Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub body pawls seizing up after rainy rides

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 04:34 PM
dirtchurch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

My bike's rear freehub stopped freewheeling after I rode it for 14 miles through some very wet conditions (rain and dirty puddles) in Minnesota. The freehub pawls stay stuck and the hub won't freewheel, effectively turning my Surly Ghost Grappler bike into a fixie.

I have had this happen to me three times this winter. It happens when I ride through cold rain and puddles. The issue doesn't happen during a ride, but when I hang up the bike by the front wheel and come back the next morning, the hub has seized.

The fix is to apply freehub lube to the pawls. However, it keeps happening and I need a permanent solution. This bike is my primary mode of transportation in the winter, and this issue renders my bike unusable.

I'm going to try to warranty the Novatec hub, and apply more lube/oil in the mean time. What do you all recommend as the best oil/lube/grease to apply to keep this from happening? And, do you suggest I replace this hub with a Chris King hub or anything else that would be more reliable? It's 12x148mm boost spacing FYI.

Thank you!
Old 02-16-23, 05:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
Questions.

Are you talking about after ourdoor storage?
What is the ambient temperature?

IME, wet bikes or components can freeze when stored indoors then brought out into sub freezing weather. They will also freeze if left out below freezing temps.

Keep in mind that these problems are often worst at near 32. If you've seen those signs saying "Bridge freezes before pavement", be aware that the same applies to your bike.

During a miserable commute in a freezing rain, my bike got glazed building up ice over 1/4 inch thick.

If it is water inside the freehub, you must purge it with heat. A long cycle with s hair dryer, or remove it and bake at 150 or so for a while. Then lube with a thick oil which will coat everything (inside) and prevent a recurrance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-16-23, 05:05 PM
dirtchurch

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Answers.
Are you talking about after ourdoor storage?

I always store it inside, hanging up vertically by the front wheel. Unfortunately this causes dripping from the ice/sludge caked on the downtube, dripping directly into the hub area. I've tried to remedy this in the past by wiping down my bike, and that's been effective. This time, since it was raining (it was around 39F) there was no sludge caked on that I could tell.

What is the ambient temperature?

On the ride that caused this, about 39F. The indoor storage temp is around 70F.

I thought the freezing might have been an issue, but I have repeatedly ridden this bike in subzero temperatures (ranging from -5F and up) and then brought it inside without any issue... but you may be on to something with the freeze/thaw having an effect. If the plethora of new potholes in our roads are any indication, this weather just has been exceptionally bad.
Old 02-16-23, 05:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

39 seems warm for wind chill cooling to be involved.

I'd start by hanging the bike rear wheel up and see if that helps.

If icing isn't the issue, I'd suspect dirt or grease, but the problem is odd. Normal freehub failure is to not engage. One locked up, is normally freed by turning back, which of necessity would disengage the pawls. If it happens again, shift to low and try backpedalling. If necessary, try jamming the freewheel with your foot and roll the bike back a bit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-16-23, 05:39 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Freehub may just need a good flush and re-lube. Just adding more lube without the flush may not help.
Old 02-16-23, 05:43 PM
dirtchurch

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If it happens again, shift to low and try backpedalling. If necessary, try jamming the freewheel with your foot and roll the bike back a bit.
If i hold the cassette (it's not a freewheel) with my hand, and kind of jiggle it to rotate it (simulating backpedaling), it eventually disengages the pawls. But then another 15 degree rotation and it engages the next set of pawls and stops again. It feels so sticky.
Old 02-16-23, 06:05 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I have no idea what road conditions near you are like, but where I live, temperatures just below and just above freezing are when road salt is most effective and also most corrosive. I have no idea how deeply you can service that free hub, whether you can open it up to inspect the innards where the pawls live, but rust in that area inside the hub sounds like what might be the root of your problem
Old 02-16-23, 06:37 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by dirtchurch
If i hold the cassette (it's not a freewheel) with my hand, and kind of jiggle it to rotate it (simulating backpedaling), it eventually disengages the pawls. But then another 15 degree rotation and it engages the next set of pawls and stops again. It feels so sticky.
This sounds like it might be overly thick or stiff lube. This would be most probable if you greased rather than oiled the freehub body.

Or it might simply be packed with crud.

The likelihood of either depends on whether the issue is clearly temperature related.

Either calls for a thorough flushing, drying, and reoiling. (or replacment)

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-16-23, 07:43 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Good cleaning and lube with a very light grease. Half an hour job.
Old 02-16-23, 09:02 PM
dirtchurch

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone! And so quickly, too- really appreciate your thoughts and advice!
Just to clarify regarding the cause: the last time it was cleaned and re-lubed was two months ago and i have ridden it ~250 miles since then, through -5F to 40F temperatures, rain, snow, wind, with no problem. The problem started the day after the most recent rain which was particularly bad. The lube used to fix last time (Dumonde free hub oil) worked beautifully for 2 months.
Since it happens so unpredictably, I need to find a way to prevent this for good. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this issue but it seems like maybe the hub just needs replacement
Old 02-16-23, 10:02 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Always hang your bike by the rear wheel. Less stress on the rear dropouts than on the fork dropouts and it gives your drivetrain he chance to dry out.
Old 02-16-23, 10:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Always hang your bike by the rear wheel. Less stress on the rear dropouts than on the fork dropouts and it gives your drivetrain he chance to dry out.
Yes, I understand drivetrains dry out better when hung one way than the other way... I also understand that front dropouts are too weak to tolerate hanging a static bike weight from them but can handle far greater road shocks...

This said in all satire. I'd like to see some more expert insight on this. Why would a drivetrain dry off better hung one way than the other? And why do ft dropouts have to be babied with low static weights but are fine when riding? Andy
Old 02-16-23, 10:26 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
..... I also understand that front dropouts are too weak to tolerate
There's no percentage in trying to challenge old wive's tales. All you do is alienate a large segment of the married population.

Seriously, IMO, the best argument against hanging a bike by the front wheel is to avoid the wheel flopping as you take it down, and the H-bars hitting your head. If you're tall enough, or the hook is low, enough have at it because the bike doesn't care.
Old 02-16-23, 11:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Three bike hanging direction comments.

In 2002 I started working at a shop very highly regarded in the area. Very service focused as was my backround. At some point soon the discussion as to how to hang the repair bikes came up. I was still new there so hesitated to offer my opinion. To my surprise the boss said rear wheel up on all bikes. His reasoning was that one could lift the bike off the ceiling hook one handed while shifting adjacent bikes aside.

About ten years later when back home I was told by the boss that bikes should be only hung from their front wheel. This way both hands could be used to lift and maneuver the bike out of the storage area.

#3 is from the late 1970s when i learned to alternate the hanging bikes so the bars and seats didn't interfere as much with closely spaced hooks. This is what I still follow for my personal bikes. Andy
Old 02-17-23, 07:38 AM
Kontact 

Thanks for all the responses everyone! And so quickly, too- really appreciate your thoughts and advice!
Just to clarify regarding the cause: the last time it was cleaned and re-lubed was two months ago and i have ridden it ~250 miles since then, through -5F to 40F temperatures, rain, snow, wind, with no problem. The problem started the day after the most recent rain which was particularly bad. The lube used to fix last time (Dumonde free hub oil) worked beautifully for 2 months.
Since it happens so unpredictably, I need to find a way to prevent this for good. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this issue but it seems like maybe the hub just needs replacement
Use a creamy freehub grease. Clearly the oil is part of your problem.
Old 02-17-23, 07:53 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
i'd go to a more durable hub as the brand that you have isn't something I'd mark as being durable, just affordable & mass produced.

Disassembling the hub unit & doing a flush out, dry out, & relube might be a bi-weekly task, for that to potentially increase the hubs reliability.
Old 02-17-23, 08:02 AM
dirtchurch

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Use a creamy freehub grease. Clearly the oil is part of your problem.
Any recommendations on specific grease? Slick honey?
Old 02-17-23, 08:03 AM
MeganCook
Banned.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Three bike hanging direction comments.

In 2002 I started working at a shop very highly regarded in the area. Very service focused as was my backround. At some point soon the discussion as to how to hang the repair bikes came up. I was still new there so hesitated to offer my opinion. To my surprise the boss said rear wheel up on all bikes. His reasoning was that one could lift the bike off the ceiling hook one handed while shifting adjacent bikes aside.

About ten years later when back home I was told by the boss that bikes should be only hung from their front wheel. This way both hands could be used to lift and maneuver the bike out of the storage area.

#3 is from the late 1970s when i learned to alternate the hanging bikes so the bars and seats didn't interfere as much with closely spaced hooks. This is what I still follow for my personal bikes. Andy
Hanging the rear wheel up would allow for easy one-handed removal of the bike, while hanging from the front wheel would allow for more stability and control when lifting the bike. It's also important to consider the type of bike being hung and its weight distribution. Ultimately, it seems like there is no one "right" way to hang a bike and it comes down to personal preference and what works best for the individual and their specific situation. Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights!
Old 02-17-23, 10:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I thought Slick Honey lube was for suspension sliding surfaces and not for rolling elements. For hub bearings I usually use either common Park or Phil green greases or for 4 season riders a marine grade grease. For a freewheel I would not use the thicker grease but would drip thick oil through it (after flushing with a thin solvent/cleaner). Andy (who has used a JA Stein and a Morning Star freewheel/freehub lube injectors for decades)
Old 02-17-23, 10:52 AM
Kontact 

Any recommendations on specific grease? Slick honey?
Dumondetech, Zipp and others make freehub pawn grease. Try one of those.

Slick Honey might be fine. Pawls are neither really sliding or rolling but something in between.

Last edited by Kontact; 02-17-23 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-17-23, 01:18 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Seriously, IMO, the best argument against hanging a bike by the front wheel is to avoid the wheel flopping as you take it down,.and the H-bars hitting your head.
That's why we secure the front wheel to the downtube with a strap - easy to get it in or out of the hook.
If you're tall enough, or the hook is low, enough have at it because the bike doesn't care.
I tend to just stand my bikes on the back wheel propped against something to reduce the floor space they take up, I hadn't thought about whether that might cause road dirt to fall into any moving parts.
Old 02-17-23, 01:26 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Then lube with a thick oil which will coat everything (inside) and prevent a recurrance.
I'd have thought a thin oil would be less likely to drag. The pawls aren't moving when they're loaded so they don't need a heavy lube.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-17-23, 02:32 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by grumpus
I'd have thought a thin oil would be less likely to drag. The pawls aren't moving when they're loaded so they don't need a heavy lube.
The OP's lube is washing out. Thin lube washes out fastest.
Old 02-17-23, 03:28 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Yes, the freehub ratchet doesn't need much lubrication because there's very little friction involved. My recommendation for thick oil is based on years of experience as a all weather rider. I've found that a thicker oil forms a more durable film, offers better rust protection for a longer time.

Unlike many here, I don't baby my bikes. I set them up so I don't have to.

Old 02-18-23, 04:02 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Find some Shimano Freehub Body Grease... they know freehubs. your local bike shop should be able to order it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.