Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Newbie Time Trial Advice with Power Meter

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 08:31 PM
canflyboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all

I'm a recent convert to a power meter. Done a few FTP tests in the past month to get a good solid baseline. I have never done a TT, but plan on doing some this year.

Looking for advice as to how to use my FTP while doing my first TTs. The course is 25k, flat, out and back. Is there a target wattage that is a percentage of one's FTP that I should aim for? At the moment, I'll monitor 3s average, HR and overall average.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Canflyboy
Old 03-23-15, 05:48 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Confirming first you are talking about TT's and not the bike leg of a tri or duathlon?

If TT's, best advice I can give is don't race to specific wattage. First TT I raced with power was on a course I'd raced 3 or 4 times previously. Went out and rode around 105% FTP for the 20km - holding back on the ups and trying to hold that value on the downhills. Ended up riding my slowest time for this circuit!

Now I keep an eye on my wattage in the first 5 minutes only to make sure I don't go out stupidly hard. On any uphills I don't hold back as much as I did that first time rather riding by feel and find my average wattage for the race ends up close to the value I would expect for the race time anyway and I'll be faster.

Better to rely primairly on RPE and use the PM as a carrot to push harder in case wattage drops below a predetermined value rather than capping output...
Old 03-24-15, 08:37 PM
canflyboy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dalai - thanks for the response. Just confirming that "yes" I was talking TT and not a bike leg in a tri or duathlon.

Interesting real life experience (anyone else have the same issues - slowest ride watching powermeter?). I was thinking of using the PM as a carrot to do exactly what you suggest, but I need a ball park predetermined value to aim for that is a percentage of my FTP. Was wondering what TT riders with power meters use for their "carrot"

Thanks again
Old 03-25-15, 04:46 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I only race TT's now for nearly a decade - like I said what average speed do you expect to race the 25km, as the total time out on the course will determine the % of FTP to use.

I.e. FTP is around 92-95% or 20 minute power according to the Hunter Allen testing protocol. I would suggest again to use RPE and perhaps your current FTP as your lower limiter even though you won't be out the whole hour.

Probably get more TTer's replying if you post in the racing section further down.