Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Brooks C17 Cambium for Century Rides?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-16, 09:57 AM
lifanus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Brooks C17 Cambium for Century Rides?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if any of you ride on a Brooks Cambium C17 on centuries or 50+ mile rides?

I just did my first century few weeks ago on my Brooks Swift Titanium, and my butt was perfectly fine even though I didn't wear any padded shorts. But I saw another ridder riding on a Brooks Cambium (And he was on a single speed...), which I always wondered if it's as comfortable as a leather brook.

My main concern with my leather Swift is that everytime when it rains I have to stop and put on the rain cover, which is a hassle and often times I get dropped by the group I'm ridding with... It would be nice to have a saddle that I don't have to worry about getting rained on.

Anyone with experience or opinion to share with is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-16, 08:54 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've never used a leather saddle for long rides but I'm currently using my C17 cambium for brevets and other long rides. I don't know if I'd call it the perfect saddle but it generally doesn't bother me so I'm happy with it for now. It took a few tries to get the tilt right for me but it hasn't given me saddle sore. I wish I'd tried the cut-out version but the store I bought it from didn't sell them. The only other saddle I had long distance on was an old selle italia flite of some kind or another and it was also flawless for me but it was on a bike that got stolen.
Old 07-13-16, 10:07 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 114 Posts

If a Swift works for you, a C15 might be a better choice:narrower, claimed to be better suited to a “more aggressive” position.

That said, I’ve used B17’s for several years and they fit me like no other saddle. But I ruined one riding it for several days in the rain on a fenderless bike (on vacation), and they only seem to last me 2-3 years regardless (I’m on the high side of 185lbright now so that probably has something to do with it.)

So I picked up a used C17 over the winter in search of something more durable and weatherproof. It’s “almost” as good as a B17 – good enough that I bought a new one for my other bike.The other big plus is that the rails on a C17 allow you to position the saddle significantly furtherback on the seatpost – the only other negative to the B17 for me.

I wouldn’t hesitate to ride a C17 for brevets, etc if I can ever get back to that level of fitness.

SP
RUSA 3481
OC, OR

Old 07-13-16, 12:29 PM
MacAttack

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I've never used a leather saddle for long rides but I'm currently using my C17 cambium for brevets and other long rides. I don't know if I'd call it the perfect saddle but it generally doesn't bother me so I'm happy with it for now. It took a few tries to get the tilt right for me but it hasn't given me saddle sore. I wish I'd tried the cut-out version but the store I bought it from didn't sell them. The only other saddle I had long distance on was an old selle italia flite of some kind or another and it was also flawless for me but it was on a bike that got stolen.
How did you end up tilting the saddle? I've tried various tilts but just can't decide which is best. Right now I have the nose portion just about level. I have a drop-bar bike, but handlebars are about saddle height.
Old 07-13-16, 12:47 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Can you test ride one? My lbs(BFold of NYC) have a C17 and a C15 loaners/testers; as well as some other models/brands.
The C17 was okay for me on up to 50 miles; but started to get uncomfortable for longer rides. When they first came out;
you didn't have the cut out option.

"My main concern with my leather Swift is that everytime when it rains I have to stop and put on the rain cover, which is a hassle and often times I get dropped by the group I'm ridding with."
If there's a chance of rain; just go ahead and put the cover at the beginning of the ride. Then you wouldn't have to stop.
100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
BROOKS C17 LOANER FROM BFOLD by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 07-13-16, 03:01 PM
clasher

Originally Posted by MacAttack
How did you end up tilting the saddle? I've tried various tilts but just can't decide which is best. Right now I have the nose portion just about level. I have a drop-bar bike, but handlebars are about saddle height.
I think I started with nose point up a bit and that was most of the problem. I just kept making small adjustments until it felt "right" for me. It looks fairly close to level and my bars about level with the saddle.
Old 07-13-16, 06:50 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some love those Cambrian things.

Others HATE them. Count me in that group.

A friend got a Cambrian, and after he concluded it was not for him, I gave it a try. I'll admit that I wasn't in cast-iron-butt shape when I gave it a try, but I found it was about as comfortable as I imagine using a granite saddle would be. Gave it back to my friend, and he sold it on the internet.

I have another rando friend that says his Cambrian feels as if he is sitting on a 2x4 if he rides it for more than about 17-miles. He has kept it, but uses it only for commuting the 12-or-so-miles to and from work.

All three of us are K-Hounds; the first friend mentioned and I are Mondial holdiers and the commuter user only needs 340-RUSA credit kms to Mondial. I mention this only to let you know that all three of us have ridden at least a little bit and perhaps our experiences have some validity.
Old 07-13-16, 09:16 PM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffrun

A friend got a Cambrian, and after he concluded it was not for him, I gave it a try. I'll admit that I wasn't in cast-iron-butt shape when I gave it a try, but I found it was about as comfortable as I imagine using a granite saddle would be. Gave it back to my friend, and he sold it on the internet.

I have another rando friend that says his Cambrian feels as if he is sitting on a 2x4 if he rides it for more than about 17-miles. He has kept it, but uses it only for commuting the 12-or-so-miles to and from work.

All three of us are K-Hounds; the first friend mentioned and I are Mondial holdiers and the commuter user only needs 340-RUSA credit kms to Mondial. I mention this only to let you know that all three of us have ridden at least a little bit and perhaps our experiences have some validity.
Looking at the saddle logically I don't really see any reason it would be any worse than any other saddle. Seems like it should be more comfortable.

It's quite firm when you first sit on it just like hundreds of other saddles, but it has some give in it for extra comfort & the rubber soaks up some of the road buzz.

What do you think regarding it's design would cause people to dislike it?

(By the way I'm not saying it's awesome, just trying to figure out it's faults if any).
Old 07-14-16, 12:54 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I gave a C17 a good long try before finally admitting defeating and passing it on to someone else. The C17 was too firm for me creating agonizing pressure on the sit bones. I tried it for a several extended periods including a few 200's, a 300, and a winter on the trainer but it just wasn't for me. I found the shape closer to a pro than a B17, so maybe it was just too narrow for me.

I also found it more difficult to get the fore / aft position correct. A slippery leather Brooks provides great feedback if it is in the wrong spot by having you slide forward or back under pedaling or hitting bumps. The friction of the cotton surface on the C17 keeps you from sliding.

On the plus side I have to say it never once gave me a saddle sore.
Old 07-15-16, 01:40 PM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine bought what he thought was a C17, hated it, and sold it to me
at a great price. I say thought because what he had was the women's model ... the C17s.
Now, I'm a huge Brooks fan and currently have 4 Brooks saddles...B17, Swift, Team pro, and my newly acquired
C17s. I mostly complete an SR series or two ( sometimes three) each season and do an additional 1000km or two...depending on what
is offered and how much time I can spend away from my family. I do all my rando rides fixed.
I just put the C17s on my around town track bike and rode in an organized century this past Sunday.

I really liked it.
Was it as good as my leather Brooks?
Possibly, though I'd say it was different.
I'll try it next on a 200 and work my way up through the distances and see it the performance holds,
but for me the initial test is promising. I don't anticipate any problems.
Old 07-15-16, 02:28 PM
lonesomesteve

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 65 Posts
As you can tell from the mixed responses here, saddles are a very personal thing. What works for me may or may not work for you. So asking strangers on the internet if a saddle will work for you is sort of like asking if you'll be happy with that girl or guy you're thinking of dating.

That said, I'll tell you that I've had great success with the Cambium C-17. I've used it for two SR series, PBP, a couple fleches and countless other long rides, and it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever used for long distance. I tried various leather Brooks saddles (B17, Team Pro, Swallow, B17 Imperial) and a few other flavors of modern plastic saddles first and never found anything that was comfortable beyond the first 300k. I suspect the reason people have such different experiences is because we all have different body shapes, riding positions and riding styles.
Old 07-18-16, 08:00 AM
lifanus

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback, I'll try to get a used Cambium and test it out... If I don't like it, then I'll sell it
Old 07-18-16, 09:41 PM
clasher

Maybe I jinxed myself but I have a little saddle sore after spending 400km on my cambium. I don't know if it was the saddle or the knickers I was wearing, I hadn't used them for anything over a 100km so maybe they are to blame but I am thinking about trying other saddles at this point in my experience with the cambium.
Old 07-21-16, 08:32 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at the saddle ... [s]eems like it should be more comfortable.
Agree. It SEEMS like it should be comfortable.

What do you think regarding it's design would cause ....
I dunno'. Design / shape had me chomping at the bit. Reality was another story (for me, and the friends I mention). As I noted in my original post, some people like them much.

BTW, the "2x4" friend mentioned above, I understand that he now has completed the requirements for the RUSA Mondial award.
Old 07-21-16, 10:18 AM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree. It SEEMS like it should be comfortable.

I dunno'. Design / shape had me chomping at the bit. Reality was another story (for me, and the friends I mention). As I noted in my original post, some people like them much.

BTW, the "2x4" friend mentioned above, I understand that he now has completed the requirements for the RUSA Mondial award.
I've done a few more rides with it & I'm still not sure what I think of it. Feels a little wide sometimes for my 122 sitz bones. Feels a little hard sometimes. But it does soak up the road buzz & rough roads pretty well.

I think the saddle works best when you level the tail with the nose. When you do that the rubber can then function as a hammock. Tilt the saddle down from that point & the hammock effect won't be as noticeable because your weight is falling on the tilted tail instead of the center of the hammock.

But if you level the tail with the nose you may run into perenium pressure depending on how upright you sit. I have handlebars even with the seat & I feel some irritation as my body sinks into the carved out hole.

I've tested a bunch of saddles now & I really don't like any of them. So for now I'm keeping the C17 until I find one that feels just right. The C17 would be a pretty easy pick for me if you didn't have to tilt the nose up, & if I could make it just a little narrower.
Old 07-21-16, 10:55 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,964 Times in 1,402 Posts
Latest saddle to get an OK rating here was a Performance Bike $50 Gel Fit Sweep. Bought 3 of them.
Old 07-22-16, 08:14 AM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Latest saddle to get an OK rating here was a Performance Bike $50 Gel Fit Sweep. Bought 3 of them.
I like the looks of those, but just a little too narrow for me though.

I tried an Ergon SMC3 saddle last night.
That was pretty nice, although I need to try a large instead of a medium.

Tried a Fabric Scoop also, but it was also just a little too narrow.
Old 07-22-16, 08:16 AM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So do you guys have any favorite saddles that are on the wider side that might be worth a try?
Old 07-22-16, 08:26 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
...I've tested a bunch of saddles now & I really don't like any of them. So for now I'm keeping the C17 until I find one that feels just right. The C17 would be a pretty easy pick for me if you didn't have to tilt the nose up, & if I could make it just a little narrower.
C15 and C17 side by side:
https://livedoor.blogimg.jp/wadacycle...1/b102b344.jpg
Old 07-22-16, 08:35 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have the Brooks C17 Cambium Carved on my Giant TCR .... this is the one that has the cut out/slot and is designed for long distance riding/touring

comfy straight out of the box .... took a few adjustments to find the sweet spot and I have it level

I only received it a week ago, and the longest ride that I've done is just over 60km ... the slot allows the sadlle to flex more, so road vibrations are eliminated/lessened

I'm really liking it so far, and will do a 140km ride tommorow then update this thread with my comments.

I also have a Gilles Berthout Aravis leather saddle on my Surly which is very comfortable, but it's leather and not waterproof ... The Brooks Cambium is waterproof and comes with a 10 year guarantee (if you register the serial number on the Brooks website)
Old 07-22-16, 08:42 AM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Big difference in size.
I would like a C16 which would probably be the perfect width for me............they forgot to make it though.
Old 07-23-16, 06:30 AM
dim

a quick update .... done my ride today with the Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle

139.2 km ... Moving time:5:02:42 .... Average Speed:27.6km/h

Saddle was really very comfortable up until approx 117km ... I did not even think about the saddle

from 117km I started feeling the saddle presence (if that makes sense?) but it was not uncomfortable ... I think that sitting on a saddle (no matter how good) for over 5hrs on a continuous ride will start becoming a bit uncomfortable

I don't use bibs or padded shorts and I rode with gym shorts

but overall I'm well pleased and will buy a brown one for my Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike that I'm customising ... Bear in mind that my Brooks is the Carved model (with the slot cutout in the top of the saddle) and is marketed as the touring version for longer rides

Last edited by dim; 07-23-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 09:16 AM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
a quick update .... done my ride today with the Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle

139.2 km ... Moving time:5:02:42 .... Average Speed:27.6km/h

Saddle was really very comfortable up until approx 117km ... I did not even think about the saddle

from 117km I started feeling the saddle presence (if that makes sense?) but it was not uncomfortable ... I think that sitting on a saddle (no matter how good) for over 5hrs on a continuous ride will start becoming a bit uncomfortable

I don't use bibs or padded shorts and I rode with gym shorts

but overall I'm well pleased and will buy a brown one for my Bridgestone MB2 mountain bike that I'm customising ... Bear in mind that my Brooks is the Carved model (with the slot cutout in the top of the saddle) and is marketed as the touring version for longer rides
If you were perfectly comfortable on that saddle, which is very hard, for 117km with gym shorts then it must be a really good saddle for you.
How was the perineum pressure? Did you have to tilt it up or down to relieve any pressure?

Last edited by MacAttack; 07-23-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-23-16, 10:32 AM
dim

If you were perfectly comfortable on that saddle, which is very hard, for 117km with gym shorts then it must be a really good saddle for you.
How was the perineum pressure? Did you have to tilt it up or down to relieve any pressure?
the C17 Cambium Carved saddle is not hard .... it has a big slot in the centre. If you press your thumb on the saddle, you will see it flex. Thats why it's good for long distance as it also eliminates some road vibrations ... it's very similar to a good broken in B17 (like a hammock, but does not need tensioning and is 100% waterproof)

for the first 117km, I did not even think about the saddle .... after 117km (approx 4 hrs 45 minutes of riding), I started to feel the saddle, but not in an uncomfortable or painful way. Got home, had a bath, then hopped onto my other bike and done the daily grocery shopping .... My arse is fine and no side effects from the C17

Mine is set up dead level (my son has an app on his iphone which has a spirit level and we used this to set it up)

My LBS allows people to test the C17 ... they take a deposit, give you a saddle for 2-3 weeks and if you don't like it, they refund you in full when you return it

those who have tried it, always come back and buy a new one (no one has said that it causes discomfort)

I have a much more expensive Leather Gilles Berthoud Aravis on my Surly LHT, and if I compare the 2, there is not much difference as far as comfort is concerned.

but saying that, I also have a Charge Spoon which was £17 and which is also very comfy
Old 07-23-16, 09:54 PM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
the C17 Cambium Carved saddle is not hard .... it has a big slot in the centre. If you press your thumb on the saddle, you will see it flex. Thats why it's good for long distance as it also eliminates some road vibrations ... it's very similar to a good broken in B17 (like a hammock, but does not need tensioning and is 100% waterproof)

Mine is set up dead level (my son has an app on his iphone which has a spirit level and we used this to set it up)
:
I would say it's very hard but quite flexible.
Hard due to the fact it has absolutely zero padding.

It would be similar to taking most modern saddles, removing the foam cushioning, & replacing it with cotton.
Then you're just left with a cotton-covered plastic/carbon shell..........some more flexible than others.

The cambium is a cotton-covered rubber shell.
The other difference is that the cambium is only supported at the tail & the nose, so it's supposed to be a bit of a hammock.

It's on my short list as a keeper. Just trying to choose between it & one other saddle.
Cambium wins on rough roads when you get jolted enough to piss off your spine.

I just have trouble with the idea of tilting the nose up so it's level with the tail which most people recommend..................seems like it would lead to perineum pressure if you are leaned forward at all, and it's just a little too wide in the nose for me, but not horrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.