Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using a MTB Visor Helmet for Road Touring

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 11:29 PM
Kuroi

Bikes: Kona Sutra (2023)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. Just wondering if anyone has experience with using a MTB style helmet with sun visor (e.g. Giro Fixture) for road touring and whether it collects too much wind or it is hard to see when you are low on the handle bars. I do a reasonable amount of single or multi day road tours on a Kona Sutra with panniers. My handlebars are classic road bike 'curl around and down' handle bars, not straight bar. I ride 95% of the time holding the brake/gear grips. I rarely hit 60Kmh (37Mph) unless at top speed due to gearing maxing out about there. Probably average 22Kmh (14Mph) over the day, but around 30Kmh on a flat road when loaded up. I say all that because I don't think wind is a huge problem with a visor as I go fairly slow, but wonder about seeing out when low on the handlebars with the visor, and prefer not to flip the visor each time I ride the handlebars low.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with a visor style helmet in similar circumstances to me and if there are issues. Also if so, any suggestions on helmets. Or if you tour and really love your helmet let me know whether it is road or MTB.

I want to try and get a visor style helmet if possible due to the sunscreen benefits but looking to be sure it actually works.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kuroi; 03-03-24 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 12:13 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Plenty of people do it (for similar reasons as you state) and are fine with it. Only one way to find out if you like it or not.
Old 03-04-24, 02:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Plenty of people do it (for similar reasons as you state) and are fine with it. Only one way to find out if you like it or not.
I will add that, IME, the visors do almost nothing but catch air. I am bald and, when riding, always have a hat on my head, usually a cycling cap with the short brim. The cap is easily moved to get the position needed at the time.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-04-24, 02:19 AM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Besides commuting, I go on 100-150km rides and multiple day tours with panniers (tent, stove, etc) and I don't want to imagine myself on those rides without a visor. I haven't found a single bad side of having a visor, while on the other hand it saves me from the low morning and evening sun. Also, you know that visors can be removed and installed in seconds, right?
The only reasoning I have heard against having a visor is based on general appearance, as an MTB helmet is not a road bike helmet... something along those lines. Now, whether the visor affects aerodynamics I wouldn't know as there is nothing on me or my bicycle that is chosen, bought or set up with aerodynamics in mind. The visor has much less influence on my speed than how much I enjoyed my morning coffee.
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-04-24, 02:23 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
https://dabrim.com/
Old 03-04-24, 06:04 AM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
I toured the length and width of South Korea with the Giro Fixture. The visor is deep and helps block the sun quite well. The visor does come off, is removable if it catches too much wind at high road speeds.
Old 03-04-24, 08:27 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I would use a cycling cap. I personally hate visors but the reason for the cycling cap is it can give you that bit of visor in a washable package meaning it will help keep your helmet a little cleaner and fresher and be way more adjustable and can also help keep you cooler and protect against some sun.

My ideal helmet is the lightest one from a known and trusted manufacturer. A lightweight helmet such as my old Lazer Z1 really is comfortable on the head and sometimes you forget it is there until you need it and when touring comfort is key. Plus they usually have better ventilation and maybe some aerodynamic benefits (though about the aero I don't care-o).

With cycling caps you can get a ton of variations for different colors or designs or materials. I generally go for something a bit more moisture wicking but sometimes in the summer I use a cotton cap and soak it in some cool water to keep my head feeling fresh and breezy.
Old 03-04-24, 08:33 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
The visor does not catch enough wind to matter. The visor is helpful in the sun. It's really helpful in the rain.
Likes For woodway:
Old 03-04-24, 08:56 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I think there was a cyclist from Britain that came from an MTB background who wore an MTB helmet and shoes during an olympic road event several years ago.

Both of my helmets have visors.
Old 03-04-24, 10:06 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

the visor on the Giro Fixture does not appear to be too large / prominent or sit up too high as the visors do on many other off road helmets - almost sits between the size / location of a Giro Register and a Specialized Tactic (for example)

pics above of the Fixture (top) and Tactic (bottom)
Old 03-04-24, 10:28 AM
Chain smoker

Bikes: 07 Raleigh supercourse, 04 Specialized epic MB, Surly 1x1, Recycled Recumbents Mach 2, 63 jc Higgins racer single speed, early 60’s Armstrong roadster, KHS tandem electric conversion, GT mb electric city bike conversion.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Leave it on when you need it, pop it off when you don’t. You can wear a cycling cap under it if you want too. The MTB helmet at least gives you the option.
Old 03-04-24, 10:39 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I used to buy Specialized helmets, lower tier price point, and they came with a removable visor. The only drawback I could see was you would just not look "cool" with a visor if you are on a road bike. I choose to look cool. Never missed the visor. I have tried cycling caps under my helmet and have found that unless the miniature bill is flipped up it really obscures my vision, although it does somewhat help with sweat mitigation, keeping it out of my eyes. For me good sunglasses do more than a visor.
Old 03-04-24, 11:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I had a helmet with a visor and used it for road cycling when I started getting back into cycling. However as I began to spend more time in the drops and for longer rides, I found that the visor limited my forward vision down the road and I had to crane my head and neck up to see adequately in front of me. So that made for a lot of neck and shoulder pain.

Getting rid of the visor helped me not have to lift my head as much to see and therefore helped greatly with the neck and shoulder pain.

Otherwise, I don't think many are going to notice if you have a visor or not. Or if they do, they won't really care. Sure, a friend might poke fun at you, but that's what friends do. Otherwise there'd be less to joke and talk about.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-04-24 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-04-24, 12:10 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Forget everything else, there's only one thing that matters when it comes to the visor question. How upright is your bike posture?

Upright = visor good
Bent over = visor blocks your view, neck pain incoming

That's why mountain bike helmets more frequently have visors. Mountain bike posture is more upright than road posture. Furthermore, road helmets don't need visors, because you're so bent over, that even the lip of the helmet itself is more than enough to shield your eyes from the sun and rain.

You average 30 km/h on the flat, while riding solo carrying panniers? That's not slow. That's unbelievably fast for a bike with panniers. Have you considered racing?

Last edited by Yan; 03-04-24 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 01:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Forget everything else, there's only one thing that matters when it comes to the visor question. How upright is your bike posture?
I would say also consider your peripheral vision and neck flexibility.
Old 03-04-24, 01:06 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 173 Posts
My Bell mtn helmet has an adjustable visor that clicks into one of three positions, so riding the drops vision is not impacted.
Tend to use it in winter to partially give me a sunblock with it so low on the horizon. It's not enough but does help, depending on time of day and my heading.
In summer I opt for a lighter more ventilated road helmet.
Old 03-04-24, 01:16 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I like to see any obstacles in the road ahead as a I ride. Until recently I needed to cut away the foam liner of my bike helmets so I could see ahead with my head down and pedaling. I was delighted when I got the Bell Z20 MIPS helmet as it did not obstruct my view of the road.

I have a Fox Racing Speedframe Pro mountain bike helmet that I use on the trails as on my mountain bikes I am sitting relatively upright for the most part. The visor is to block the sun but also to provide some added (hopefully) protection from branches.
Old 03-04-24, 03:29 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I had a helmet with a visor and used it for road cycling when I started getting back into cycling. However as I began to spend more time in the drops and for longer rides, I found that the visor limited my forward vision down the road and I had to crane my head and neck up to see adequately in front of me. So that made for a lot of neck and shoulder pain.

Getting rid of the visor helped me not have to lift my head as much to see and therefore helped greatly with the neck and shoulder pain.
My experience is very similar to yours. I found that I could not use a mountain bike helmet with visor when I road my road bike. I did purchase a road helmet which really helped. The mountain bike helmet was ok after I removed the visor but I really just wanted an excuse to buy a new helmet!