Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sora RD-R3000-GS with 36T large sprocket?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 04:46 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Greetings,

I am interested in hearing from anyone with actual experience using a Shimano Sora RD-R3000-GS 9-speed "medium" cage RD with a 36T large sprocket. Shimano's maximum recommended large sprocket for this RD is 34T. I have a 48/32 chainrings (with Sora shifters and FD) and I *think* installing an 11-36 cassette will work OK but would like to hear success - or failure - stories from those who have done it.

I realize that:
- Shimano is widely thought to have slightly conservative stated limits
- I will need to replace the chain
- an Alivio MTB RD should work (same pull ratio, 36T max large cog)
- I may have to adjust the B-limit some

Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-24, 05:08 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I apologize for not actually answering your question. But - I've gone to 36t on two different derailleurs that were spec'd for 34t and they both worked just fine. In fact, I didn't even have to use a longer chain (I had sized the chain originally on the 34t so that it was as long as possible rather than as short as possible).

I hope and expect you'll get actual experience replies. But even so, i recommend you just try it. Because it can be that individual bikes may differ in how this might work. It will cost you nothing other than the cassette to try it, maybe a chain as a second potential cost (which you can just save for future use if it doesn't work).
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-09-24, 05:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The long and short of it is probably. But dropout length of the particular bike does impact whether it will “absolutely” work.

Some people need to use a longer B screw to squeeze out a larger max cog. Worst case is a RoadLink, but I doubt you will need it.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-09-24, 05:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
It's always a bit of a crap shoot.
Shimano tends to be conservative because different bike Manfs. may have a slightly different/out of spec RDER hanger geometry and so Shimano gives "some" leeway.
You might be one of the unlucky ones.

EDIT-
How come nobody ever says SRAM.....
Old 02-09-24, 05:46 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Being that the big ring is 48 tooth, I think it will likely be fine. I am using a 6700 short cage RD with 6750 crank that has a 48-36 rings. I believe that derailleur's stated limit is 28. I have run 11-34 and 36 with no issues. When on the 46 tooth ring, I can still get the chain onto the 34 tooth cog, but it does not run well. If I added a link to the chain, it would probably run better, but no need to do that. As others stated, you have to try it to find out for sure.
Old 02-09-24, 06:37 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Greetings,

I am interested in hearing from anyone with actual experience using a Shimano Sora RD-R3000-GS 9-speed "medium" cage RD with a 36T large sprocket. Shimano's maximum recommended large sprocket for this RD is 34T. I have a 48/32 chainrings (with Sora shifters and FD) and I *think* installing an 11-36 cassette will work OK but would like to hear success - or failure - stories from those who have done it.

I realize that:
- Shimano is widely thought to have slightly conservative stated limits
- I will need to replace the chain
- an Alivio MTB RD should work (same pull ratio, 36T max large cog)
- I may have to adjust the B-limit some

Many thanks in advance.
Oh, geez. 34T to 36T is mere 6% beyond spec. I've pushed 10% beyond spec (e.g. 42T to 46T) sans problems. I can't see why you haven't tried it already. Do it.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 02-09-24 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-09-24, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's always a bit of a crap shoot.
Shimano tends to be conservative because different bike Manfs. may have a slightly different/out of spec RDER hanger geometry and so Shimano gives "some" leeway.
You might be one of the unlucky ones.

EDIT-
How come nobody ever says SRAM.....
SRAM at least on the AXS level couldn't handle a 11-44 cassette on their GX AXS derailleur very frustrating and expensive. Apparently for that even taking out the B-Limit entirely wouldn't get it close enough to shift correctly and we tried everything we could and no luck. Put the 11-50 on there and it shifts perfectly (or well enough still need to replace the chain with something a tad longer but it goes into all the gears like it should.
Old 02-19-24, 06:41 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

epilogue

Posting for posterity in case someone else has the same question...

I installed the 36t cassette and a new properly-sized chain. The RD did accommodate cassette - although I did have to tighten the B-limit screw nearly all the way in.

The bike shifts very well on the stand. I have not had a chance to ride it yet but based on what I have seen so far I don't expect any problems.

Thanks all.
Likes For HMJ:
Old 02-19-24, 07:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
Posting for posterity in case someone else has the same question...

I installed the 36t cassette and a new properly-sized chain. The RD did accommodate cassette - although I did have to tighten the B-limit screw nearly all the way in.

The bike shifts very well on the stand. I have not had a chance to ride it yet but based on what I have seen so far I don't expect any problems.

Thanks all.
You can get a longer screw if you need to. I typically get a socket (allen) head cap screw, I think 4mm, at Ace Hardware. Take the old one out and match the thread.

Even if I don’t need a longer one, I sometimes replace it because I hate the having to use a screwdriver on them; especially after they have been gunked up.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-19-24 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-20-24, 05:18 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Ace is great!

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You can get a longer screw if you need to. I typically get a socket (allen) head cap screw, I think 4mm, at Ace Hardware. Take the old one out and match the thread.

Even if I don’t need a longer one, I sometimes replace it because I hate the having to use a screwdriver on them; especially after they have been gunked up.

John
Yeah: I have an Ace Hardware location about 3 miles from my house. They have an entire aisle dedicated to loose hardware: screws, washers, bolts, etc. - and it has saved my bacon many times when working on bikes and other projects. Sure, you might pay $0.59 for one screw...but it is SO worth it
Likes For HMJ: