Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Markleeville Death Ride start time ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 02:47 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

Hoping to find someone who’s actually done this ride. I’m watching past YouTube videos ( some as recent as 2022) where participants are starting as early as 3:45am yet the rules on the website state a 5am start.

Any knowledge on this?
Old 10-01-23, 04:05 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Hoping to find someone who’s actually done this ride. I’m watching past YouTube videos ( some as recent as 2022) where participants are starting as early as 3:45am yet the rules on the website state a 5am start.

Any knowledge on this?
I've done the ride, the "official" start time is pretty meaningless. I started at 04:30, but people were starting hours before that. I think they say 05:00 just to make CHP happy. If you start early, throw lights on your bike, or you run the risk of being ticketed. The 2023 event was ungodly hot (105° in Markleeville,) I wished I even started earlier than I did.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 10-01-23, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Usually for those that can't ride at a pace to get them back in time for the festivities that go on, most rides that aren't a race are okay with those that need to start earlier. Many are more strict about when the event is over and you must be off the course. Maybe their sanctioning source or other insurance requires that.

The way they word this makes me think they are somewhat okay with someone starting early.
The event officially starts at 5:00 am. Riders will be in a staggered start from that point forward. Any riders on the road before that time are riding at their own risk, and aid stations may not be open when you arrive.
https://deathride.com/f/rules-of-the-ride-road

People do what they want to do. So sure there are going to be some that do their own thing. If it's not bothering anyone then why worry? Or is it bothering you?

Last edited by Iride01; 10-01-23 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-02-23, 10:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I haven't done The Death Ride but plenty of friends have. Done a lot of other organized century type rides and there are always people who want to start as early as possible for whatever reason. I am not one of them.
Old 10-02-23, 12:16 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
That looks to be a well-crafted disclaimer / explanation. Riders starting early should not expect support or aid at times outside the official ride window, but are recognized as legally-operating road users taking reasonable steps to maximize their probability of being within the event window at the finish.

I've done several similar rides in my earlier days. If I did this type of ride these days, I might start the night before.
Likes For RCMoeur: