Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Widen SRAM Force rim brake calipers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 08:46 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

I acquired a 2007 Felt FC road bike and am rehabbing it for personal use. I am having difficulty with setting the rear brakes (SRAM Force rim calipers): the only way I have even barely enough clearance between the (new Kool Stop) brake pads and the (Bontrager RL, ~23.5 mm OD) rims is if I completely loosen the pinch bolt and release the caliper lever in the up position - and even then there's very minimal clearance.

When I adjusted the front brakes there was plenty of room to play with (same caliper, rim/width and new pads) - which is why I'm confused about the difference in the rear brake.

Admittedly I am not well-versed in SRAM components but have learned a couple of their nuances while rehabbing this bike. I'm wondering if this might be another one - like some sort of a "limit screw" in the brake caliper?

Any relevant feedback is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-23, 08:57 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Force rear calipers work exactly like the front ones. I've only used SRAM, Shimano, or Jagwire pads on mine so I don't know what to say without seeing a photo.
Old 02-10-23, 01:37 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I suspect that you might be using the wrong brake shoes.

Generally, brake shoes intended for ATB are thicker, (brake arm to rim) than road shoes.

For example, KoolStop makes (made?) 2 similar shoes, Supra & Eagle Claw. If you're using Eagle Claws, then Supras will solve the problem.

The other possibility is that you're using a rim significantly wider than typical. Brake designers engineer for the expected rim width, and don't leave much room for wider. In this situation, the workaround Is to seek out a thinner shoe (yes, they vary) or use a rasp to shave the shoes down.
Old 02-10-23, 01:47 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
He says he has the identical stuff front and back and the front is fine. We need to see it.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-10-23, 02:06 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
He says he has the identical stuff front and back and the front is fine. We need to see it.
Agreed, but I've been around here long enough to know that OPs often report the facts wrong. Not intentionally, but because they miss a detail.

So, I post here differently than if I were to deal with an issue in person.

To the OP, eliminate possibilities by starting without any cable at all. Then measure inside arm to arm distance.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-10-23, 03:56 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I have Force calipers on Fulcrum Racing 6 wheels, which are, as close as I can measure, the same external width as yours. I've not had any trouble fitting new brake pads so either something is wrong with that rear caliper or you've got the wrong pads in there. I actually have Kool Stop pads installed at the moment. The correct pad is the Dura 2 cartridge insert. They come in different flavours depending on the anticipated conditions, but I get good results with this one. The idea is that you loosen the screw holding the pad (we used to call them brake blocks when I was young) in place, slide it out, slide in the new one and tighten the screw, rather than replacing the complete unit as you would with V-brakes. If you've chucked the complete cartridge out I presume you can get replacements. Hope that helps.
Old 02-10-23, 04:07 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Are the rear pads hitting the frame's seat stays?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-10-23, 06:51 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Are the rear pads hitting the frame's seat stays?
Good question.