Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fit question: frame too large, but perfect reach?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 12:15 AM
Carbocation

Bikes: Miyata 100, Miyata fixed gear conversion, Centurion Ironman Master (halfway done)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Current bike: 48cm (C-C) Miyata with a 53cm top tupe + 7cm stem
I've been riding it for 6 months and I thought it fit me perfectly. No aches and pains at all.

A friendly neighbor saw me working on my bike one day and offered me his old Giant. It's 56cm (C-C) with a 57cm top tube + 11cm stem. I haven't ridden it too far yet, but it feels much more comfortable and I can breathe a lot better. Now when I go back to the Miyata, I feel extremely cramped.

2 problems on the Giant:
1. I've bottomed out the seatpost (68cm BB-to-saddle), but the bottom of my pedal stroke still feels slightly too low for me. Is this something I can safely get used to (hip/knee damage?), or will shorter cranks be necessary?
2. My crotch hits the top tube if I flat-foot over it. I need to tip toe to clear the top tube. Is this too dangerous?

(btw: I am 5'8" with a 30.5" inseam. According to competitivecyclist.com I need a 52cm C-C frame, 68cm overall reach, and 69cm BB-to-saddle)
Old 11-20-05, 12:31 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, don't go by some "online fit calculator"--seriously

go talk with someone who can watch you on the bike, watch you pedal--etc

either way, it sounds like your position is much improved--especially if you've opened up your chest

good luck

Originally Posted by dude with bike
My crotch hits the top tube if I flat-foot over it. I need to tip toe to clear the top tube. Is this too dangerous?
Unless you're gonna be doing some OCP dismounts--I wouldn't worry about it. The trend seems to be towards smaller frames--I prefer a frame that is almost too big. I think small frame is OCP or something, maybe they think it is lighter? I dunno

Standover is a bad judgement of fit anyway--just don't bust your... on the top tube.

Last edited by Serpico; 11-20-05 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-20-05, 12:52 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbocation
I've been riding it for 6 months and I thought it fit me perfectly. No aches and pains at all.

A friendly neighbor saw me working on my bike one day and offered me his old Giant. It's 56cm (C-C) with a 57cm top tube + 11cm stem. I haven't ridden it too far yet, but it feels much more comfortable and I can breathe a lot better. Now when I go back to the Miyata, I feel extremely cramped.

2 problems on the Giant:
1. I've bottomed out the seatpost (68cm BB-to-saddle), but the bottom of my pedal stroke still feels slightly too low for me. Is this something I can safely get used to (hip/knee damage?), or will shorter cranks be necessary?
2. My crotch hits the top tube if I flat-foot over it. I need to tip toe to clear the top tube. Is this too dangerous?

(btw: I am 5'8" with a 30.5" inseam. According to competitivecyclist.com I need a 52cm C-C frame, 68cm overall reach, and 69cm BB-to-saddle)
Check out Sheldon Brown's article on fitting. I also agree with Zigarut. OCP's trendy way of fitting is to buy a frame that is way too small and use a MTB 350-400mm seat tube jacked way out of the frame to give you that high seat low handlebar look.

From what you said 5'8" with only a 30.5" inseam means you have an unusually long torso. That explains why you like a 57cm TT. Have you examined a custom frame? Gunnar/Waterford can put you into a real nice Reynolds frame for reasonable money. You can even save some dough by transfering you group to the new frame and selling the old one off.

Tim
Old 11-20-05, 01:04 AM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbocation, you a chemist or something?

Not being able to clear the toptube without tiptoeing isn't really ideal, but well, your body won't notice a difference as long as you're on the saddle. Don't slip when getting off the bike, though.
Old 11-20-05, 01:04 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can you get off the bike quickly without castrating yourself?
Old 11-20-05, 01:20 AM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1
OCP's trendy way of fitting is to buy a frame that is way too small and use a MTB 350-400mm seat tube jacked way out of the frame to give you that high seat low handlebar look.
Or, people who wish they were Jan Ulrich. I know Giants don't come in traditional sizing, but that frame looks like about a 59cm virtual top tube length to me. Does anyone know what Ulrich's inseam measurement is?

Old 11-20-05, 01:36 AM
trayer350

Bikes: Vortex, Proteus,Tuscany, Victoire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am alone, apparently, in my view, but it sounds, to me, like the bike is too tall for you.

Having practically no seatpost showing, and still finding the pedals too low makes me believe that frame would be unhealthy for you. I would think you are going to have trouble. Fit is critical.

I think the Fetish frame, or maybe some other, has a long top tube relative to the seat tube length.

The way you have it set up, it doesn't sound stylish, either, and, to some degree, a little style makes you feel good. But, that is just my view, and others disagree.
Old 11-20-05, 02:48 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Uh... how about posting a picture of the 56cm's set-up? Once you're riding, the only three points that matter is the triangle between the handlebars, the seat and the crank. Those are the most critical dimensions as far as fit goes. Yes, standover height is an important concern for safety and comfort in moving around on the ground, but it makes absolutely zero contribution to cycling efficiency and comfort.

Finding a smaller bike with 57cm top-tube is going to be darn difficult in smaller size. I've got a 54.5 cm top-tube with 135mm stem. You might want to consider getting a 52-54cm bike with 55cm top-tube and using a 130mm stem to emulate the same reach as that 56cm...
Old 11-20-05, 08:21 AM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

2 problems on the Giant:

Does anyone make a SPD compatible platform shoe? Seriously, quit jacking around with this cr@p that doesn't come close to fitting.
Old 11-20-05, 08:30 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with Sydney on this one-that bike is too big for you. One short ride is not enough to give you the big picture.
Old 11-20-05, 08:43 AM
Ineedhelp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've bottomed out the seat post, what it sounds to me more like is you're now riding in more of an upright position, and are not as bent over, and that's what's making you feel more comfortable.

If you like this position better, maybe instead you should try getting a stem that is positioned more at a 45 degree angle or higher, to raise the handlebars. There are stems that are adjustable--they're a little pricey, but a whole lot cheaper than getting a new bike. They move up and down at a flip of the lever, no tools needed to change the angle, you don't even have to get off your bike. Stems are also made in different lengths and a longer stem will stretch you out more.

Standover height. I rode a bike for a while that I couldn't stand over without standing on tip toe or lean to the side. I found it to be awkward and disorienting--especially towards the end of a long ride when I was tired, at which point, it also did become dangerous.

When I first got my smaller bike, at first I thought I prefered the larger frame, even though I couldn't stand over it properly, but then I found a nice bike shop that changed out the stem until they found one right for me, making it a perfect fit.
Old 11-20-05, 08:49 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Uh... how about posting a picture of the 56cm's set-up Once you're riding, the only three points that matter is the triangle between the handlebars, the seat and the crank. Those are the most critical dimensions as far as fit goes. Yes, standover height is an important concern for safety and comfort in moving around on the ground, but it makes absolutely zero contribution to cycling efficiency and comfort.

Finding a smaller bike with 57cm top-tube is going to be darn difficult in smaller size. I've got a 54.5 cm top-tube with 135mm stem. You might want to consider getting a 52-54cm bike with 55cm top-tube and using a 130mm stem to emulate the same reach as that 56cm...
Nonsense....A bike can be a bit off in size and not matter that much. One that is grossy too big or too small is just all wrong and jacking with seatpost and stem won't fix it.
Old 11-20-05, 09:14 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hi,
I am 5' 8" and have legs about 2 inches shorter than you.
Having been down this road myself, yes, you may have goofed when you got a 48cm. Try putting on a 110 or 120 stem and see if that helps.

The top tube actually sounds right, but that depends on your riding style. It sounds like you want to move to a more aggressive (and lower) riding position. This happens to everyobdy. You just fool around with stems trying to get a better fit.
Old 11-20-05, 09:29 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trayer350
I am alone, apparently, in my view, but it sounds, to me, like the bike is too tall for you...
You're not alone, trayer350! If the frame hits the fly, then you MUST NOT BUY!!! Standover height is the first and foremost measure of fit. If one can't safely stand over the frame, then EVERY other measurement is academic. ONLY after standover height is safe do top tube length and pedal orientation become significant. The "fit-morons" on BikeForums denigrate the importance of standover height, but they're WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Fit is, undeniably, much MORE than standover height alone, but the fundamentals can't be ignored.
Old 11-20-05, 09:32 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
The "fit-morons" on BikeForums ...........
+1
Old 11-20-05, 09:37 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sydney
+1
I presume you're including YOURSELF in that batch, Syd? 'Cause I'm seeing this issue clearly!
Old 11-20-05, 09:48 AM
toomanybikes

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Uh... how about posting a picture of the 56cm's set-up? Once you're riding, the only three points that matter is the triangle between the handlebars, the seat and the crank. Those are the most critical dimensions as far as fit goes. Yes, standover height is an important concern for safety and comfort in moving around on the ground, but it makes absolutely zero contribution to cycling efficiency and comfort.

Well;

Here's a 54 x 56

https://cramerotti.com/site/product_l...3_mendola_Road

Not that hard to find, add a 120 mm stem and you have the reach you want.
Old 11-20-05, 09:48 AM
sydney

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clearly a case of too much carpet smoke on your part then.
Old 11-20-05, 10:53 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I presume you're including YOURSELF in that batch, Syd? 'Cause I'm seeing this issue clearly!
Did you read Syd's post or am I misunderstanding you Far?
Old 11-20-05, 11:43 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by trayer350
I am alone, apparently, in my view, but it sounds, to me, like the bike is too tall for you.
I agree. The standover is is too tall, but maybe that doesn't matter...I don't recall the last time I stood over my bike with both feet flat on the ground. But the leg extension in pedalling is bad. You shouldn't have to go with cranks that might not fit you, to compensate for a too-tall bike
Old 11-20-05, 12:28 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bigger bike is more comfy, but don't go to the extream.
Old 11-20-05, 01:05 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
This fit issue is simple: the Miyita is too small and the Giant is too large. Sounds like the OP should pony up some duckets and get a frame that fits. I'd rather ride a Nashbar/Fetish/generic POS frame that fits rather than something that doesn't.
Old 11-20-05, 01:16 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldspark
Did you read Syd's post or am I misunderstanding you Far?
Sydney and I seem to agree that the OP's "large" frame is too large. Syd and I seem to disagree about the priority of standover height in the priorities of fit.

I've seen posters (particularly here on the Road Cycling forum) claim that standover height does not matter at all and that only the pedal/seat/bars triangle matters. I call such posters the "fit morons." A "touch" of the top tube to the crotch is somewhat iffy, but within the parameters of acceptable if a rider is willing to take the risk. But when the top tube is jammed into the crotch, the rider is on an accident waiting to happen.

There is a prima facie case that before any other fit considerations, a safe stand over height must be selected. Syd can accuse me of carpet smoking all he wants, but on this point there can be no debate. Safety uber alles!
Old 11-20-05, 01:25 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike's too tall if your pedal stroke goes too low. My commuter is several cm too high in the standover, but exceedingly comfortable once i'm on it, so I consider standover height to mean almost nothing, as long as you can mount and dismount safely.
Old 11-20-05, 01:32 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
to me it sounds like a simple stem swap. a 70mm stem is pretty stubby. i'd stick a 110mm on, maybe with a bit more rise, and see how it feels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.