Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame pump location dilemma

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 10:52 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Yet another Dilemma for all the good folks of the Classic and Vintage forum. I'm debating getting a frame pump to mount on the Barracuda Mk.I as a finishing touch, and of course handy for those pesky flats. But with that idea comes the dilemma. The frame doesn't have a pump peg on the backside of the headtube to put the pump along the top tube, and I don't want to hide the Golden Arrow engraving on the front derailleur by putting the pump vertically along the seat tube.

Suggestions? or at the very least something to debate on a slow Monday morning.
Old 11-21-05, 11:12 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clamp on pump peg? I've seen some vintage ones that are pretty elegant & discrete.

Other than that I don't know what other options you have. Besides having one brazed on, that is.
Old 11-21-05, 12:21 PM
toomanybikes

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a blue zip tie and fasten it around the head tube, the "clamp" part of the zip tie works pretty well as a Peg for the Pump.

Alternatively, I can't remember how much clearance you have at the back wheel on this bike but I have one bike where my pump is mounted behind/beside the seat tube; clamped between the chain stay and the seat stay.
Old 11-21-05, 01:38 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Thinking, since this is quite a large frame (60cm) that I could get one of the clamp on pump pins that I routinely see around ebay, put it on the seat tube above where the front derailleur clamp is. With a shorter pump (50-54cm ish) I can put the pump along the upper part of the seattube - still leaving the derailleur clamp's engraving visable. This would mean putting the head of the pump against the top tube and the handle end in the clip's cupped end. Guess that's the best choice thus far that I've come up with.
Old 11-21-05, 02:16 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Thinking, since this is quite a large frame (60cm) that I could get one of the clamp on pump pins that I routinely see around ebay, put it on the seat tube above where the front derailleur clamp is. With a shorter pump (50-54cm ish) I can put the pump along the upper part of the seattube - still leaving the derailleur clamp's engraving visable. This would mean putting the head of the pump against the top tube and the handle end in the clip's cupped end. Guess that's the best choice thus far that I've come up with.
That could work. I'm not sure if they even make these or not, but perhaps there is a clip you could mount to the top tube, forward of your lettering, that would grasp the sides of your pump - something the pump could snap into.
Old 11-21-05, 02:23 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by USAZorro
That could work. I'm not sure if they even make these or not, but perhaps there is a clip you could mount to the top tube, forward of your lettering, that would grasp the sides of your pump - something the pump could snap into.
I thought I'd found something like that but ended up being not quite right.

This is what I've found most of: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and this: https://cgi.ebay.com/CAMPAGNOLO-Pump-...QQcmdZViewItem

(The second I'm not quite sure what its intent is...)
Old 11-21-05, 02:57 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you're interested, I think Huret made a clamp on pin style pump peg as opposed to the Campagnolo bonnet style. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few on Ebay.

Edit: What I was thinking of looks just like the second link in your post. Maybe it was Campagnolo & not Huret after all.
Old 11-21-05, 03:14 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Clamp-on pegs (even non-metallic one's) will damage and mar your fresh paint. Get a Topeak pump that mounts on the water bottle bosses. That's what I did with my freshly painted Mondia. Looks great, works great, and doesn't touch the paint.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-21-05, 03:27 PM
Vo2min

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about mounting the frame pump along the left seat stay, between the top tube/seatpost junction and the seat stay/chainstay junction? I found a picture of this on roadbikerider.com but the file was too large to attach.
Old 11-21-05, 04:03 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I've got a toppeak for my mtb that I had been putting in the straps of my camelbak when I ride the roadie. The frame pump idea was mostly as a finishing touch on the vintage spec of the bike, but suppose you're right that a more modern pump mount would be more effective and less likely to damage the paint. I'll keep mulling things over in the back of my head for a while. No use jumping to a conclusion before thinking it through.
Old 11-21-05, 09:48 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
You can always toss a co2 thingie in your wedge pack. Don't take a chance with the paint, especially with all the effort you've put in.

S. J. Perelman
Old 11-21-05, 10:14 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Three votes now for the rear seatstay. I put 'em there if 1. I have a pump that's long enough, and 2. there's no pump peg. I've had one on a Trek for two years now without bouncing out. The only drawback that I can see is that you can't get to it to fend off feral dogs (or feral women, if you are TheOtherGuy).
Old 11-21-05, 11:05 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Vo2min
How about mounting the frame pump along the left seat stay, between the top tube/seatpost junction and the seat stay/chainstay junction? I found a picture of this on roadbikerider.com but the file was too large to attach.
A variation on this is to align your quick release lever parallel or close to parallel to the seat stay. The head nestles nicely a the seattube/stay junction and the handle end, which usually has a dimple for a peg, sits on the end of the quick release lever. Pic attached that sort of shows it.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-22-05, 02:52 PM
fsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As per CV-6...I use a Zefal HPX #3 on a 61cm frame. Toured that way and did not loose the pump. Need to put something around the handle to barrel junction though...my pump caught a lot of mud and filth. (touring in monsoon...some off roading as well...the handle is downward in this configuration and it is sort of cup shaped)