the cable cutters, but maybe this is the way to go?
They cut spokes pretty clean, the Felco style cutters do tend to cut/break spokes a little cleaner. On fender stays the mini bolt cutter does make a mess that needs cleaning up, still pretty quick way to get it done.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 01-26-24, 08:29 AM
awac

Well, Knipex are edging closer to the finish line, but still time for Felco to nose ahead….

I have emailed a dealer in London, Felco.com, Felcouk.com, also the importer for the Uk for an answer. The dealer recommended the C7 but has not answered when I asked what he based that on. The company has not answered my email yet, but will give them until mid next week. It gives me the jitters when trying to BUY something they do not reply, imagine trying to contact with a PROBLEM?

The answer I want is why suggest C7 not C3 when the maximum cut is 3mm and hard stainless? The jaws are supposed to be harder HRC on the C3 by 10-15%, what is that hardness? They are supposed to give better wear, why not recommend them to me? They are to be dedicated to spoke cutting only.

The only brochure I can find was on Felco Romania’s site (in English), and it gets more confusing. No where is the C3 recommended over the C7, so what is the point? Are the jaws harder or is the span of the handle the only difference, to help with repetitive tasks?

If I was to pay a premium over a cheap tool, I expect a company to know the differences between its products, and tell me why they recommend a certain model. The web site is full of warnings about sub standard fakes, a bit more technical information please!

Knipex at least publish the data you need to make that choice, that’s why they are in the lead at the moment….
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PliantFelcoIndustrial.pdf (2.98 MB, 5 views)
Old 01-26-24, 05:44 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 666 Posts
for cutting spokes the $20 cutter from AMZN is good enough

get compound leverage. this is not a precision operation

Amazon.com : heavy duty cutting pliers

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-26-24, 06:28 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
for cutting spokes the $20 cutter from AMZN is good enough

get compound leverage. this is not a precision operation

Amazon.com : heavy duty cutting pliers

/markp
Good suggestion, at a price that makes it easy to use them only for spoke cutting.

That said: am I really the only guy on Bike Forums who is happy to unscrew spoke nipples and save the spokes and nipples for future builds? Stainless spokes are among the few bike components that really are likely to last forever. (Jobst Brandt once mentioned that he had ridden some 300,000 miles on one set of stainless spokes, having replaced the rim many times and the hub a few times.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-26-24, 08:05 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 666 Posts
re-use spokes yes, nips no. false economy

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-27-24, 02:11 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 335 Posts
I see no pictures of the cutters in question. Hardness matters, but so does leverage ratio to reduce repetitive stress injuries; a shorter distanct from the cutting point to the handle pivots, and/or longer handles, will help. So does compound leverage, like a Vise-Grip (tm), or bolt cutters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.