Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Doctor is wanting to ruin my riding this summer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Doctor is wanting to ruin my riding this summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-24, 05:48 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I have an old Schwinn airdyne in the basement
It's a good start.
Might get bored quickly

Hand pedal will at least get you outside... and good core strength
Old 02-24-24, 06:44 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I've swung pipe wrenches for nearly 40 years upper/core body strength isn't a problem. It's from hips down. The foot problems throws how I walk out of kilter and causes , ankles, knees and hips to hurt
Old 02-24-24, 07:17 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

And now people on marketplace are tempting me🤣 . Specialized rock hopper steel , rigid frame $20 . I have 9 bikes. Including a Hard Rock from that time and someone is waving this bike in front of me. And will be down part of the summer
🤣🥴😎
Old 02-24-24, 07:17 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I've swung pipe wrenches for nearly 40 years upper/core body strength isn't a problem. It's from hips down. The foot problems throws how I walk out of kilter and causes , ankles, knees and hips to hurt
thus, the sooner the better.
Foot problems wreck everything above it.

That's why yogies stress foot strength so much
Old 02-24-24, 07:23 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
Maybe a rephrasing is in order?
If it's not his last he may want to go ahead and get the foot fixed.
Old 02-25-24, 02:37 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
If I were in your situation, and I have been, though less seriously, I would seek out the nearest professional sports team, or Division I university athletic department and find out what orthopedic surgeon they use for feet. The surgeon will be top notch, and will be biased towards getting his or her patients back in the game.
Old 02-25-24, 03:21 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
If it needs to be done , then that’s it. The 10 weeks will go by quickly , I know from recent experience. My situation involved no choice in the matter. I was off the bike for about 10-12 weeks and , after 6 months, still recovering just a bit but riding the bike again. It was hard to be off my bike , missing an event that I had already paid for and looked forward to every year. I couldn’t even get in the car and drive up to be there.
Old 02-25-24, 03:58 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by Pratt
If I were in your situation, and I have been, though less seriously, I would seek out the nearest professional sports team, or Division I university athletic department and find out what orthopedic surgeon they use for feet. The surgeon will be top notch, and will be biased towards getting his or her patients back in the game.
I work at this hospital. We are where the sports teams go
Old 02-25-24, 05:47 PM
andydallas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had a broken toe (nothing as serious as what you have) and re-broke it by riding too soon, but after a few weeks off the bike the podiatrist agreed if I used flat pedals and keep the 'weight/'force' off of the toes, I could get back on the bike sooner. Of course right now I am not riding because of rotator cuff surgery,,,,
Old 02-25-24, 08:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
So is this summer going to be your last one?
My sentiments, if not the wording I'd have used. Getting better is more important than riding, even if only barely. Get the surgery and come back stronger next year. Maybe you can take up kayaking this summer?
Old 02-25-24, 10:40 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by andydallas
I had a broken toe (nothing as serious as what you have) and re-broke it by riding too soon, but after a few weeks off the bike the podiatrist agreed if I used flat pedals and keep the 'weight/'force' off of the toes, I could get back on the bike sooner. Of course right now I am not riding because of rotator cuff surgery,,,,
I've never used clip in pedals, but to get back to riding this past summer I switched to very wide pedals on the bikes I ride the most stiff sole shoes help too
Old 02-25-24, 11:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I had a much less serious foot surgery a few years back.

It was 6 weeks before I could get back to work. It was pretty sore for the first few weeks back but I eventually recovered.

I could ride fine pretty much as soon as I was cleared to go back to work. Maybe a bit sooner. A crash would have been terrible though.

I do a lot of rock climbing. I think it took me 3 or 4 years to finally get my foot to do what I wanted it to and it still isn’t as good as before. I mention this because it’s not as simple as just going back to normal. Your foot will never be the same, hopefully in a good way. If you’re on your feet all day, it might be a struggle to work another 3 years on it.
Old 02-26-24, 12:18 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
You are frustrated and venting as well as looking for sympathy. Yeah, I get it.

It’s not the doctor’s fault you need the procedure. You could delay it but have admitted already that it’s extremely painful and need the operation but it’s not the doctor’s fault.

Old 02-26-24, 02:09 AM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I had a much less serious foot surgery a few years back.

It was 6 weeks before I could get back to work. It was pretty sore for the first few weeks back but I eventually recovered.

I could ride fine pretty much as soon as I was cleared to go back to work. Maybe a bit sooner. A crash would have been terrible though.

I do a lot of rock climbing. I think it took me 3 or 4 years to finally get my foot to do what I wanted it to and it still isn’t as good as before. I mention this because it’s not as simple as just going back to normal. Your foot will never be the same, hopefully in a good way. If you’re on your feet all day, it might be a struggle to work another 3 years on it.
I have had the right done took until last summer to get back to riding. It's part of the reason for the whine . My left has s just started hurting bad the past few months

Originally Posted by rsbob
You are frustrated and venting as well as looking for sympathy. Yeah, I get it.

It’s not the doctor’s fault you need the procedure. You could delay it but have admitted already that it’s extremely painful and need the operation but it’s not the doctor’s fault.
That is mostly tongue in cheek. And yes whining about I just got back to riding. I work at the main hospital in this medical system. Our hospital is where they bring people no other place in the area can handle. Only thing I thought negative about the doctor ,was how casual he talks about breaking this bone and that bone etc. and really I expected most of it. My issues are a combination of bunions complicated by excess. bone deposits cause by gout/arthritis . I have it on both sides of my left foot

Last edited by plumberroy; 02-26-24 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-26-24, 02:25 AM
plumberroy

Actually it's supposed to be in the sixties today I want to take a short easy ride and go to the club range
Old 02-26-24, 03:57 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Had an appointment with my podiatrist Wednesday. He wants to break bones grind and install titanium plates in a couple of places on my right foot. With no weight on it for 8-10 weeks. That's going to curb my riding this summer probably will be in May or June
It's only 1 summer, better to get the work done now and heal up so you can enjoy next summer.
Old 02-26-24, 04:49 AM
frenchfry53

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this! I hope everything goes well for you and your wife. Its so frustrating when you're stressed out and can't bike.
Old 02-26-24, 07:38 AM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by Herzlos
It's only 1 summer, better to get the work done now and heal up so you can enjoy next summer.
I've had 2 surgeries on the right foot. The issues came on so slow that I didn't realize it until it was bad. I actually used my ride log to figure out when it started. My milage started plummeting in 2018 by 2020 I was not riding. Between COVID and 3 months off for surgery we ran on 80% income most of the year ( there were so few people hospitalized that they cut our hours 20% I get 80% short term disability ) they ended up taking more bone out in 2022 so I finally got back to riding this past summer . So I know it could be more than this summer. I'm 62 I don't have as many summers left as most of you
Old 02-26-24, 08:47 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I've had 2 surgeries on the right foot. The issues came on so slow that I didn't realize it until it was bad. I actually used my ride log to figure out when it started. My milage started plummeting in 2018 by 2020 I was not riding. Between COVID and 3 months off for surgery we ran on 80% income most of the year ( there were so few people hospitalized that they cut our hours 20% I get 80% short term disability ) they ended up taking more bone out in 2022 so I finally got back to riding this past summer . So I know it could be more than this summer. I'm 62 I don't have as many summers left as most of you
Wait till you're 80 and have to decide if a spine fusion is worth the time off
Old 02-26-24, 09:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
I have had the right done took until last summer to get back to riding. It's part of the reason for the whine . My left has s just started hurting bad the past few months

That is mostly tongue in cheek. And yes whining about I just got back to riding. I work at the main hospital in this medical system. Our hospital is where they bring people no other place in the area can handle. Only thing I thought negative about the doctor ,was how casual he talks about breaking this bone and that bone etc. and really I expected most of it. My issues are a combination of bunions complicated by excess. bone deposits cause by gout/arthritis . I have it on both sides of my left foot
Very sorry to hear that. Now you have my complete sympathy considering the nature of your procedures.

I too have a foot issue, and was hoping to have surgery back in December so that it wouldn’t disrupt a two trips planned early this year, but the surgeon decided to take December off, and I will be damned if I am going to sacrifice vacations or my summer, so will just live with it until next fall. I understand your frustration but luckily I can live with my relatively minor discomfort compared to yours. Best wishes.

Old 02-26-24, 07:19 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
I get the sentiment but I'm not one to wait. When I tore my meniscus in my right knee while running, I was told surgery was the best way to have me in good shape for later in life. I am thankfully still relatively young (mid-30's) so I head quickly and figured if needs to happen eventually, might as well be right now. I was warned that recovery time could be up to 6 weeks with the first 2 as no weight at all on the leg. I'm an avid running and cyclist so of course I wasn't thrilled but if the result was decades of being able to do both, I scheduled the soonest date I could. The work needed on the knee wound up being less than initially thought so recovery was much quicker but I was still off the bike for a couple of weeks and no running for an additional week on that. Because I jumped on getting the surgery, the surgeon said a lot of potential damage was avoided and that was a big factor in healing quickly and being able to get back to my regular life.

A friend I run with, coincidentally, got the same surgery as me two days before I got mine and we've been able to compare recovery times. He's 8 years older than me but just as fit and active. However, he suffered through I think a good year of pain before finally getting the surgery and paid the price. Damage had been done to the bone and required a good deal more work to fix it. Full recovery took 10 weeks and there was a lot of pain and swelling for a long time afterwards.

We both had our surgeries the first week of November 2023. I was cleared to run before December hit and my friend wasn't cleared to run until the middle of January. Friend is still struggling to get back up to speed. I am back up to full speed on both the bike and running.
Some food for thought.

Originally Posted by Camilo
Just brainstorming: I wonder if you could rig up a (good quality) recumbent tadpole trike to pedal with one foot? Yeah, now that I wrote it, it doesn't sound too helpful. I wish you good luck though. You gotta do what you gotta do and losing one bicycle season is not important in the big picgture.
I actually did that with my old Greenspeed recumbent trike back in spring of 2021 after getting in a motorcycle accident which resulted in surgery on my right knee. Couldn't bend it enough to ride for several weeks so I propped the foot up on a milk crate and just pedaled with the left. It at least got my heart rate up.

Last edited by Pantah; 02-27-24 at 11:11 AM.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 03-20-24, 07:51 PM
plumberroy

Update: I saw the podiatrist today it's going through the surgery scheduler and will happen in 3-4 weeks. It took my bike rack off the vehicle today 😞 mid July to August before I can ride again
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 03-20-24, 08:38 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I am sending Roy positive healing energy.

goodluck, be well.
Old 03-20-24, 10:21 PM
BATTLESTAR75

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Good luck with your surgery.