Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainstay paint removed by gaffer tape

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 10:36 PM
Kjlappy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Recently refurbished a 40 year old trek and temporarily put some gaffer tape on the drive side chainstay to protect from chain abrasion during commutes. The frame paint wasn't 10/10 to begin with but it was probably a 8-9/10. I only had it on for 3-4 months until I got around to buying some helicopter tape. I took off the gaffer tape a bit too quickly it seems and I removed a bit of paint from the chainstay. Thankfully it didn't come off in large pieces but rather in multiple small flakes. Obviously a bit bummed but recognize that these things are inevitable, especially with 40 year old paint. Before any rust could set in I covered with 1-2 layers of clear nail polish then placed the helicopter tape.

My question is would this be sufficient to prevent any of the bare metal from quickly rusting? I already sprayed rust stop within the most of the frame. Thank you in advance.

I've included some photos but it's hard to capture with photographs. The white line in the photos is just a light reflection.
​​​​​
Old 11-28-23, 01:58 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 339 Posts
Only 3-4 months?

I think you’ll be fine. Helicopter tape is pretty watertight. Could possibly have got touch up paint from Trek but after all this time might not have that colour.

Does it get left out in the rain at work?
Old 11-28-23, 03:09 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
Although helicopter tape does the job of protecting the paintwork, I still get stressed by the sound of the chain slapping against the stay so I've taken to using something like the Lizard Skins neoprene chainstay protector. I think the noise is probably worse with carbon frames since I don't recall noticing it when I regularly rode a steel frame. However, when I finally manage to get my 653 steel frame refurbished I plan to use a neoprene protector on that as well, now.
Old 11-28-23, 06:09 AM
Kjlappy

Originally Posted by choddo
Only 3-4 months?

I think you’ll be fine. Helicopter tape is pretty watertight. Could possibly have got touch up paint from Trek but after all this time might not have that colour.

Does it get left out in the rain at work?
Yep, just about 3-4. Bought the bike in June.

I looked online for matching paint but couldn't find anything. Some on this forum have found a grey nail polish that matches the paint pretty well but the chips aren't too noticable.

​The plan is to use the bike during nice weather days i.e. no rain or snow. At work the bike is left outside for ~ 10 hrs then is stored in my apartment the rest of the time.
Old 11-28-23, 06:11 AM
Kjlappy

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Although helicopter tape does the job of protecting the paintwork, I still get stressed by the sound of the chain slapping against the stay so I've taken to using something like the Lizard Skins neoprene chainstay protector. I think the noise is probably worse with carbon frames since I don't recall noticing it when I regularly rode a steel frame. However, when I finally manage to get my 653 steel frame refurbished I plan to use a neoprene protector on that as well, now.
This is good to know. I also have a carbon fiber road bike but the factory chainstay protector is still in good shape. Since I had leftover helicopter tape I also applied some to the road-facing aspect of the downtube to prevent any big chips from damaging the carbon.
Old 11-28-23, 11:14 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,946 Posts
did you let the nail polish cure before taping over it?
Old 11-28-23, 11:16 AM
Kjlappy

Originally Posted by Troul
did you let the nail polish cure before taping over it?
Yes I applied 2-3 layers over two days. Also apparently the stuff I used is both a base coat and top coat (Sally Hansen double duty, s/o to the GF)
Old 11-28-23, 11:18 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Kjlappy
Yes I applied 2-3 layers over two days. Also apparently the stuff I used is both a base coat and top coat (Sally Hansen double duty, s/o to the GF)
As long as it cured, it should be fine if you should need to later remove the tape. Most paints cure after 24 hours, dry/sets in less time.
Old 11-29-23, 07:43 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I’ve had this painful experience previously as well. Next time, use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive and it will peel with far less force. That’s my plan at least!
Likes For joejack951:
Old 11-29-23, 07:45 AM
Kjlappy

Originally Posted by joejack951
I’ve had this painful experience previously as well. Next time, use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive and it will peel with far less force. That’s my plan at least!
That's my plan as well! This is my first project bike so I'm treating every problem as a learning moment.