Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive headset for mid 80s Miyata?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 05:11 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

Got a '86 Miyata that I'm building up and need a new headset. Any recommendations for a decent inexpensive (less than $50) unit?
Old 02-01-22, 05:18 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
A Tange Levin CDS is pretty tough to beat. I think you can get them in both ISO and JIS sizes so measure. They also have a low stack height.
Old 02-01-22, 06:01 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Velo-Orange has a few of their sealed bearing ISO headsets with damaged boxes in their Specials section for $40. That's a great deal on a great headest. I ordered one already, so have at it.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eid=ae9e02ecff
Likes For mattface:
Old 02-01-22, 06:04 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by mattface
Velo-Orange has a few of their sealed bearing ISO headsets with damaged boxes in their Specials section for $40. That's a great deal on a great headest. I ordered one already, so have at it.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...eid=ae9e02ecff
Would the mid 80s Miyata be ISO or JIS? I'm assuming ISO .. ? (thanks for link - ill check 'em out!)
Old 02-01-22, 06:54 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Would the mid 80s Miyata be ISO or JIS? I'm assuming ISO .. ? (thanks for link - ill check 'em out!)
I don't know. Being Japanese it could well be JIS. I'm not sure if mid-80s constitutes an "older" Japanese bike. I'd put a caliper on the fork crown to verify if it's 26.4 or 27.0mm.
Likes For mattface:
Old 02-01-22, 07:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,833 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by BradH
A Tange Levin CDS is pretty tough to beat. I think you can get them in both ISO and JIS sizes so measure. They also have a low stack height.
+1 on this

Old 02-01-22, 08:03 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Would the mid 80s Miyata be ISO or JIS? I'm assuming ISO.
I would assume so too, but don't. Instead, use a digital caliper on the head tube ID and the fork crown OD. if you don't have a caliper, pick up a really cheap one off eBay. Mine cost like $4, and it works great.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-01-22, 11:32 PM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
My 1984 Miyata 710 is ISO. The Velo Orange Grand Cru 1” fit it perfectly.

edit: actually, I needed about a 1 mm spacer to take the place of the old reflector hanger.
If you're interested, the resto-mod information is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/22391912-post8077.html

Last edited by Prunesquallor; 02-01-22 at 11:44 PM.
Likes For Prunesquallor:
Old 02-01-22, 11:50 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 976 Posts
I don't know how much of a weight weenie you are, but I would stay away from steel headsets like the Tange Levin CDS. Get an aluminum headset instead. Tange makes some aluminum ones.
Likewise steel bottom brackets. These classic mid-range japanese bikes tend to come with steel headsets and steel BB's. I take them out and toss them the first chance I get.
Old 02-02-22, 12:35 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 330 Posts
The CDS is a fine choice, and if one desires to go slightly higher in quality and finish, the NJS is my personal favourite (and still within budget). The aluminum version LV-1500 tends to hover just around $55, slightly above the stated budget.
Old 02-02-22, 01:27 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
stay away from steel headsets. Get an aluminum headset instead. Likewise steel bottom brackets...

steel headsets and steel BBs. I take them out and toss them the first chance I get.
What do you use in place of a steel bottom bracket?
Old 02-02-22, 05:00 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
+1. Excellent headset, only about $20.
Old 02-02-22, 05:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I don’t know if they are still made but I like the Ritchey Logic headsets.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-22, 08:41 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The various Tange Levin models are hard to beat for value. Whatever you decide, make sure the new headset has a stack height the same or shorter than the current headset. You can always make up for a shorter stack by adding spacers, but you can't stretch the steer tube to fit a larger stack. Some stack heights courtesy of Barnett's:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stack-height-1.jpg (150.9 KB, 176 views)
stack-height-2.jpg (176.3 KB, 177 views)
stack-height.jpg (24.3 KB, 166 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-02-22, 09:43 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
What do you use in place of a steel bottom bracket?
I've had good luck with cheapo chinese titanium BB's. But any BB with aluminum cups will be better than the all steel BB's.
Old 02-02-22, 11:57 AM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The various Tange Levin models are hard to beat for value. Whatever you decide, make sure the new headset has a stack height the same or shorter than the current headset. You can always make up for a shorter stack by adding spacers, but you can't stretch the steer tube to fit a larger stack. Some stack heights courtesy of Barnett's:
For the OP: as I mentioned, the Velo Orange headset I used ended up being about 1 mm shorter than the Miyata steer tube. VO lists the stack height as 41 mm.
Old 02-02-22, 05:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

any BB with aluminum cups will be better than the all steel BB's.

​​​​​​
None of my original bb's came with aluminum cups, and they're all top line units with hollow spindles: Dura Ace, Sugino and Campagnolo.
Old 02-02-22, 05:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by Prunesquallor
For the OP: as I mentioned, the Velo Orange headset I used ended up being about 1 mm shorter than the Miyata steer tube. VO lists the stack height as 41 mm.
And that's what spacers are for.

Or did you mean it was too tall for the steerer? Not all steerers are cut equal although we'd love to assume so.

Bianchigirll I like the Ritcheys at the pricepoint too but JIS might be harder to find.
Old 02-02-22, 05:35 PM
icemilkcoffee 

​​​​​​
None of my original bb's came with aluminum cups, and they're all top line units with hollow spindles: Dura Ace, Sugino and Campagnolo.
You mean the Dura Ace Octolink BB? I believe that one has aluminum cups. Are you sure they are steel?
Old 02-02-22, 05:42 PM
Prunesquallor

Originally Posted by clubman
And that's what spacers are for.

Or did you mean it was too tall for the steerer? Not all steerers are cut equal although we'd love to assume so.

Bianchigirll I like the Ritcheys at the pricepoint too but JIS might be harder to find.
The steerer was just a little too tall. Actually, the headset lock nut has this nice rubber grommet seated flush with the top. When the locknut was tightened, the steerer bulged out the grommet. The spacer took care of that and now there’s a nice moisture seal around the stem.
Old 02-02-22, 08:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

You mean the Dura Ace Octolink BB? I believe that one has aluminum cups. Are you sure they are steel?
I believe you're referring to Octalink. This is the c&v subforum. I'm referring to a DA cup & cone bb from the early '80s, not a cartridge unit from 2000.

You're also referring to cartridge bottom brackets where the steel spindle is sealed within a body of two bearing cartridges which are also made of steel. (Or they use other steel parts like cones and lock nuts.) These aluminum (or plastic) "cups" you're referring to simply hold that cartridge in the frame. They don't actually serve the same purpose of c&v steel cups which secure/adjust the ball bearings.

I don't know of any vintage steel or ti spindle that actually fits into aluminum cups. How would that last?

Last edited by SurferRosa; 02-02-22 at 10:00 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-03-22, 03:49 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
I don't know how much of a weight weenie you are, but I would stay away from steel headsets like the Tange Levin CDS. Get an aluminum headset instead. Tange makes some aluminum ones.
Likewise steel bottom brackets. These classic mid-range japanese bikes tend to come with steel headsets and steel BB's. I take them out and toss them the first chance I get.
Please toss them my way. I'd even be willing to pay you a bit for your trouble.
Old 02-03-22, 07:53 PM
icemilkcoffee 

I believe you're referring to Octalink. This is the c&v subforum. I'm referring to a DA cup & cone bb from the early '80s, not a cartridge unit from 2000.

You're also referring to cartridge bottom brackets where the steel spindle is sealed within a body of two bearing cartridges which are also made of steel. (Or they use other steel parts like cones and lock nuts.) These aluminum (or plastic) "cups" you're referring to simply hold that cartridge in the frame. They don't actually serve the same purpose of c&v steel cups which secure/adjust the ball bearings.

I don't know of any vintage steel or ti spindle that actually fits into aluminum cups. How would that last?
You're probably right that all the loose ball BB's are steel. All I know is- an all steel loose bearing BB as found on these old mid-range bikes, would be over 300g. A more modern cartridge type with aluminum cups would be around 200-250g. The chinese titanium ones are 160g. For me- this would be an easy place to save weight without ruining the looks of the bike. Same with the steel headsets.
Old 02-03-22, 11:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

First, op, sorry for the bb threadjack.

loose bearing BB as found on these old mid-range bikes, would be over 300g. A modern cartridge would be 250g.
I'm down with that ... on a not so special bike. But if this Miyata were an upper-mid-level 912 with an original bb hollow spindle, those 50 grams aren't that big of a deal. I much prefer the unit actually engineered for that particular crankset. I know the spindle is the correct taper standard, perfect length on both sides, I trust it, and I'm usually confident it won't be a problem to overhaul, maybe several times during the bike's life.

... an easy place to save weight without ruining the looks of the bike.
Sometimes, originality is important. When it's a keeper, period correctness is almost always important. I chose a new $35 Taiwanese bb for my Miyata with its first gen Chorus crank. But if I could have easily found a Chorus loose ball bb -- even if it's another 50 more grams -- I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat ... just for the perfectly measured offset spindle. Plus, you can see the cup from the nds, and the original vintage one always looks better.

Same with the steel headsets.
Yeah, if I can have my choice between Super Record and Record, I'll probably take SR every time. I like that the upper race is drilled and the threaded pieces are aluminum. But at the same time, it's not that big of a deal, and steel units tend to keep their appearance longer.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-05-22, 09:29 AM
tendency

First, op, sorry for the bb threadjack.

I'm down with that ... on a not so special bike. But if this Miyata were an upper-mid-level 912 with an original bb hollow spindle, those 50 grams aren't that big of a deal. I much prefer the unit actually engineered for that particular crankset. I know the spindle is the correct taper standard, perfect length on both sides, I trust it, and I'm usually confident it won't be a problem to overhaul, maybe several times during the bike's life.

Sometimes, originality is important. When it's a keeper, period correctness is almost always important. I chose a new $35 Taiwanese bb for my Miyata with its first gen Chorus crank. But if I could have easily found a Chorus loose ball bb -- even if it's another 50 more grams -- I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat ... just for the perfectly measured offset spindle. Plus, you can see the cup from the nds, and the original vintage one always looks better.

Yeah, if I can have my choice between Super Record and Record, I'll probably take SR every time. I like that the upper race is drilled and the threaded pieces are aluminum. But at the same time, it's not that big of a deal, and steel units tend to keep their appearance longer.
It's a Pro Miyata - so one of their nice high end bikes. The '86 model year came w/ full SunTour sprint. Unfortunately, I need to replace the bottom bracket as well as one of the cups cracked (I suppose I could track down a replacement..). The bike was from a humid location and wasnt particular well cared for so the headset races are all rusted and the bearings ruined.
Likes For tendency:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.