Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

(NYC) > Provo (UT) arriving mid June

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-23, 08:14 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

Looks like next year I'll ride from home to Provo where I should arrive by the third week of June.

My very preliminary itinerary would put me in Denver via the ACA's Eastern express. Then GDMBR up to route 40, then west to Provo.

Makes sense?
Old 07-20-23, 05:08 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I don't have a whole lot to add on your plans specifically.

However, I drove a semi for a while. I ran flatbed and specialized, some curtain side runs but mostly flat bed and some step deck. I got a trip, ultimately, out to LA in several segments. On the way back I had a load of large concrete pipe. I picked up in the blazing sun just outside LA and ended up in the snow in Provo. I forget what I picked up in Provo, but I believe it went to MN or WI. Anywho, my dispatched route was up to Salt Lake City on I15 N to pick up I80 E. I asked a guy where I picked up my load how he would recommend getting back to I80. He suggested Rt. 189 through Heber City. So I went that route. It was quite sketchy in the semi truck and I ticked a lot of drivers off behind me going up though 189 pretty slow - lots of grades, twists, and turns. I'm sure that area is quite the run for sports cars, not really the place for semi trucks. That route took me right through Provo Canyon. Aside from the avalanche chutes and numerous avalanche warning signs, it ended up being one of my best over-the-road route memories. There are a few of those places around North America I drove through in the semi where, if I wasn't chained to the truck, I would have loved to stop, stay a while, and explore - and that part of Utah was one of them. Just beautiful country out there.

Best of luck on your plans and that you get everything ironed out. Keep us posted!
Likes For KC8QVO: