Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety > Vehicular Cycling (VC)
Reload this Page >

Simple Question - Are There ANY Women Advocating for Vehicular Cycling?

Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 05:53 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...and don't you ever wonder why that is?

If we want to boost the number of cyclists and make the streets safer for cyclists, we need to forget about the Type A Alpha Male Racer Boys and their 'needs', and focus on what women want.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ts-on-the-road

https://www.newwest.net/city/article/...ays/C108/L108/

(sorry about the cross post, but I'm sort of interested in what sort of response this receives here as opposed to out in the general forum)

Old 09-28-09, 05:59 PM
(BB)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, I didn't know all women want the same thing.

In all seriousness, the person in charge of our local bike to work effort is female, the local coop is run by a gal and her husband although she is the better wrench of the two. I would say the female contingent of our local scene is very equalized.

Glad I don't live in the animal zoo.
Old 09-28-09, 06:03 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by (BB)
Wow, I didn't know all women want the same thing.

In all seriousness, the person in charge of our local bike to work effort is female, the local coop is run by a gal and her husband although she is the better wrench of the two. I would say the female contingent of our local scene is very equalized.

Glad I don't live in the animal zoo.
you didn't really answer the question, perhaps I should rephrase it: are any of these women you mentioned active advocates for vehicular cycling or do they advocate for other forms of bike infrastructure and facilities that are more conducive to cycling without elevated adrenaline and testosterone levels?
Old 09-28-09, 06:23 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Bikes: 2009 Kestrel RT800, 2007 Roubaix, 1976 Lambert-Viscount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
...and don't you ever wonder why that is?

If we want to boost the number of cyclists and make the streets safer for cyclists, we need to forget about the Type A Alpha Male Racer Boys and their 'needs', and focus on what women want.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ts-on-the-road

https://www.newwest.net/city/article/...ays/C108/L108/

(sorry about the cross post, but I'm sort of interested in what sort of response this receives here as opposed to out in the general forum)

I think it's a great idea to encourage women to cycle. Those stats make sense to me, that most cyclists in the US are men, which means it makes sense to make cycling appeal to women if the goal is simply to increase cycling.

But remember, the goal of increasing cycling is not necessarily consistent with the goal of making cycling safer. The perception that X increases safety is not the same as demonstrating that X actually making cycling safer.
Old 09-28-09, 10:04 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The question is loaded - what do you mean by vehicular cycling.

By my definition - defensive bicycle driving according to the rules for drivers, on roadways - the answer is yes. I know two women League Cycling Instructors in my area, one an avid roadie and ride leader married to a former bike shop owner, and the other a professional transportation planner/consultant. I also taught some women in my classes who went on to become advocates for lawful vehicular on-road cycling.

Now, if your definition is someone who meets some polarizing, straw-man definition of a facility-hating, always-lane-taking alpha dog, I know few people like that of either gender.
Old 09-28-09, 10:15 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
increasing rider share across all age brackets and among both men and women is a valuable goal.

increasing rider share in any group, much less the "A" type cyclists -Steve, Danarnold, me, Randya, etc. will require a variety of stick and carrot techniques shown to work in other countries that facilitate rider share for all, not just us "A" types.

Danarnold, you are proving the axiom a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! have you read any John Pucher? How about the FHWA's "who is the design bicyclist?"

and the recent missive coming out of Portland.... let me search.... Roger Gellers' "the four types of cyclist"?

Randya, thanks for the briefs. That Scientific American article mentioned researcher Jennifer Dill, whose work analyzing rider share using actual tracking versus surveys or counts is gaining widespread notice.

likely her methodology will catch on as a virtual survey technique. heck, on g5 phones i see the possibilities of people being able to voluntarily sign up to be a participant in this type of stuff.

Last edited by Bekologist; 09-28-09 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 09:11 AM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sggoodri
I know two women League Cycling Instructors in my area, one an avid roadie and ride leader married to a former bike shop owner, and the other a professional transportation planner/consultant. I also taught some women in my classes who went on to become advocates for lawful vehicular on-road cycling.
I'll bet neither of them go on the internet to rail against bike specific infrastructure
Old 09-29-09, 11:19 AM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by sggoodri
By my definition - defensive bicycle driving according to the rules for drivers, on roadways . . .
I agree with Steve's definition. I don't see any reference in that definition to "Type A Alpha Male Racer Boys".

The implication that women are unwilling/incapable of lawfully and defensively operating a human-powered vehicle on the roadway is insulting.

Old 09-29-09, 12:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,053 Posts
I'll bet neither of them go on the internet to rail against bike specific infrastructure
There are a couple of 'em on the ChainGuard list, but they are not as belligerent and smarmy as their male colleagues, and don't issue cascades of electrons belittling all who don't follow the party line.
Old 09-29-09, 12:59 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by High Roller
The implication that women are unwilling/incapable of lawfully and defensively operating a human-powered vehicle on the roadway is insulting.
I implied no such thing, I implied that women are not interested in competing for roadway space with dangerous motor vehicle operators and would prefer bike specific infrastructure; why don't you read the links?
Old 09-29-09, 01:18 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha. I'm a woman, and I ride wayyy more aggresively and VC than my boyfriend. Of course, I've also been accused of being petty and vindictive, but hey, comes with the territory. I've since become slightly more cautious after a few incidents where I realized that I was close to becoming "dead right".
Old 09-29-09, 01:23 PM
High Roller

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I implied no such thing, I implied that women are not interested in competing for roadway space with dangerous motor vehicle operators and would prefer bike specific infrastructure; why don't you read the links?
Read the links. The Scientific American article is speculative at best. The comments from Kristin Armstrong (my hero and a fellow member of Boise's Bike Safety Sounding Board) are not gender-specific.

Old 09-29-09, 05:07 PM
John Forester

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the difference between "lawfully and defensively operating a human-powered vehicle on the roadway" and "competing for roadway space with dangerous motor vehicle operators"? Two views of exactly the same process and conditions, aren't they? However, why is it particularly important to add new female transportational cyclists? If bicycle transportation is the good that we seek to maximize, I would think that adding 10 new female cyclists would be the same as adding 10 new cyclists at the present mix, say 2 female plus 8 male.
Old 09-29-09, 05:12 PM
randya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
because this discussion here is entirely male dominated
Old 09-29-09, 06:54 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because this discussion here is entirely male dominated
It may be, but how would you KNOW that, considering most here post with pseudonyms?
Old 09-29-09, 09:25 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know plenty of women roadies who both prefer to avoid high-traffic roads and dislike bike-specific infrastructure. They prefer vehicular cycling over depending on mode-separated facilities, but they choose routes that feature less potential for social friction. How should one classify them? I still consider them vehicular cyclists.

Even the most die-hard female vehicular cyclists have better things to do than waste time and energy arguing about facilities, especially online. They tend to focus more on harassment prevention and legal issues, if anything, and are more consensus-oriented. Or they have better social lives.
Old 09-29-09, 10:57 PM
coffeecake
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1.

There are less women VC advocates because there are less women cycling than men in general. Postulating that women bike less because they are afraid of vehicles is reductionist and does nothing to get more women on bikes. I would say that some people bike less because they are less assertive or have seen accidents or do not like the idea of being on the road while not in a car.

Women are still struggling for equal treatment in the cycling world to begin with, let alone becoming outspoken advocates of VC. And titling the thread "Simple Question - Are There ANY Women Advocating for Vehicular Cycling?" sounds accusatory - as if women are at fault for not becoming or having any strong VC advocates. Sorry, sir, we'll get right on that!
Old 09-29-09, 11:39 PM
bsut
just a commuter

Bikes: 1999 Specialized Allez Elite Triple, 197? Melton Tandem, 1972 Oxford 24" unicycle, 1973 Oxford 20" giraffe unicycle, lots of others in the family fleet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you met Keri Caffrey, or read any of her items on her Commute Orlando blog?
Old 09-30-09, 04:59 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecake
+1.

There are less women VC advocates because there are less women cycling than men in general. Postulating that women bike less because they are afraid of vehicles is reductionist and does nothing to get more women on bikes. I would say that some people bike less because they are less assertive or have seen accidents or do not like the idea of being on the road while not in a car.

Women are still struggling for equal treatment in the cycling world to begin with, let alone becoming outspoken advocates of VC. And titling the thread "Simple Question - Are There ANY Women Advocating for Vehicular Cycling?" sounds accusatory - as if women are at fault for not becoming or having any strong VC advocates. Sorry, sir, we'll get right on that!
+1 again. In addition, it is also mostly men who argue about things on the Internet.

Also +1 for Keri and Commute Orlando. She's got some great articles and videos. She also helped found a women's cycling club called "The BOBbies" (Babes on Bikes), which adheres to VC principles. Also see https://www.youtube.com/CommuteOrlando and https://luvbobbies.com/.
Old 09-30-09, 10:47 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you didn't really answer the question, perhaps I should rephrase it: are any of these women you mentioned active advocates for vehicular cycling or do they advocate for other forms of bike infrastructure and facilities that are more conducive to cycling without elevated adrenaline and testosterone levels?
Clearly yes.

More generally, there are many observed gender differences including behavior -- for an interesting and well-written take on the matter read Crossing by D McClosky -- such that asserting a causal relationship is quite difficult. A long literature that discusses how women argue/discuss matters differently than men -- at least the subset that I read -- would support some of the observations made here. My take on it, is that making assertions on "how VC" females are based on comparing female to male internet posts is probably biased.
Old 10-04-09, 12:27 PM
Minerva
Lone Ranger

Bikes: Trek 7200FX(unfortunately)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am also a female who rides vehicularly. I agree with all points made by coffeecake and would like to add something else that I have experienced as a female bike commuter. My my family, friends, and co-workers continually discourage from taking a more assertive position on the road or for commuting by bike altogether and I believe in part it is because I'm a female. I am told that I should ride on the sidewalk, not ride at all, never ride at night, don't ever ride in the cold... however, a male co-worker at my job who commutes by bike is never admonished at all. I had one woman come up to me and say, "if you had a child, you wouldn't act so irresponsibly". How insulting..

I think women are still thought of as being delicate and nervous, and needing protection, and this attitude especially from your peers, can have an affect on women who aren't as stubborn and rebellious as I. I have also been told by other women that besides being terrified of getting hit, they are too self-conscious to get on a bicycle unless they are at the beach or in the park. I believe that building seperate paths and facilities for cyclists only reinforces this fear that cars and bicycles can't co-exist safely. We need to address the fears that some women may have in riding vehicularly which requires a little courage to get out there and assert your right to travel safely on public roads. Perhaps it's different in places where a lot of people travel by bicycle, but I can count on one hand how many cyclists I've seen on the road here. And I have never seen another female cyclist riding in the road since I have started commuting. Plenty of sidewalk cyclists- none riding vehicularly.

Last edited by Minerva; 10-04-09 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 04:51 PM
danarnold
Kaffee Nazi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it hard to discuss these 'women' issues without buying into the bull that women should be treated differently. I have two daughters, one a Harvard educated lawyer, the other a financial analyst. I'm very proud of both of them and of the fact they were encouraged to be all they could be and that. Gender difference issues were never dignified by being acknowledged, except for the inescapable physical differences.
Old 10-04-09, 08:02 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
ask them about biking in boston and how pleasant it would be for a mom with their infant in a trailer.

well, all those american wymmen just need to HTFU

why is american female bicycling participation so low compared to other countries?

why do the elderly bike in such low numbers in this country? fully 25 percent of danish over 75 bicycle for transportation. here, a fraction of a percent.

there are barriers to more popular cycling in america. those of you blissfully unaware, read "the four types of bicyclist" by Portlands' Roger Geller.

the four types of cyclist

it lays out bike participation and barriers to greater US cycling in a non sexist way. very compelling, as are John Puchers' frequent visits to this topic.

the Roger Geller article is required background reading as to why more people do not bicycle in america.

Last edited by Bekologist; 10-04-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 08:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah, I too am tired of the sausage fest that is cycling
Old 10-08-09, 11:12 PM
ChipSeal
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Filigree" at Lovely bicycle! is an advocate for vehicular cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.