Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used shoe from friend (dilema)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 10:11 AM
echotraveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I broke my cycling shoes. So a friend out of his own deisre lended me a pair that he had. I planed to use some old crappy plastic sole shoes, but his were Fizik r3 in like new condition. This fiziks are too big for him, so they were collecting dust.

I got new shoes, but had to sell since they were too big for me...its been 2 months riding the Fizik, put around 800 miles on them, so they dont look new. Now my friend is telling me i should buy them from him for $100.00

I REALLY dont like the shoes, they have way too much arch support, are blood red, I didnt ask for them. But i did accept the shoes, have put in a lot of miles, more time than we expected, and i dont want to feel uncomfortable with him.

Revising prices, this shoes for 170.00 new at the bay, used ???. Im about to offer him $75.00
Which i feel is a fair price for a friend. Again i dont want this, and actually feel a bit sad about someone lending me something to then asking for money.

What other ways can i handle this situation, to maintain our relationship?

edit: last week i bought new shoes, which are at the PO BOX. Cant discuss price, but got a GREAT DEAL Mavic zxellium ultimates.

Last edited by echotraveler; 05-06-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 10:28 AM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time he drinks a beer at your house, charge him $80 for it. Then say never mind, you'll just call it even. (joking)

Seriously, friends are more important than money. If you want to keep this person as a friend, do your best to find a price that makes you both happy. I wouldn't pay $75 for shoes that didn't fit well. But how bad are they? Figure out the price that makes them worthwhile to you. If he's unhappy with that amount, offer the shoes back.
Old 05-06-13, 10:32 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Can't you change the shoe inserts?
Old 05-06-13, 10:37 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah. He's changing the terms of the agreement, kind of a bait and switch...

Anyway, if you decide to try to keep the peace and buy them, you likely can modify the insole to eliminate the problem with too much arch support. Coupla ways to go at it singly or in combination: 1. Find a flat insole. 2. Pull out the exisitng insole and sand down the high/offending portions on the bottom of it using a dremel and sanding drum. You can also skive it with a straight-edge razor blade. 3.Cut a thin piece of material either the shape of the forefoot or the heel to shim up the front or rear foot to reduce the impact of the arch in shoe.
Old 05-06-13, 10:40 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
You wanted to ride a nice pair of shoes, instead of your cheap plastic shoes. You took advantage of your friend'generosity and you put 800 miles on the shoes. Now that you used the shoes for a couple of months you want to return them and not give your friend anything.

Return the shoes and hope that your friend has a short memory.
Old 05-06-13, 10:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
Seriously, friends are more important than money. If you want to keep this person as a friend, do your best to find a price that makes you both happy.
This.

If you've worn the shoes enough that they don't look new anymore, then he can't sell them and get his $100 because, well, because you've worn them. I think it's fair that you pay him his money. If they were close to double that, and if he would have got $100 for them but can't now ... buy them, and keep them as spares. They can't be that awful if you've been using them long enough to put 800 miles on them.
Old 05-06-13, 10:50 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by echotraveler
I broke my cycling shoes. So a friend out of his own deisre lended me a pair that he had. I planed to use some old crappy plastic sole shoes, but his were Fizik r3 in like new condition. This fiziks are too big for him, so they were collecting dust.

I got new shoes, but had to sell since they were too big for me...its been 2 months riding the Fizik, put around 800 miles on them, so they dont look new.
Now my friend is telling me i should buy them from him for $100.00

I REALLY dont like the shoes, they have way too much arch support, are blood red, I didnt ask for them. But i did accept the shoes, have put in a lot of miles, more time than we expected, and i dont want to feel uncomfortable with him.

Revising prices, this shoes for 170.00 new at the bay, used ???.
Im about to offer him $75.00
Which i feel is a fair price for a friend. Again i dont want this, and actually feel a bit sad about someone lending me something to then asking for money.

What other ways can i handle this situation, to maintain our relationship?

edit: last week i bought new shoes, which are at the PO BOX. Cant discuss price, but got a GREAT DEAL Mavic zxellium ultimates.
Is your friendship worth $25?
Old 05-06-13, 10:54 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Red R3 looks pretty sick actually.
Old 05-06-13, 10:54 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Wait, you "really don't like the shoes", but put "800 miles on them". ?!?! If you don't like them, why did you put that many miles into it? Something about that does not jive.
Old 05-06-13, 11:39 AM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, you rode them for 2 months, you owe him the money. Even if he offered in the first place, you didn't have to accept them...
Old 05-06-13, 11:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Muffin Man
Can't you change the shoe inserts?

If you could, I'd have a pair of R2s... but you can't, so I don't. The insert is flat, but the arch built in to the sole is pretty high, high enough for my average arch to teeter on top.
Old 05-06-13, 01:56 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NRZ
Yeah, you rode them for 2 months, you owe him the money. Even if he offered in the first place, you didn't have to accept them...
That's total bull. He offered to loan them with the expectation they would be used and so should expect normal wear and tear. Asking for money is changing the deal. If he didn't want them to get used, he shouldn't have loaned them out.
Old 05-06-13, 02:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There are givers and there are takers in this world ...
Old 05-06-13, 02:26 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When he "lended" them to you, what did you think the long-term outcome was going to be? My guess is he thought it may be for a week or two while you found a replacement. You've kept them for two months. He may think you changed the arrangements and is now trying to collect thinking you are trying to change it from a loan to a gift.

I'd pay the $100 and keep them as backups or sell them on ebay for whatever you can. Friends are worth that.
Old 05-06-13, 02:28 PM
crash14me

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 4.5 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pay $100 and consider it a rent to own. Now you've got back up shoes and you and your friend stay on good terms. If you are kind to your friend I'm sure your kindness will be repaid down the road.
Old 05-06-13, 04:25 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Situation resolved. I told him directly that i was worried about our friendship and i was willing to pay him $75 for them, or a fee for the rental. The he told me he just lended the shoes without compromise, and that i misinterpreted his comment. He was happy with my $75 offer as they didnt fit him and he had no interest in selling.

The situation wasnt planed, it just took me more than expected to get new shoes. Mostly i felt obliged to offer him something in return since i could have returned and used the old shoes.

As another forumite comments this shoes have a high arch built in...for less than 50 mile rides they are ok. But 70 hilly rides are torture!!!

800 in 2 months is nothing! About the condition, for some reason they rub on the crank arm and i cant seem to fix this with cleat placement. Also the nose have scratched a little bit. All other details are perfect.

Last edited by echotraveler; 05-06-13 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 12:41 PM
polobreaka

Bikes: Leader 722ts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
glad it worked out in the end

Last edited by polobreaka; 05-07-13 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-07-13, 01:25 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
Is your friendship worth $25?
Ding Dong! We have a winner!
Old 05-07-13, 01:50 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echotraveler
Situation resolved. I told him directly that i was worried about our friendship and i was willing to pay him $75 for them, or a fee for the rental. The he told me he just lended the shoes without compromise, and that i misinterpreted his comment. He was happy with my $75 offer as they didnt fit him and he had no interest in selling.

The situation wasnt planed, it just took me more than expected to get new shoes. Mostly i felt obliged to offer him something in return since i could have returned and used the old shoes.

As another forumite comments this shoes have a high arch built in...for less than 50 mile rides they are ok. But 70 hilly rides are torture!!!

800 in 2 months is nothing! About the condition, for some reason they rub on the crank arm and i cant seem to fix this with cleat placement. Also the nose have scratched a little bit. All other details are perfect.
Homeboy did you a solid by loaning you the shoes off his own feet (well, out of his own closet anyway...). Now you owe him a favor and a beer. That's how friendships work, but you went and made things all weird instead of being honest about your feelings when he offered to sell them. All's well that ends well though, I'm happy your friendship survived the ordeal.