Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shimano Cues (Drop bar) Road/Bar End Shifters, Any options?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 10:27 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

I'm looking to build a solid, durable, commuter bike with drop bars with a Surly Preamble frame set. I've always leaned towards Shimano components and would like to build a 1x11 drivetrain using Shimano cues components as they are marketed as more durable and I'd like to build something that has some durability built in, short of going to an IGH. I've searched on this topic and I have found all kinds of kinds of threads on pull ratio, cable pull, that it's inevitable Shimano will come out with road or INDEXED bar end shifters for Cues, that they may use the SRAM 1:1 pull ratio, etc. Has there been any later developments in INDEXED road shifting options for Shimano Cues? Has there been any INDEXED road/bar end shifters that have been found to work through budget mullet set ups?

I'm also trying to understand why there is so much emphasis on "pull ratio" aka how much a pull on the shifters per shift equals on how much the derailleur moves. Does this have relevance? Shouldn't we be more concerned about how much cable the shifter moves for a given shift and whichever derailleur you are controlling will move accordingly based on it's pull ratio for the drive train it is designed to serve? Apparently the Linkglide cable pull is 3.5 mm per shift. Are there any specs on equivilent Shimano/SRAM shifters and how much cable they move per shift? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by speyfitter; 03-29-24 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-29-24, 10:48 AM
speyfitter

Just did a search online for cable actuation and found a few things that suggested that the cable pull for SRAM 11 speed mountain Exact/X actuation is about 3.5 mm. Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-30-24, 08:30 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
This is scary: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...himano-cu.html

I wasn’t aware of this development. Does it mean that our 9 and 10 speed shimano spacing will no longer be supported? Time to grab some chains and cassettes?
Old 03-30-24, 06:19 PM
speyfitter

This video just came out earlier today, what a coincidence lol:

Old 03-31-24, 12:13 AM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
This article seems to suggest that a Microshift thumb shifter that uses the same cable pull as SRAMs 11 Speed Exact Actuation indexes with CUES. This is great news, as Microshift also makes a bar-end shifter. I may have to get one of these thumb shifters and give it a try soon. I'll also measure how much cable the LinkGlide shifter I have pulls per shift next time I heft that bike into a stand, might be a few days before I get around to it.

I managed to get a drivetrain working with a 9-speed CUES 11-36 cassette, 9-speed SRAM X5 1:1 ratio rear derailleur, 11-speed chain, and a 10-speed Shimano Deore Dyna-Sys shifter. The rear derailleur needed a tiny part of it's parallelogram shaved away to work with the 9-speed CUES cassette, as the cassette has it's cogs in a narrower space than a typical 8/9/10 speed HG cassette. Without modifying the derailleur, the low limit screw was also acting as a high limit screw and preventing the derailleur from shifting to the smallest cog.

Originally Posted by Classtime
This is scary: https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/infor...himano-cu.html

I wasn’t aware of this development. Does it mean that our 9 and 10 speed shimano spacing will no longer be supported? Time to grab some chains and cassettes?
Shimano claims they will support the components being phased out for 7 years. Past that, there will likely still be companies making replacement parts, Microshift, SRAM, KMC, SunRace, etc.