Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tablet in a handlebar pack?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 03:07 PM
philski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 7" tablet and looking to take it bikepacking. I don't forsee using it while on the road other than to check a cue sheet or maps (or grabbing it to take a picture / video / etc) but I could see utility in having it facing me in a bag. Anyone done this using a bag with a clear map window in the top? Does it work? Or is there too much glare? Any other ideas / success or fail stories using tablets on a bike trip?

thanks

philip
Old 12-14-13, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You kids and your tech toys. tablet? it's line a video you play to keep the children in the back seat amused..

I'd save it for your motel room, whats wrong with Just riding the Bike ? and looking at the world around you?

this bag lets you put a smaller widget in the lid and still have it work

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-u...tre-prod31786/
Old 12-14-13, 04:36 PM
Simon Cowbell

Bikes: Ti Lite and a Vaya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Kindle, loaded with maps and guide books, rides in my handlebar bag. If I need the map (or book,) I stop and get it out. For me, having devices on my bars leads to a clock-watching behavior that reminds me too much of work. Still, plenty of people do ride with phones and GPS units on their bars. The only problem with having a tablet in a map case is that the touch screen functions might not work, in which case you might as well just leave it in the bag.
Old 12-14-13, 04:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My 7 inch tablet is as hard to see in the sun as my smartphone. Both use batteries pretty fast when the screen is turned on, even faster when the screen is set at full brightness.

Some tablets have a GPS chip in them, mine does not. If mine did, I could see having it as a backup GPS with map. Specifically, MapWithMe android mapping app allows you to load road maps where you have a wifi connection, can use them later off line. The Lite version is free. But that works best if you have a clue where you are, thus the GPS chip adds practicality That said, I would leave it turned off until I needed it to save power.

I bought my tablet to take on a tour, did not want to take my netbook. It was great as a wifi device for checking the news and weather, for reading files, occasional e-mailing, etc. I bought the smartphone later, on my last tour only the smartphone went along, the tablet and netbook both stayed home.
Old 12-14-13, 05:03 PM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You kids and your tech toys. tablet? it's line a video you play to keep the children in the back seat amused..

I'd save it for your motel room, whats wrong with Just riding the Bike ? and looking at the world around you?
Like I said in the OP, " I don't forsee using it while on the road other than to check a cue sheet or maps " ... and I'm a bikecamper, but some cached maps, a cue sheet and notes come in handy. And sometimes you just gotta stop and take a picture to share with the family back home! -philip
Old 12-14-13, 05:06 PM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Some tablets have a GPS chip in them, mine does not. If mine did, I could see having it as a backup GPS with map. Specifically, MapWithMe android mapping app allows you to load road maps where you have a wifi connection, can use them later off line. The Lite version is free. But that works best if you have a clue where you are, thus the GPS chip adds practicality That said, I would leave it turned off until I needed it to save power.
I specifically bought one with a GPS chip (evga tegra note 3). Thanks for the MapWithMe suggestion - I'm evaluating a couple different options and I'll add that one to the mix.

I have a dynohub with lights. I plan on building a little AC to DC USB convertor with a LiPo battery which I can top off while riding.

I camp, generally backwoods, so I am as self sufficient as possible. Still not sure I want to rely on a tablet but as a 'multiple use device' it can justify its weight.

thanks guys

philip
Old 12-14-13, 05:50 PM
BLYTZPK
Banned

Bikes: '78 Raleigh rebuilt to 21C...Redline Monocog cyclocross in steel redone to 8 spped trekker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear rack on foam in a Pelican box. There is a backpack manu online with a suspension inside the pack but often people fall on the back. Do you have a connector for an external antennae ? Verizon sells a half wave vertical you can set into a reflector...see Northcountry Radio. I made one from 1x1 wood ant support/cardboard covered with Al foil.

are there online manufacturer tests for falling tablet flash drives ?
Old 12-14-13, 06:12 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I recently started carrying a tablet on tour. As others have stated the tablet really is not piratical for turn by turn navigation. So what I do is to tuck it in my handlebar bag. I use it at night for getting on line and to plan the route for the next day. Should I come across a road that looks interesting, I will pull it out and check out the route. It also comes in handy for looking for places to eat or places to stay along the way.
Old 12-14-13, 06:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I forget Cameras are passe' .. BTW the Manufacturers of the Dynamo USB trickle chargers
say the small output is insufficient for the kind of power tablets need .

so just to be realistic the cell phone , maybe, a low current draw GPs , maybe..

Might have to go into the bar and use the mains power to top up the tablet.
Old 12-15-13, 08:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by philski
I specifically bought one with a GPS chip (evga tegra note 3). Thanks for the MapWithMe suggestion - I'm evaluating a couple different options and I'll add that one to the mix.

I also use the Open Cycle Map layer in the Russian Military Maps, Pro version ($11). You can try the free version first. The Pro version allows you to download a larger map area to save in memory for use later. But, this larger map area is still tiny compared to the Maps With Me where you download entire states at at time. The Russian Military Maps app is much more memory intensive than the Maps With Me app. But the maps include bike trails. It took me a while to figure out the intricacies of how best to use this app, but once I did I was very happy with it.

I also loaded GPS Test. One of my GPS apps stopped working, after loading GPS Test it started to work again. Not sure why but I am keeping it loaded since it was free and there is no disadvantage to having it loaded.

With these mapping apps, you will want a good size memory card plugged into your tablet.

For biking, I still prefer a stand alone GPS unit, but these apps are pretty neat to have. My Garmin GPS units have such a tiny screen that it would be impossible to plan out a route, a 7 inch table would be a lot better where I have wifi access.
Old 12-15-13, 05:55 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I recently started carrying a tablet on tour. As others have stated the tablet really is not piratical for turn by turn navigation. So what I do is to tuck it in my handlebar bag. I use it at night for getting on line and to plan the route for the next day. Should I come across a road that looks interesting, I will pull it out and check out the route. It also comes in handy for looking for places to eat or places to stay along the way.
This is my take on it. I quite often carry a tablet even on my day long rambles. For backup mapping on the tablet and my android based phones I use MapFactor Navigator with the free download maps. Works well enough for me, a lot lighter and smaller than the DeLorme Atlases I used to haul along. FWIW I also use an app called FoxFi that will allow me to leverage a cellular connection as a WiFi hotspot for the tablet if I need too, usually just wait until I find wifi along the route though.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-15-13, 06:07 PM
blauger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be concerned with it overheating and the possibility of it being damaged would be greater than if it was in the pack. I have a full size ipad and since it doesn't fit in my handlebar bag. I keep it in the right front pannier. I rarely use it en route as it's more convenient to use the map on my phone. However. When you need a bigger screen. It's well worth having along.
Old 12-16-13, 07:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by blauger
I would be concerned with it overheating and the possibility of it being damaged would be greater than if it was in the pack. ... ...
I carried my 7 inch tablet in a neoprene foam sleeve made out of the stuff that scuba divers use for wet suits. I then put that in a plastic box (with the cables, etc.), the plastic box was intended to prevent something from cracking the screen. I think I paid 69 cents for the box on sale at Walgreens, it was sold as a pencil box in the school supplies area. The box is not strong enough to stand on, but it is robust enough to protect the tablet in a pannier and is quite lightweight.

Have Ortlieb panniers so I did not need a separate waterproof cover, but if I did not pack it in a water proof pannier I would have also had a small drybag to put it in. I carry a small drybag in my handlebar bag in case of rain for my camera.
Old 12-16-13, 10:35 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blauger
I would be concerned with it overheating and the possibility of it being damaged would be greater than if it was in the pack.
I've managed to overheat my iPhone when I left it in the map pocket of my handlebar bag. Everything I've stored inside the bag has been fine. I had a 100-degree 96-mile day back in 2009 where the iPhone, Kindle, and my insulin were in my handlebar bag and all of them came through without a problem...
Old 12-16-13, 10:49 AM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions!

Originally Posted by BLYTZPK
Rear rack on foam in a Pelican box. There is a backpack manu online with a suspension inside the pack but often people fall on the back. Do you have a connector for an external antennae ? ...
Interesting. This tablet has no connector for an external antenna. But it works pretty well - I can get a reliable fix inside my house. Not worried about pulling it out of a bag to use it. Pelican box is definitely gonna keep the tablet pristine (and I actually have one the right size) but im not sure I want to add the bulk.

I forget Cameras are passe'
Bikepacking (like backpacking) multiuse tools are worth their weight in gold. And this particular tablet has a nice HDR camera. One less thing to charge/break/get sand or water in.
BTW the Manufacturers of the Dynamo USB trickle chargers
say the small output is insufficient for the kind of power tablets need . so just to be realistic the cell phone , maybe, a low current draw GPs , maybe.. Might have to go into the bar and use the mains power to top up the tablet.
Where I go, there are no bars! :-) I like the backwoods, country roads, etc. I'd be building my own power system from scratch: input power from a 6V 3W dynohub with a AC-DC inverter and then voltage regulation/smoothing to USB power standards. I used to fly RC airplanes and I still have most of the bits I need to pull it off, and know where to get the parts I don't have. I'd also wire in a few LiPo's to top off along the way for backup when I'm not pedaling, for long layovers, etc.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I also use the Open Cycle Map layer in the Russian Military Maps, Pro version ($11)...
Clipped your quote but great information, thank you, I will give it a try!

Originally Posted by wahoonc
This is my take on it. I quite often carry a tablet even on my day long rambles. For backup mapping on the tablet and my android based phones I use ....
You too, sir!

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Thanks.

I found the MTS Cue Sheet app which looks like it will serve most of my purposes for tours under a week; with a downloaded map of the state for backup in one of the mapping apps.

I'm also looking at getting a waterproof sleeve ( https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Sam...+tablet+sleeve ) for storage on the bike and use in less than favorable conditions.

thanks everyone,

philip
Old 12-16-13, 06:12 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Just as an add on... we use Nexus 7 tablets at work. I work in heavy construction, specifically industrial roofing and siding. Our Nexuses (Nexi?) are in Otter Box covers, we have yet to have one damaged. My personal one is in a leather flip cover. They don't like being left in direct sunlight, but inside a handlebar bag they should do fine.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-16-13, 07:32 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

this bag lets you put a smaller widget in the lid and still have it work

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-u...tre-prod31786/

Judgement judgement judgement judgement judgement...

Elitist suggestion / why not do things my way?

Ortlieb Product

Aaah. A true classic Bike Forums post!
Old 12-16-13, 10:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I was perfectly happy with paper OS maps, myself.. 4 covered all of Ireland.

+ I still have them as souvenirs even after loaning them to a new friend,
who mailed them back from Japan.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-16-13 at 10:19 PM.