Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Starting to commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Starting to commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 07:45 PM
steph746

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hello Karina,

I really like your bike. What would you estimate the cost to put that together? Are the tires you have good commuter tires? They look pretty sturdy, but not mountain tires? I also like the rear cargo rack and fenders

Did you purchase it used?
Likes For steph746:
Old 04-03-24, 07:14 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Hi Steph. I got the Princess in 2019 for $75; it looked like someone had ridden her hard and put her away wet in the garage, 25 years before. Everything was original, including the lubricants. I put too much money into her, partly because I took her straight to my local bike mechanic (I have a bad habit of flailing and saying "make it go!" rather than doing anything myself) and partly fumbling my way into the right fit for me; I think that's the third handlebar she's had. I'll admit it, it was over $800, but as I say to others, it's a better bike than I can buy new for the price. You can probably do better if you're willing to do some work yourself (and don't need new wheels).

The tires are Maxxis DTHs, which were originally for dirt jumpers, but they've become very popular with old mtb. enthusiasts. They have enough tread to handle some light dirt, but they're not knobby so they work really well on pavement.

The rack means she can carry all my stuff, and the fenders do a wonderful job of keeping my backside, feet, and drive train clean when going through puddles or mud.

The best thing, IMO, is the 26" wheels. I'm 5'4" and they make the bike feel proportional to me. I've ridden bikes with standard size wheels, and I always felt like a chihuahua on stilts. The smaller wheels also mean the mfr. didn't have to get weird with the geometry to get wheels in the small size frame.

Originally Posted by steph746
Hello Karina,

I really like your bike. What would you estimate the cost to put that together? Are the tires you have good commuter tires? They look pretty sturdy, but not mountain tires? I also like the rear cargo rack and fenders

Did you purchase it used?
Old 04-23-24, 08:00 AM
Kiwisaver

Bikes: Fisher Celerity, Reid 1x7 City Bike, Viva fixed gear, 93 Avanti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Dance w/t one that bring yah.

Get some 1.50 or 1.75 26" Schwalbe Marathons. Get the Plus model for the rear. Also, muguards, too. Planet Bike 65mm are perfect. I rode a Specialized Hardrock for years. Keep it maintained and it'll be ridden by your gr grandchildren.

Last edited by Kiwisaver; 04-27-24 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Likes For Kiwisaver:
Old 04-26-24, 11:03 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have not met anyone who feels safer on a drop bar bike than on an upright bar bike. I prefer drop bars for most riding, but I do feel a bit safer on an upright bike. There may be a few people who prefer drop bars. I tolerate drop bars because I like to pedal hard, and it's more rewarding to do when I'm leaning forward. I don't lean forward like young racers do; I'm too old for that, but I'm leaning more than you will on a flat or swept-back bar. Find what you like. There are many styles and a reason for each style to exist. I still haven't found a favorite and am still experimenting.
I have weird neck problems and for some reason personally find it easier to look behind me on the drop bars. Looking down and back puts less strain and twist on the part of my neck that doesnt work. When i try to look behind me on my flat bar bike i end up turning my shoulders too much and the bike goes with them causing me too shorten the amount of glancing time as well as having to recover from having accidently ridden into the center of the road. 😆😆
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 04-27-24, 07:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Fair enough. But with any kind of bars, I recommend practicing that move. Look backwards and keep a straight line. I can never be perfect at it, so I practice it frequently. Speaking of practice, I also practice falling off the bike at least once a year. It pays off.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-27-24, 09:11 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
Fair enough. But with any kind of bars, I recommend practicing that move. Look backwards and keep a straight line. I can never be perfect at it, so I practice it frequently. Speaking of practice, I also practice falling off the bike at least once a year. It pays off.
You need to practice? I'm trying to imagine the scenario. Maybe a bean bag chair?
Old 04-27-24, 07:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by curbtender
You need to practice? I'm trying to imagine the scenario. Maybe a bean bag chair?
Well, I do fall, and I believe many others do, too. So I want the fall to injure me as little as possible. I do a "stage fall" which actors learn: ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder. And when I do fall, I get up, and then I realize that it went pretty much according to my rehearsals, and it doesn't hurt much.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-27-24, 07:50 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 53 Posts
Well, I do fall, and I believe many others do, too. So I want the fall to injure me as little as possible. I do a "stage fall" which actors learn: ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder. And when I do fall, I get up, and then I realize that it went pretty much according to my rehearsals, and it doesn't hurt much.
that is smart to practice. We spent the 1st week of DT in the LEO academy just learning how to fall. People think its weird but ive never hit my head duting a fall because of it.
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 04-28-24, 06:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
that is smart to practice. We spent the 1st week of DT in the LEO academy just learning how to fall. People think its weird but ive never hit my head duting a fall because of it.
I also practice driving a car with ABS: I find a snowy spot where I can afford for the car to slip in any direction. I slam on the brakes. The pedal vibrates, and I fight my reflex to let off the pedal, and I keep my foot down. I didn't get a chance to do it this past winter because the climate changed, and we barely had snow.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-28-24, 07:56 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
Isn't there a word for that? I think they call it tomballay..
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-28-24, 09:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I googled that and got weird results.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-29-24, 10:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
I think the word I would choose is "weirdo"