Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

adjustment for vintage dura ace si-7400 downtube shifters 2x6 speed friction

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 12:35 PM
Havasu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not able to get the index mode working properly. I changed to the friction mode and it works but the index mode seems to be locked up. I changed the crank set to a 46x36. I had the index working but now it appears to have locked up after clicking once. Any suggestions?
Old 04-12-18, 03:05 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hmmm, perhaps there is too much tension on the mount screw?

1) shift the bike to the smallest cog (high gear), to take tension out of the cable
2) loosen the screw (flathead) that mounts the shifter to the frame
3) then try to move the index/friction knob
Old 04-12-18, 04:09 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 102 Posts
Did you remove the shifter? If it was working and now it isn't it is most likely you have incorrectly reinstalled it.
To work correctly all the parts , washers and the part the shifter sits into against the frame have to be oriented correctly.
Shimano tech docs will give you installation instructions.
Old 04-12-18, 04:51 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 1,668 Times in 1,093 Posts
You can install Shimano shifters at the wrong angle. I'd suggest removing it to check whether you have it 90° off of where it should be.
Old 04-12-18, 07:30 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
You can install Shimano shifters at the wrong angle. I'd suggest removing it to check whether you have it 90° off of where it should be.
Right. The indexing mechanism is in a removable pod, and there's a stop ring on the inside. Make sure the pod and ring are correctly oriented in the lever. If you don't get them installed right you can damage them. There should not be a gap between the pod and lever, and the outer cap should be mounted with the "SIS" script facing up to the end of the lever. The stop ring should be mounted with the "open" side facing upwards or toward the rider.
Old 04-12-18, 09:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,341 Posts
I have seen a number of early DT Shimano indexed levers that have a brass/copper colored toothed washer/spacer sitting between the frame boss and the bulk of the lever's "pod" where the washer has cracked. If the lever is removed (the only way to see this washer and then know of it's condition) the washer will never be able to be reinstalled and do it's job. I don't know if this is the problem, just a data point. Andy