Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How far can I ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How far can I ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 04:10 AM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
How far can I ride?

There is a local metric century coming up, my best day so far has been 30 miles @11 mph. Normal day is 10 to 20 miles. Am I ready for 62?
Likes For hevysrf:
Old 08-23-23, 05:17 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Only you can answer that question from a health standpoint but, given the information you have given, the task sound reasonable. Get a good nights sleep, fuel up properly and stay hydrated. Can you tolerate you bike saddle for that long. You will likely be slower than you normal pace towards the end.
Old 08-23-23, 05:25 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
What is the terrain compared to where you typically ride?

How did you feel after the 30?

Are you mentally ready for 6+ hours in the saddle?
Old 08-23-23, 05:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
There is a local metric century coming up, my best day so far has been 30 miles @11 mph. Normal day is 10 to 20 miles. Am I ready for 62?
That depends on the “coming up” part. If the ride is this Sunday, it might be difficult. If you have a few weeks, that’s much better. There are all kinds of training guides out there for centuries (100 miles) but they can easily be applied to metric centuries as well. This one isn’t too bad. Go ahead and start with week 1 but you should be about ready by week 6. If you don’t have that much time, drop into the training plan at a time that is convenient to you. You are probably at week 3 or even 4 anyway.

One word of caution: event day you will probably want to go faster than your normal pace. Try to do some training before hand to increase your speed. The article above links to Garmin which has a bit more detail on how to ride the schedule laced out by Cache Gran Fondo website.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-23-23 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-23-23, 06:00 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I remember training for a marathon decades ago. I had one 22 mile training run and several 10-15 mile runs plus 75 miles per week. The day of the event was cold and with rain. I did well until mile 22. The course took a turn for which was not on the map which messed with my head. I did finish.
Old 08-23-23, 06:25 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Not a good plan based on your history especially given the time of the year as most parts of the US are under extreme heat conditions. Recommend getting training rides of 40..50 miles before attempting a mCentury.
This would be 5+ hours riding at your pace and reads like you have never surpassed 3 hours.
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-23-23, 06:29 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
it's the butt, hands, shoulders, neck that suffer the most with me. My legs, lungs and heart are always capable of doubling my recent ride distance. As someone else said, elevation matters too.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 08-23-23, 08:36 AM
hevysrf

I ride mostly flat terrain, and the century is pretty flat also. If I do a 30, I don't really feel like another 30, but I might feel different if it was the middle of a ride.

Usually take an off day after a big ride.
Old 08-23-23, 08:44 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I ride mostly flat terrain, and the century is pretty flat also. If I do a 30, I don't really feel like another 30, but I might feel different if it was the middle of a ride.

stretch your next ride out to 40 miles and see how you feel.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-23-23, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts

In addition to using a training guide, do some strategic thinking to make the task seem less impossible. You can easily do 10 miles. It’s nothing. Think of the longer rides as just a series of 10 mile rides.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-23-23, 08:52 AM
hevysrf

Originally Posted by jadmt

Getting on my bike now.
Likes For hevysrf:
Old 08-23-23, 08:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Most people can ride their current weekly mileage in one day. Success however will depend on nutrition and hydration during that ride. This number only works up to maybe 150. Above that weekly mileage, the sky's the limit.
Old 08-23-23, 08:59 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
If you're riding at a comfortable pace stretching out to a metric should be possible physically. I usually ride about 30 miles but can double that with little problem. But the mental aspect of spending that much time on the bike can pose a greater challenge than the physical component.
Old 08-23-23, 09:05 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
You definitely sound within shouting distance of this goal. If you decide to give it a go, taper for 3-4 days (light, easy spinning) and make sure you eat enough throughout the ride - do not wait until you are hungry.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-23-23, 06:41 PM
hevysrf

27 today, Think I might be able to do the metric, but not sure I would enjoy it.
Old 08-23-23, 07:01 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Most people can ride their current weekly mileage in one day...
I first heard this on BF years ago. I normally ride 100+ miles a week, but I ride every day, about 15-20 miles a day. I wanted to do a century, so gave it a try and had no problems, even though my typical ride is way short of a century.. So I've repeated this many times. You should be able to ride in a day the amount that you normally ride in a week.
Likes For Random11:
Old 08-23-23, 08:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I first heard this on BF years ago. I normally ride 100+ miles a week, but I ride every day, about 15-20 miles a day. I wanted to do a century, so gave it a try and had no problems, even though my typical ride is way short of a century.. So I've repeated this many times. You should be able to ride in a day the amount that you normally ride in a week.
I also read this somewhere years ago and have repeated it on BF a few times after proving it true for myself. There are all sorts of century training programs, but they all come down to this. Of course your daily rides should have similar or more climbing than the century.
Old 08-24-23, 08:13 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
There’s nothing that says you can’t get off the bike and stretch from time to time. When I’m doing a century I find that to be immensely beneficial and keeps me going. Also fueling along the way to keep your energy up. Do you have someone to ride with to keep you motivated?
Old 08-24-23, 09:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Getting on my bike now.
27 today, Think I might be able to do the metric, but not sure I would enjoy it.
r.e. bold 27 miles and not sure about 62 miles is not what I would be feeling good about.

I would forgo a 40 miler and instead set up and try for 45 miles because to complete your planned ride would mean 17 more miles and that extra would be a bear.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-24-23, 09:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Your speed is a tad on the slow side, but still you should do the ride and go as far as you can. Though I suspect you can make it the full distance if you don't ride at a all out pace that will use up all your energy. If there isn't a SAG time, then you can take as long as you want. If there is a SAG time, then they'll probably come by and pick you up.

No big deal either way whether you finish or not. Hopefully you get to socialize with some other cyclists. If possible, try to find a group that rides at your speed. Even a disorganized group riding in a bunch will save you a lot of watts and you'll go faster and further than you will solo.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-24-23, 09:52 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Do it.

You will probably find your wrists/shoulders get more work than you are used to. They will have a rest stop or two? Make sure you drink enough fluids.
Old 08-24-23, 03:23 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Hard to tell without knowing your weight, age and bike. Just get out and TRY harder. All you really need to do is move you legs for 5 hours. Enjoy the scenery and don't do any quackery like riding in the left track. Ride the outside of the shoulder if it's good pavement.
20 miles for me is the same effort as sitting on the couch.

I'm no athlete and 69, I have been doing all day rides for 20 years. So I do about 3 highway rides a month May to early Oct.
My city rides of 10 to 35 miles are just sightseeing really and only if it's not raining. There's short hills here that help, some are steep.
The last couple years I just didn't bother with the 60 mile warmup, LOL. Went 92 miles. Biggest problem was getting the inside arms sunburnt badly.
And getting cramps until I get the legs beefed up. The biggest effect on speed could be a SORE bum on long rides. Stand up often.

Last week I went 96 miles on Sunday and 103 miles on Wed., with 20 and 10 miles the 2 days between. Hardly any cramps the 103 miles in 11 hours. The steel roadster bike is 48 lbs with a SA 5w. Not the best advice of course, but a few times I have gone 60 miles to my turnaround town, with NO food break, just Gatorade. I always have a long lunch and an hour putter around before slogging back home. Otherwise I can get a stomach ache.
I never see anybody out there with me and hundreds of semi trucks. LOL. Use a MIRROR.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-25-23 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-24-23, 03:39 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
In addition to using a training guide, do some strategic thinking to make the task seem less impossible. You can easily do 10 miles. It’s nothing. Think of the longer rides as just a series of 10 mile rides.
That was the mindset I used in the Arizona Challenge 24-hour endurance ride (17,000+ ft climbing, total loop 325 miles). I didn't dwell on the entire ride, or I'd mentally collapse. Instead, it was "OK, let's get to Fountain Hills." "Now to the top of this climb." "Now the next climb." "OK, one more climb to Payson." "Let's go to Pine." "OK, just got to get to Strawberry and the top of the rim." "Whee! coast to Camp Verde!" and so on. Focusing on thinking about achieving the next few miles instead of the finish can make it mentally easier.
Old 08-24-23, 05:58 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
You can certainly complete the ride, but it might not be pleasant. At 13 years old I did my first century (100 miles) with very little preparation, and eating Easter candy for fuel. The latter 50 miles was unpleasant, and I threw up most of the chocolate I had eaten shortly after the finish.

Normally I try to get up to the 75% point before doing a full century, a 45 mile mile ride a few days before a metric century.
Old 08-25-23, 05:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I suspect you can do it, but I would try at least one 40 mile ride beforehand to see what happens beyond half distance. If that goes well then you should be fine on the big day. Pay attention to your hydration and nutrition, as these will be key to your fatigue on a longer ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.