Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Phil Wood hub bearing replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-23, 01:46 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts

I need to replace the bearings for this hub.
Its a 126mm spaced freewheel hub.

I've seen online that early Phil Wood hubs can't be rebuilt at home but newer hubs can.

Q 1 - Is this an early or late model hub?

Q2 - Are the bearings marked on the inside with model numbers or do you simply order based on size?

Old 10-07-23, 02:08 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 277 Posts
The picture makes me think they are not the field serviceable version. If they were you could put a 5mm hex wrench through each end and unscrew the axle. The older hubs had a nickel plated hub body with pressed on flanges. If you had an arbor press you could replace them yourself. I believe you could send the wheel in and pay a fee to have them replaced at Phil Wood. Their are bearing # on the inside face of the bearings.
Old 10-07-23, 02:13 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
That looks like an early hub? I think the easy to do ones have two different size bearings in the rear hub. The tool kit is basically some spacers and a QR.

Old 10-07-23, 02:43 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
@Rick you are correct they are not the field serviceable model.

you can press the bearings out and install new ones. Not really a "simple" repair - bearing alignment is key.

/markp
Old 10-07-23, 02:51 PM
Anicius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You didn't mention why the hub bearings need to be replaced. For whatever it's worth, I have a 40-spoke Phil Woods rear hub, which I purchased in 1992. I had the idea, at the time, that it would be simple to replace the bearings. Not so. The bearings are seated using a glue of some sort. Only one of them is lodged against a shoulder on the axle. The other is simply glued in position. The glue lasted, with very light use, about 7 years. The glue failed and the loose, unshouldered bearing permitted the wheel to shift laterally about 1/4 to 1/2 inch when in use. This created some shifting problems at the freewheel. On the road, I found I could take the wheel off and tap the axle lightly on the pavement to move it back enough to be useable for a while, as a temporary cure. Ultimately the hub became useless. Several years ago, I got a $90 quote from Phil Wood, exclusive of shipping, to rebuild it. I declined, because I figured in another 7 years it might have to be rebuilt again. This particular hub makes me think of subscription software.
Old 10-07-23, 03:09 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts
Thank you all.

I have a local mechanic who has a press and says he can rebuild it. I have to supply the bearings and figured I'd ask if anyone knew what bearings I need.

I should have measured the bearings before posting as I "think" they're different sizes.

I suppose it can be a spaced out job. He can remove the bearings and then I can order the bearings. Hopefully he can remove them as I don't see anywhere what Phil Wood charges to install bearings but I bet it's more now than $90....
Old 10-07-23, 05:11 PM
Anicius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It's possible to call Phil Wood, since that's what I did. But that $90 wouldn't include shipping, so your local guy is bound to be less expensive. On my old hub, the bearings are indeed two different sizes.