Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lobster for Two

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lobster for Two

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 04:54 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 2,119 Times in 596 Posts
Lobster for Two

A group of us went riding in the local mountains again last weekend. Most folks went up to the highest paved road (just short of 8000 feet), but I talked a friend of mine into leaving the main group and doing what some call the "Lobster Ride" (so named, because the route looks somewhat like a lobster).

One thing I love about this particular route is that it has lots of climbing (~12,500 feet), but unlike a lot of other routes, has three awesome descents mixed in.

Here is a video of one of the three ... Glendora Ridge Road. It's a jumpy (gotta cinch the helmet down better), but I thought if nothing else, you all would enjoy the soundtrack. Damn ... they don't do music like that anymore.

Old 07-18-16, 05:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,251 Posts
Nice.
Old 07-18-16, 05:26 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Great cycling and a fun video! Thanks for sharing.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-18-16, 06:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Liked 1,702 Times in 840 Posts
Sweet! The music is, of course, the overture to Tommy, by the Who. When I was a kid in Chicao the part near the end with the French Horns "revving up" was used under Ali no smoking burnouts in tv ads for US 30 drag strip in Chicago. As a kid I thought that would be the most fun in the world. Now I think it's biking beautiful mountain roads like in your video.
Old 07-18-16, 06:51 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I'm guessing 39-Crystal Lake and Little GMR are part of that route.

What's the full lobster route description?
Old 07-18-16, 07:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by TGT1
I'm guessing 39-Crystal Lake and Little GMR are part of that route.

What's the full lobster route description?
That's it.

Here's the route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15122857

Old 07-18-16, 07:41 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sweeeeetttt!!!

That's a heck of a lot of climbing.

I've been listening to our local radio station that only plays classic rock from the 60s & 70s while painting rooms the last two weeks. Great stuff. Still the best music in my opinion, transcends time. My favorite groups are the Allman Brothers and CSN&Y.....and anything from Woodstock!!
Old 07-18-16, 07:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Sweeeeetttt!!!

I've been listening to our local radio station that only plays classic rock from the 60s & 70s while painting rooms the last two weeks. Great stuff. Still the best music in my opinion, transcends time. My favorite groups are the Allman Brothers and CSN&Y.....and anything from Woodstock!!
And I ordered my free GoPro today.
Old 07-18-16, 08:31 PM
TGT1

Hitting the climb to the ski lifts after 70 mi and 10,000 ft must be brutal!

I guess I'm just sick enough to find that somehow a worthy goal.
Old 07-18-16, 08:33 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Victor (Biker395), Glad you had a good ride with David Z. He and i talked at the Crystal Lake Cafe turn but he decided to go Lobster with you while Linda and I decided to visit Dawson Saddle.

Good news is that the closed section of 39 was quite clear of debris. A Sheriff's truck actually passed us while we were on the closed section and didn't even slow down! Gotta think that was luck but maybe, as you say, Cal-Trans just hasn't been bothering about it lately. Fine with me!

Lots of options on that Karen Climb-Fest ride and I'm sure everyone had a good time riding the options they picked. I remember riding the Lobster with you and Missy still had two cinnamon rolls left when we got to Mt. Baldy Lodge (4:30 PM).

Linda and I only got 9,500 ft. of climbing but since I'm still not back in shape after my broken-clavicle induced lay-off, that was okay too.

Here's our route on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/643282087

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 07-18-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:33 PM
woodcraft

Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
A group of us went riding in the local mountains again last weekend. Most folks went up to the highest paved road (just short of 8000 feet), but I talked a friend of mine into leaving the main group and doing what some call the "Lobster Ride" (so named, because the route looks somewhat like a lobster).

One thing I love about this particular route is that it has lots of climbing (~12,500 feet), but unlike a lot of other routes, has three awesome descents mixed in.

Here is a video of one of the three ... Glendora Ridge Road. It's a jumpy (gotta cinch the helmet down better), but I thought if nothing else, you all would enjoy the soundtrack. Damn ... they don't do music like that anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCm1VOKDgM

Those other routes have lots of climbing but crummy descents?
Anyway, cool video.
Old 07-18-16, 08:37 PM
TGT1

The descent for the first 8 miles from Crystal lake is as good as it gets.

Two year old pavement and sweeping views.

gonna have to do the "lobster" from home and put a tail on it one of these days
Old 07-18-16, 09:27 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Sweeeeetttt!!!

Have you ever checked out any Allman Bros comeback lp's like "Seven Turns", "Shades of Two Worlds" or "Where it all Began" and last but not least "Hittin' the Note"
Old 07-19-16, 07:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 4,973 Times in 2,289 Posts
Opened this thread hoping to see a tandem Rock Lobster - never seen one.
Old 07-19-16, 09:06 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Hitting the climb to the ski lifts after 70 mi and 10,000 ft must be brutal!

I guess I'm just sick enough to find that somehow a worthy goal.
That last climb is always a gut check. I have pretty low gears, but its always a grunt. And that last 15% section through the bowling alley ... oy. Here's a photo of David Z climbing it. It hurts.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Those other routes have lots of climbing but crummy descents?
Anyway, cool video.
I guess it depends on the kind of descents you like. I'm kinda partial to twisty "technical" descents that test bike handling skills.

The descent off of Dawson Saddle (the one I didn't do) has great views, but has wide, sweeping turns with a 45 MPH speed limit. It's a no brake descent.

On the other hand, the descent off of Highway 39 (at least until the kiosk) has very twisty, with a lot of 15-20 MPH curves. Great views too. And like TGT1 mentioned, great pavement.

The descent in the video (Glendora Ridge Road) is similar ... lots of twisty 15-20 MPH curves, and an awesome view of the San Gabriels. The road sits on the ridge between the city to the south and a deep canyon to the north.

The best of all is Glendora Mountain Road. Lots of twisty curves, flushes, hairpins, great road conditions, and again ... great views. It's an extended descent too. I took a video of it last Saturday and it's over 16 minutes long.

All 3 are terrific, lengthy descents, and it's possible to do them all in a sub 100 mile ride. That's kinda rare hereabouts.

On the other hand, I think descents are like pizza or sex ... even if it's not your favorite, it's still pretty darn good.

The descent for the first 8 miles from Crystal lake is as good as it gets.

Two year old pavement and sweeping views.

gonna have to do the "lobster" from home and put a tail on it one of these days
Yep!

Originally Posted by Brian25
Have you ever checked out any Allman Bros comeback lp's like "Seven Turns", "Shades of Two Worlds" or "Where it all Began" and last but not least "Hittin' the Note"
"Where it all Began" is a favorite of mine. The song "Nobody Left to Run With" rocks true for me, and I love the Bo Diddley beat at the end.

Last edited by Biker395; 07-19-16 at 09:11 AM.