Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Left Turn on Red Permitted?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Left Turn on Red Permitted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 04:55 PM
bikelif3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
This is a "signalized u-turn" the law is probably referring to. Not the situation on Veterans Blvd.
Old 07-28-23, 04:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
This is a "signalized u-turn" the law is probably referring to. Not the situation on Veterans Blvd.
The picture isn't a definition.

The turn on Veterans Blvd seems to be a specific intersection called a "median U-Turn".

https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-ope...edian-u-turns/

It's a U-turn (clearly) and there's a signal that controls it. It seems it could be a form of "signalized U-turn". The signal just isn't before it (and it's possible that these can have dedicated turn lanes).

The median allows cars to wait out of the through lane. It's not really much different than the picture you showed: both block cars from turning into traffic that has the right of way.

Anyway, if it's not a signalized U-turn. then it's a "left from a one-way street into a one-way street".

(c) Except when a sign prohibits a turn, vehicular traffic facing any steady red signal may cautiously enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way street into a one-way street, or to U-turn at a signalized U-turn after stopping as required by Subparagraph (a) or Subparagraph (b) of this Paragraph. Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-23 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 05:03 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by njkayaker
If it's not a signalized U-turn. then it's a "left from a one-way street into a one-way street".
Left from a one-way into a one-way refers to streets that are about 90 degrees to each other, I believe.
Old 07-28-23, 05:11 PM
njkayaker

Left from a one-way into a one-way refers to streets that are about 90 degrees to each other, I believe.
Then, it's a signalized U-turn.

It's a U-turn (clearly) and there's a signal that blocks people from turning into other traffic (clearly). There's nothing that indicates it's not a type of "signalized U-turn". Your picture isn't a definition (nor does it exclude other types of "signalized U-turns").

It's not really any different than the picture you showed except the median lets the signal be placed different: both signals block cars from turning into traffic that has the right of way.

This link (I provided earlier) https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-ope...edian-u-turns/

Includes the following in discussing "median U-turns" (MUTs):

the U-turns are signal-controlled as well
Sounds like another way of saying "signalized U-turns".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-29-23 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-28-23, 05:17 PM
bikelif3

So...if the curve of that median was a mile long, do you still agree with everything you've said?
Old 07-28-23, 05:21 PM
njkayaker

So...if the curve of that median was a mile long, do you still agree with everything you've said?
It's not a "mile long".

It's a U-turn (clearly) and there's a signal (on the U-Turn) .

However, I still consider this a front-facing red.
Your picture of a signalized U-turn is a "front facing red" (which doesn't appear to be a term of art anyway).

Haha...didn't know there was a "U-turn" sign there. Anyway, traffic is confusing, that's why we don't have fully self-autonomous.
You think this is confusing. It's not confusing.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-28-23 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-28-23, 05:27 PM
bikelif3

It's not a "mile long".

It's a U-turn (clearly) and there's a signal (on the U-Turn) .
Yes, definitely not a mile long, but at what exact distance shall we call a U-turn not a U-turn?
Old 07-28-23, 08:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
It's illegal to "ignore the red".

The green light indicates that it's "safe" to go (you have the right of way).
The red light means you have to stop and you can go if there is no crossing traffic.

It's no different than a right on red.

It's a "signalized U-turn" and the LA law explicitly mentions it. It's not straight either. The stop bar is at a 45 degree angle. That is, you have to turn left after the light.

The quoted law isn't unclear. That's what I'm basing what I said on.
You're just repeating yourself.

We each, along with others here gave voiced our OPINIONS, based on our interpretations of the situation.

Once it's all been said, there's no point in continuing to argue in circles.

Maybe, we'll one day hear from someone it the LA DOT, or one who got and fought a ticket thereby getting a judicial ruling, but until then, it's all been said.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-23, 04:26 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Why not ask your local LEO?
Old 07-29-23, 05:19 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
What was the OP's question....
Old 07-29-23, 07:36 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're just repeating yourself.
You asked a question and I provided an answer. Either you didn't understand it or didn't like it. And, no, I didn't "repeat myself".

Repeating myself, it's not really any different than a right turn on left, which you just keep ignoring.

...if folks are free to ignore that red.
This is a ridiculous thing to say. This shows you don't know how the traffic law works at all.

We each, along with others here gave voiced our OPINIONS, based on our interpretations of the situation.

Once it's all been said, there's no point in continuing to argue in circles.

Maybe, we'll one day hear from someone it the LA DOT, or one who got and fought a ticket thereby getting a judicial ruling, but until then, it's all been said.
But this is easy. We disagree, and both have made our opinions abundantly clear, so there's no point in argueing about it any farther. Folks are free to draw their conclusions with the understanding that those in certain areas may, one day, have to justify their interpretation to a judge.
If you think there is "no point in arguing about it further", why are you still arguing about it?

And people are quite free to point out why they think other people's opinions are flawed. Oddly, you keep ignoring what the LA law says.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-29-23 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-29-23, 07:37 AM
njkayaker

Yes, definitely not a mile long, but at what exact distance shall we call a U-turn not a U-turn?
This U-turn has a sign.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-29-23, 05:27 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Unless that caveat is given in the law, it would appear to be nothing more than your personal belief. This is clearly a U-turn though since the state's signage has declared it so.
Old 07-30-23, 03:22 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
.......If you think there is "no point in arguing about it further", why are you still arguing about it?.....
Actually I wasn't. My last post was that we each had out OPINIONS and I was happy to leave things there, as in "agree to disagree".

However, it seems that you have some deep seated to be right, and for anyone who doesn't agree with you to be wrong. So feel free to keep parsing my posts to PROVE that I'm wrong. I obviously don't care about your OPINION and trust folks who can read to draw their own conclusions.

BTW- My argument, such as it was wasn't about the law, but whether this is a left turn vs. a left hand lane merge. Of course you disagree, and I accept that so no point in arguing it accept in a LA court of law. (should the need arise)

BTW- I've heen here on BF long enough to know you have to have the last word, so this is it for me, and feel free.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-30-23 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-30-23, 05:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Why not ask your local LEO?

I have a hunch that local officers would be about as aligned in their interpretation as we are.
Old 07-30-23, 05:45 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have a hunch that local officers would be about as aligned in their interpretation as we are.
True, but they are the ones that would be writing the ticket.
Old 07-30-23, 05:54 AM
work4bike

If it's lawful for a car to go thru the red light (after stopping of course), then it's perfectly legal for a cyclist to do the same thing. Personally, I see this as a U-turn, but with a signal. I've never seen a signal at a U-turn before, but it's still a U-turn. Or you can even look at this as a merging lane.

P.S. If I'm understanding your question correctly.
Old 07-30-23, 07:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by work4bike
If it's lawful for a car to go thru the red light (after stopping of course), then it's perfectly legal for a cyclist to do the same thing.
That was not part of the question.
Old 07-30-23, 08:11 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
If it's lawful for a car to go thru the red light (after stopping of course), then it's perfectly legal for a cyclist to do the same thing.
Regardless if you realize it or not, that is in fact a fundamentally implicit part of this question, and every question about what is legal to do with a bike on a roadway.

If it's legal for someone to do in a car, then absent specific restriction to the contrary, it's legal on a bike. (If it is wise can only be determined from traffic volume at a particular time).

For it to be legal on a bike in a way that is irrelevant to its legality or illegality in a car, there'd have to be something that granted specific authorization to cyclists uniquely. We have no such indications in the picture or thread. And provisions that treat the car laws as irrelevant are rarely found in the laws governing bicycle operation on roadways - instead what happens is that there's a contrasting sub-part of the the motor vehicle law which creates a bike exception, or there's a bike law that at least somewhat acknowledges the motor vehicle law it creates an exception from.

Besides: it's become quite clear that the fundamental disagreement concerns if the movement is or is not permitted in a car - and that is the only question where through careful research an answer that is a matter of traffic law and not personal speculation is likely to be found.

The bike question can only be usefully considered on top of knowledge of the car answer.

Or to put it another way, if you believe you already have the car answer, why is there even a bike question to ask?

The rest of the community cannot yet agree on the underlying car answer - and that is why there's discussion going on.

at what exact distance shall we call a U-turn not a U-turn?
It may not be a legal standard, but in terms of language what I personally would look at is if the piece of paving facilitates only U-turns, or if there are additional legal maneuvers it enables - is there an intersection with a cross street, a gas station or truck stop, a parking lot, a rest area? Of course that gets complicated if there's a gated entrance to a state highway salt igloo or an ungated but posted farm track.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-30-23 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-30-23, 09:29 AM
work4bike

Ok, then I guess I don't understand your question.

For clarification: I thought you stating that cars (such as the two red cars in your OP) were to stop at the Red Light and then were legally permitted to merge onto the one way road, when safe, even with the Red Light still illuminated.

And for the Question: I thought you were asking if it's legal for a cyclist to do the same thing.

Old 07-30-23, 09:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by UniChris
Regardless if you realize it or not, that is in fact a fundamentally implicit part of this question, and every question about what is legal to do with a bike on a roadway.
Exactly, so where's the value in stating the obvious?
Old 07-30-23, 09:57 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Because there's still no agreement if the maneuver is legal in a car.

Hence no agreement if it's legal in a bike.
Old 07-30-23, 05:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
get it in writing imo.
Old 07-31-23, 11:35 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
If only there was someone is Louisiana whose job was to answer questions about interpretations of law?

(That would be Jeff Landy’s office, the Attorney General.)

It’s also my experience my local rep and senator are great, as are a couple of reps and senators who specialize in bike law, who will answer such questions even for people who aren’t their constituents.

Or, you can ask here, and get both knowledgable answers and questionable answers.

-mr. bill
Old 07-31-23, 11:40 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

The turn on Veterans Blvd seems to be a specific intersection called a "median U-Turn".

https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-ope...edian-u-turns/
In Louisiana, “neutral ground” = Indiana’s “median.”

-mr. bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.