Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Very disappointed with Campy Centaur

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Very disappointed with Campy Centaur

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 09:54 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tinrobot
Shoulda bought Suntour

(someone had to say it)
Well you know that old cheap stuff, I only got 145,000 miles on my Suntour Superbe bottom bracket, that Suntour crap just doesn't last long!!
Old 11-19-05, 10:09 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by froze
Well you know that old cheap stuff, I only got 145,000 miles on my Suntour Superbe bottom bracket, that Suntour crap just doesn't last long!!
84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe
I just did the math on that, you have an average of 6904 miles per year for 21 years on one bike?!?!?!

impressive!
Old 11-19-05, 11:23 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
I just did the math on that, you have an average of 6904 miles per year for 21 years on one bike?!?!?!

impressive!
Your math is quite good. When I raced the bike I averaged 12,000 miles a year for first 5 years of the bikes life beginning in early 84, so thats about 60,000 miles. Then for the next 3 years I was burned out after racing for 15 years so I stopped riding all together! So for 3 years from early 89 to end of 91 I did 0 miles. Then I resummed riding again although this time not competitively and I average 8,000 miles a year starting in early 92 until late 99 (8 years) for about a total of 64,000mi. Then life got too busy and had to cut it down to about 5,000 miles which I've been doing since 2000; so for the last 5 years the totals would be about 25,000. if you add those miles you get 149,000 miles which is about close to what I said considering that in 2003 my miles dropped that year to about 3,000 due to contacting Epstein Bar virus; and last winter I was only at 3500 due to not riding much in the winter outdoors and instead riding a trainer with a mtb bike on it (this winter I been using the Trek 660 on the trainer). Since these miles are rounded (I use to have all the records on this mileage business because I had all the receipts for tires as well as computer mileages recorded when batteries died that would jive with each other-I think my wife secretly threw that stuff away when we moved from California to Indiana in 2004) there could be a up to a 5,000 mile error either way!
Old 11-20-05, 01:02 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Figaro
That's putting it kindly. I like the smooth shifting and great looks of the Centaur gruppo. However, after only about 7,000 miles, the bottom bracket is sounding its death rattle. I'll change it when the noise becomes unbearable. Back in early October, I had to overhaul the right ergolever and change the "g-springs" (a mere $9 each). This stuff is too delicate for what it costs.
I'll resist the urge to say what I really think. First, 7,000 miles on a ACH or SCH Campy BB is a lot. The newer Centaur black BB has 3 sealed bearings like a Chorus and should last a lot longer. How can you complain about $27 for springs. If it were a Shimano you would have to buy a new shifter. I seem to remember that they cost a whole lot more than the price of 3 springs. What you might want to do is to have the frame prepped by a shop. Thread the BB shell and face it too. That is a one time charge. Buy the new black Centaur BB and make sure it is torqued down properly. It should last a very long time. I just installed one and it is great.

Tim
Old 11-20-05, 02:32 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
7000 miles on one square taper bottom bracket? That's more than double the average lifespan of a Shimano square taper BB... ask any LBS mechanic.
My square-tapered Shimano A550 bb gave me 20,000 miles. It has been retired in excellent condition. Retired on ly because that bike required a new crankset and I had to switch to splined.
Old 11-20-05, 02:36 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeegy200
Go buy a replacement and consider yourself fortunate to be able to ride that much.
What manipulative, sanctimonious crap.
Old 11-20-05, 02:39 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by galen_52657
7000 miles on that BB aint to shabby.
You say that because it hasn't happened to you.
Old 11-20-05, 02:41 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Either the poster had really bad luck or he's pretty hard on equipment.
My fault, I guess. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry!
Old 11-20-05, 05:44 AM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
7,000 miles is a lot? Did I read that correctly? That means every other time I buy a set of tires I should expect to replace the bottom bracket? Does any of that make sense to any of you? Is this the state of quality I can expect from new stuff? So let's see; buy a new bike for $2500, every time you replace your tires you have to replace your chain and gear cluster, every other time you replace your tires you have to replace your chain, gear cluster and bottom bracket!

Either people out there don't know how to care for their stuff or component manufactures are making trash. If it's the latter then I'll be dam if I ever buy a newer bike! But personally, I think it's the former-people don't know how to care for their stuff.
Old 11-20-05, 10:30 AM
zaphodbeeblebro
x

Bikes: inbred, GT, dean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so, some little springs that cost $9-15 to replace and what is admittedly not a very good bottom bracket crapped out at 7000 miles? do youself a favor, spend $50 and get a decent bottom bracket:
https://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=414

replace the springs and keep riding. So, every 7000 miles you spend $60 on your components? not too bad.

Also, as for shimano bottom brackets, just replaced the bb on my mtn bike, un72 had approximately 10000 miles on it after 7 years on my mtn bike, still spun fairly smoothly....Mike Curiak, if you dont know who that is, google great divide race 2004, see what type of bb he used for that race (hardest mtn bike race in the world)
Old 11-20-05, 11:34 AM
toomanybikes

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by froze
Bingo - I have NEVER worn out a bottom bracket.

I use cup and cone barckets with loose balls - open them clean them and re-pack them.

They turn smoother, they have less resistance and they last forever.
Old 11-20-05, 11:55 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by toomanybikes

I use cup and cone barckets with loose balls - open them clean them and re-pack them.

...as long as you don't get water in there which leads to rust and pitting of the races. Also, R&R'ing the cranks causes the square taper hole in the cranks to spread which eventually leads to looseness. Not an issue if one is puttering about, but not an ideal situation for a heavier rider and/or a rider that sprints a lot.
Old 11-20-05, 12:37 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Make sure you do it in a timely manner.Even cups with 'seals' at the spindle aren't water tight, and I have pulled more cup and ball BB that were trash due to rust and pitting than even the cheapest cartridge type.
Old 11-20-05, 02:16 PM
toomanybikes

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have been doing it for thirty years. Never had one pit or rust. And I have never had the cranks wear out, go loose or otherwise be damaged.

I guess the assumption is that I must not know what I'm doing.

Service regularly, use good quality grease and noproblems have ever surfaced.

Of course, now that Ihave been doubly warned I can expect the cranks and axles to fail immediately?
Old 11-20-05, 03:10 PM
pigmode
works for truffles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, now that Ihave been doubly warned I can expect the cranks and axles to fail immediately?
Yup.

I used to be a clean and service guy as well, but now I embrace the concept of the sealed throw-away. Makes life more simple and leaves time for other stuff, since service interval is usually shorter than replacement interval.
Old 11-20-05, 06:44 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
7000 miles is about twice what I get from BBs, and better than what you would get from a shimano hollow axle BB-they have tiny bearings. You can get parts that last longer, but then you'd be *****ing about how heavy they were. If you want to last longer, replace with a external bearing BB.

Old 11-21-05, 03:56 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I love the cup and ball brackets and was alway concientious about maintenance when I was racing, but it's still possible wear a bracket set out in one race with some poor weather, bad and muddy roads and a bit of bad luck.
Old 11-23-05, 10:24 PM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I have been doing it for thirty years. Never had one pit or rust. And I have never had the cranks wear out, go loose or otherwise be damaged.

I guess the assumption is that I must not know what I'm doing.

Service regularly, use good quality grease and noproblems have ever surfaced.

I can tell you and I don't know what we're doing. I mean mine have never rusted or pitted either after 145,000 miles, I must be doing something wrong.

And then the comment about the cranks being heavy if they used larger ball bearings instead of the small ones Shimano (actually Shamano) uses? "You can get parts that last longer, but then you'd be *****ing about how heavy they were." Really? How much more heavy could we be talking about? maybe 25grms more for better bearings that will last far longer. Is 25grms that obscene? Dam, I don't know if I can bear moving another 25grms of weight.
Old 11-23-05, 10:46 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We can all complain about one part or another. Your beef is with the bottom bracket life, specifically that found in an AC-H bottom bracket like the one in the left of the picture.

So? Campagnolo addresses the problem and updates the Centaur BB to that in the right of the picture (black). Similar to Chorus BBs of late, while the Chorus BB is closer to Record models. Such is the nature of production.

Provided you get the right spindle length, you can usually upgrade to a better model. It isn't uncommon for 105 users to roll with an Ultegra BB. Doesn't mean the rest of the 105 group isn't a solid performer.
Old 11-23-05, 11:17 PM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Figaro
However, after only about 7,000 miles,

What is that in Dog Years?
Old 11-24-05, 12:09 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even if my BB only lasted 7000mi, you can buy Veloce and Centaur BB's from ProBikeKit for $15-$18 a piece. It honestly wouldn't bother me to change out a BB once every year or two of it was only $15. I spend that much at Starbucks every week just on Mochas.
Old 11-24-05, 07:33 AM
froze
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In light of all the comments about how short lived bottom brackets are these days, I third the Phil Wood bottom brackets. I knew a person that toured on Phil Woods bottom brackets and hubs and he had more miles on that stuff then I do on my Suntour!!! I would rather pay a bit more now and keep it for a long time then to keep paying for replacing the cheap crap over and over and over because eventually your going to pay for what it cost to get a Phil Woods anyways. So to say you spend the amount of what it cost for a bottom bracket a week on coffee is an ignorant comment. Wait till your "cheap" bottom bracket breaks while riding 50 miles from home!

Last edited by froze; 11-24-05 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-24-05, 02:34 PM
mellowdave
Красный Октябрь

Bikes: Kona Major Jake - CX/Gravel Kona Jake The Snake - Commuter, Pinarello Galileo - RoadieAF, Niner Air 9 - HT MTB.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
geee freakin whiz.

Want a cookie?

of course, since youre such a "serious" rider, you prolly cant eat one...
Old 11-24-05, 04:50 PM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowdave
geee freakin whiz.

Want a cookie?

of course, since youre such a "serious" rider, you prolly cant eat one...

Angery much?
Old 11-24-05, 05:01 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvish Legion
Angery much?
That's what I said.

Eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.