Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Are helmet fit questions only allowed in the helmet thread?

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 10:53 AM
mara777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I see that there is a "helmet" thread in the "safety and advocacy" area. Is this the only area I am allowed to post a question about bike helmet fit/request for bike helmet recommendations?

I'm not sure whether anyone saw my question in the helmet thread because there was a separate conversation already taking place. Is there something I can or should do to increase the likelihood of receiving a response?
Old 04-29-23, 11:13 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Sometimes ya just post where you can and often things get kinda lost. Luckily the moderators can sometimes move a post over to minimize confusion...
Old 04-29-23, 11:19 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I would think general cycling forum would be good. But if there was going to be a topic that could be discussed in a certain thread, I'd think chain lube would rank higher than helmets.

Old 04-29-23, 12:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
...Is there something I can or should do to increase the likelihood of receiving a response?
Sorry mara777, I am a little confused too. Is the OP question about helmet fit? Or about quality of helmets?

I personally can't see spending hundreds of USD on a helmet. I would rather spend it on my bike. But I do always wear a helmet. I am sure a helmet has in fact saved my life at least once and it was a Bell-Walmart special I got for 24 USD.

As far as fit is concerned, that is another matter. Even the more expensive helmets are kinda roundish on my head too. The fit on bicycle helmets is not at all like motorcycle helmets. My solution has been to wear a Skull Cap, Helmet Liner, or Cycling Cap inside the helmet. They absorb my copious sweat and spare my helmet lining from stink and frequent washings. There are also all kinds of padding options you can take advantage of.

https://kavsports.com/

If ya can afford it, a KAV helmet would be the Cats Pajamas!

off net

Last edited by zandoval; 04-29-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 11:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I would think general cycling forum would be good. But if there was going to be a topic that could be discussed in a certain thread, I'd think chain lube would rank higher than helmets.
This. Just focus on fit concern and not “politics” of helmet mandates (or lack thereof).
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-30-23, 11:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I'd post it in the sub-forum that represents the type of riding you do. The General forum will get you answers from those that might only do one particular type of riding that you don't do. And the needs for a helmet are slightly different for their genre of riding. Also such threads eventually get down to just bickering. Especially in the General forum or even in the Advocacy and Safety forum.

Sometimes the conversation in topics about helmets devolves into stuff that is more in keeping with the Advocacy and Safety sub forum. Or the conversation just devolves into arguments. But when that happens the mod's will deal with it and move it or close the thread whichever is appropriate.

I'm not sure whether anyone saw my question in the helmet thread because there was a separate conversation already taking place. Is there something I can or should do to increase the likelihood of receiving a response?
Your experience in this is a example of of why I believe that all new questions should be ask in their own new thread. I virtually never go into the Helmet thread because it's just become bickering and I've already stated all I need to say there. So other's like me will never see your question. And it easily gets swallowed up by the continued jabs some members like to make to get in the last word for the never ending arguments.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-30-23 at 11:17 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-03-23, 12:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Something like fit will probably not be merged.
Likes For unterhausen: