Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just bought a new 2023 Specialized Sirrus 2.0. Upgrades options?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 08:17 AM
rbloem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What parts would you swap out over time? Pedals, gearing etc?? Yes I plan to swap out and upgrade parts on this as I do like this bike. Thanks!
Old 06-03-23, 08:41 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
could you post pictures of it?
Old 06-03-23, 11:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Better tires when you wear the originals out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-23, 02:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Lots you can do with it. I have a 2020 Sirrus 4.0 that started life with a Sora drivetrain. It now has a R7000 105 drivetrain, carbon seat post, better pedals, different grips, and other stuff. It’s been thru three different types of tires, and now sports gravel tires.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-03-23, 03:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rbloem
What parts would you swap out over time? Pedals, gearing etc?? Yes I plan to swap out and upgrade parts on this as I do like this bike. Thanks!
immediate change- pedals and saddle because those are specific to what I want.
Possible change soon- tires if they suck and are slow, and grips if they are uncomfortable.
Long term change- swap the bike for a drop bar that isn't Specialized brand.
Old 06-04-23, 05:58 PM
rbloem

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
could you post pictures of it?
Old 06-05-23, 09:29 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Get some mileage on the bike, get comfortable with the gearing and enjoy. Great suggestions in regards to comfort with changing the saddle, pedals and maybe the grips. Tires would be a nice plus not only for comfort but overall performance (i.e. resistance to cuts, rolling resistance, grip, etc.)

If you ever get an itch to ride off-pavement, this Sirrus can be a decent single track bike too. A cousin of mine won a Sirrus 2.0 a couple years ago. He threw on a generic carbon fork + GK tires and has put over 5K miles from commuting and the occasional single track rides he does especially during the fall/winter months.
Old 06-05-23, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Save your money and swap out the entire bike when the time comes. IE, get a new bike. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Just keep it in good mechanical shape and just adjust and replace what is needed till the day comes you know what it's not doing so well for you. And also know why it's not doing it so well.
Old 06-05-23, 01:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Pretty much all I would replace is stuff I would be moving to a new bike so your touch points, grips, pedals and saddle beyond that I would save my money towards the bike I want. The Sirrus 2.0 is one step up from the bottom it is certainly a bike but not one I would put a ton of money towards it is a basic aluminum frame a hi-ten fork. Ride it, enjoy it but don't put a lot towards the bike but figure out what you like and don't like and then use that knowledge and money saved towards the new bike.

Also keep in mind this is the Road Cycling subforum there is one dedicated to hybrids and the general forum as well as bicycle mechanics typically road bikes are drop bar with a different geometry.
Old 06-05-23, 01:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Also keep in mind this is the Road Cycling subforum there is one dedicated to hybrids and the general forum as well as bicycle mechanics typically road bikes are drop bar with a different geometry.
Can't believe I'm saying this since I have no like for hybrids. However hybrids are ridden on the road. And this is as you said the Road Cycling sub-forum. If it were the Road Bike sub-forum, then maybe you'd have a point.

So probably the type of riding takes precedence over the type of bike.
Old 06-05-23, 01:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Can't believe I'm saying this since I have no like for hybrids. However hybrids are ridden on the road. And this is as you said the Road Cycling sub-forum. If it were the Road Bike sub-forum, then maybe you'd have a point.

So probably the type of riding takes precedence over the type of bike.
Fair dinkum but the general atmosphere here is more geared towards roadies.

I like hybrids, my 1x9 parts hybrid I built up is one of my favorite bikes. Sure in many cases the average hybrid from most brands is pretty meh but there are some neat ones out there and if you build it up yourself you can get what you want out of it.
Old 06-06-23, 05:39 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I taught high-performance automobile driving for approximately 20 years, and was asked far too many times by novice drivers “What mods can I do to make my car faster?”. My answer was always the same…”Drive what you currently have until you have a good sense of what your car and, just as importantly, what you can do.”, since there is no better teacher than seat time. Your new bike should be looked at the same way. Go out, get to know it better and have fun.

After that, I suggest changing items that touch the road (i.e. tires & wheels), things that touch you (i. e. saddle, pedals, handlebar grips, etc.) and, finally, all other things (i.e. drivetrain upgrades, brakes, etc.).
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 06-06-23, 05:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
You just got it. Ride it. Don't worry so much about upgrades just yet. Make sure your fit is set up properly.

Consider clipless pedals and cycling shoes.